PHOTO THREAD.......post whatever pics you want.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My neighbor to the north's lawn where her mowing contractor missed an area today. My parents called this a "holiday" - which I learned at an early age when I mowed our lawn for a quarter. Or sometimes I just was told to mow it, period....lol....

I thought this was pretty funny and bet she didn't even notice.

IMG_7941.JPG

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This is the dopey looking house being built behind me right now. Who in their right mind would want a house that looks like this big (bad word) box. It has zero personality. I met the owners and they are dipwads. Now I have pinheads on 3 sides of me and only 1 decent neighbor - the one to my south. :rolleyes:

Fortunately - I planted bamboo along my west property line to screen them out......and they are supposed to add a 6' PVC fence on top of that wall, which will be even better.

IMG_7949.JPGIMG_7945.JPG

Reactions: seebell

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Holiday. A term we used when I was a house painter, as in you've got a holiday on that door. i.e. a missed spot. I haven't heard it in a while.

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
And here is another freaking monstrosity that was built just a few years after I moved into my house. I used to have a decent view of the Intercoastal waterway before this do-do built this glorified barn. I'm sure he wanted to just build the biggest house possible so it would have the highest re-sale value. He went through three different architects and several builders. Then he passed away from cancer about 2 years after the house was finished. Zero personality...just a big box......:rolleyes:

IMG_7954.JPG

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Couple Spindle Palms. First one is in my front yard - second photo is someone else's front yard here on the island. I used to think mine was a Bottle Palm but as it has grown a little it's apparent it's a Spindle.

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Last week picked up lunch for Mom and I. Couple Popeye's $10 boxes. While waiting in the drive through couldn't help but notice this broken sprinkler head. Someone really did a number on it! In narrow landscape beds like this, I prefer to use drip tubing - the nice Rainbird stuff with a drip hole every 12". You install it after planting and before mulch is added so it's hidden from view. Perfect for long linear plantings.

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
This is the dopey looking house being built behind me right now. Who in their right mind would want a house that looks like this big (bad word) box. It has zero personality. I met the owners and they are dipwads. Now I have pinheads on 3 sides of me and only 1 decent neighbor - the one to my south. :rolleyes:

Fortunately - I planted bamboo along my west property line to screen them out......and they are supposed to add a 6' PVC fence on top of that wall, which will be even better.

View attachment 7428View attachment 7429
When you planted the Bamboo did you do anything to keep it contained?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
When you planted the Bamboo did you do anything to keep it contained?
The variety I used is a "clumper" - which means it does not send out underground running rhizomes, like a "runner" variety does.

Also, this variety, Bambusa textilis 'Gracilis' , is noted for staying rather compact at the base while maintaining a vertical growth habit.

You can Google it if you'd like to learn more. One article I just Googled had this to say:

Graceful Bamboo is a neat grower and does not drop as much leaf litter as other varieties. The growth habit makes this variety perfect for tight locations where some height is needed. It can serve as nice, tall privacy screens where two- to three-story buildings might overlook your hot tub or swimming pool. Another plus is it is quite cold-tolerant, taking temperatures down to 13 degrees.

FWIW, I have used quite a few different varieties in my work as a landscape contractor and this is the variety to use if you want privacy or screening without using too much space.

Since this is a photo thread....and on the subject of Bamboo....here's a project I did for a client who wanted a backyard living area with no grass but access to his work shop in back via truck where he did his metal fabrication artwork and also some seating features. I planted this variety of Bamboo on both sides to provide a sense of enclosure as well as screen out the undesirable views from the neighboring properties. I also used two different types of mulch to provide distinction between walk, drives, and sitting areas vs. gardens. Note the curving bed lines to provide visual flow.

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG
IMG_9501.JPG

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
The variety I used is a "clumper" - which means it does not send out underground running rhizomes, like a "runner" variety does.

Also, this variety, Bambusa textilis 'Gracilis' , is noted for staying rather compact at the base while maintaining a vertical growth habit.

You can Google it if you'd like to learn more. One article I just Googled had this to say:

Graceful Bamboo is a neat grower and does not drop as much leaf litter as other varieties. The growth habit makes this variety perfect for tight locations where some height is needed. It can serve as nice, tall privacy screens where two- to three-story buildings might overlook your hot tub or swimming pool. Another plus is it is quite cold-tolerant, taking temperatures down to 13 degrees.

FWIW, I have used quite a few different varieties in my work as a landscape contractor and this is the variety to use if you want privacy or screening without using too much space.

Since this is a photo thread....and on the subject of Bamboo....here's a project I did for a client who wanted a backyard living area with no grass but access to his work shop in back via truck where he did his metal fabrication artwork and also some seating features. I planted this variety of Bamboo on both sides to provide a sense of enclosure as well as screen out the undesirable views from the neighboring properties. I also used two different types of mulch to provide distinction between walk, drives, and sitting areas vs. gardens. Note the curving bed lines to provide visual flow.

View attachment 7446

View attachment 7447

View attachment 7448

View attachment 7449

View attachment 7450

View attachment 7451

View attachment 7452

View attachment 7453

View attachment 7454

View attachment 7455

View attachment 7456
View attachment 7457
Thanks for the info. Also great pics and work!

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for the info. Also great pics and work!
You're welcome and thanks, Todd.

There's some misunderstanding about Bamboo and a lot of horror stories 'out there' so glad I could help.

Most important thing to understand is all Bamboo species can be put into two categories:

1) Clumping and 2) Running

Best to always go with Clumping unless you have a specific reason to use a Running species and then you'd have to use some techniques during installation to mitigate the undesirable aspects of it spreading where you don't want it to.

There are plenty of landscape architects though who designate a running species because they want that particular look that species/variety offers. They usually include specification to assist with containment. For me that's a whole lot of phoey, when there are so many clumping species to pick from. But it goes with the territory. Over the years I was in business I had to put up with a fair amount of BS from someone else's "design specs". Mostly I did for monetary reasons so there was a justification, I guess.

For that project in those pics I was able to source some nice 'Gracillis' in 7 gallon size for a decent price and that included delivery right to the job site. The nursery specialized in bamboo and were in central florida about a 1.5 hour one way. I kind got lucky there. But that's what happens when you spend some time on the phone beating the bushes (NPI). Later on I began buying from a more local nursery and picked up what I needed. I usually bought them in a 15 gallon size and then divided the clumps using a sawzall so if I needed a total of 20 plants I would only have to buy 10. Then some of them would yield an extra clump so I'd get 3 plants from one pot.

Here's another backyard project. Client bought the house, had a pool put in, and needed landscaping. I immediately design a bamboo perimeter to both screen undesirable views and provide privacy. I used drip tubing for that entire line of bamboo, which lined the 3 sides of their backyard. Notice how wide I made the beds so we could leave plenty of space between the plants and fence and lawn.

This was a project that I cut up the 15 gallon sized bamboo into halves and thirds. It stretches the budget as well as reduces transport and installation labor.

Check out the date stamps on the photos and how fast the bamboo fills in and flushes out. This client will never have to do any maintenance on that row of bamboo. Maybe if a culm somehow becomes lazy and lays out over the lawn he'll have to clip it. But that's something that usually doesn't happen. No issues with freezes either in winter. This variety handles down into the teens.

BTW - those Elephant Ears just popped up on their own. The owner wanted to leave them so we did.

I handled all the irrigation too and low voltage l/s lighting. Using LED and powder coated aluminum fixtures. You can see in the one pic we fertilize all material before mulching using both Milorganite and a complete time-release nursery formula. Sometimes I also put down a granulated pre-emergent herbicide to help with weeds. The maintenance person this client had wasn't all that great. Didn't even do much edging until I got on them myself.

One more comment - the Hawaiian Ti plant variety I used ('Maria') has the most vertical growth habit of any Ti plant I've ever used. Just look at those babies! Really impressive tight habit, which helped with the tight locations I planted them in. I picked those up at HD to save some time so that worked out well. And that bright pink colour is so tropical! (y)

DSC02266.JPG
IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0805.JPGIMG_1436.JPGIMG_3534.JPGIMG_3537.JPGIMG_3546.JPGIMG_5604.JPGIMG_5605.JPGIMG_5608.JPG

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
You're welcome and thanks, Todd.

There's some misunderstanding about Bamboo and a lot of horror stories 'out there' so glad I could help.

Most important thing to understand is all Bamboo species can be put into two categories:

1) Clumping and 2) Running

Best to always go with Clumping unless you have a specific reason to use a Running species and then you'd have to use some techniques during installation to mitigate the undesirable aspects of it spreading where you don't want it to.

There are plenty of landscape architects though who designate a running species because they want that particular look that species/variety offers. They usually include specification to assist with containment. For me that's a whole lot of phoey, when there are so many clumping species to pick from. But it goes with the territory. Over the years I was in business I had to put up with a fair amount of BS from someone else's "design specs". Mostly I did for monetary reasons so there was a justification, I guess.

For that project in those pics I was able to source some nice 'Gracillis' in 7 gallon size for a decent price and that included delivery right to the job site. The nursery specialized in bamboo and were in central florida about a 1.5 hour one way. I kind got lucky there. But that's what happens when you spend some time on the phone beating the bushes (NPI). Later on I began buying from a more local nursery and picked up what I needed. I usually bought them in a 15 gallon size and then divided the clumps using a sawzall so if I needed a total of 20 plants I would only have to buy 10. Then some of them would yield an extra clump so I'd get 3 plants from one pot.

Here's another backyard project. Client bought the house, had a pool put in, and needed landscaping. I immediately design a bamboo perimeter to both screen undesirable views and provide privacy. I used drip tubing for that entire line of bamboo, which lined the 3 sides of their backyard. Notice how wide I made the beds so we could leave plenty of space between the plants and fence and lawn.

This was a project that I cut up the 15 gallon sized bamboo into halves and thirds. It stretches the budget as well as reduces transport and installation labor.

Check out the date stamps on the photos and how fast the bamboo fills in and flushes out. This client will never have to do any maintenance on that row of bamboo. Maybe if a culm somehow becomes lazy and lays out over the lawn he'll have to clip it. But that's something that usually doesn't happen. No issues with freezes either in winter. This variety handles down into the teens.

BTW - those Elephant Ears just popped up on their own. The owner wanted to leave them so we did.

I handled all the irrigation too and low voltage l/s lighting. Using LED and powder coated aluminum fixtures. You can see in the one pic we fertilize all material before mulching using both Milorganite and a complete time-release nursery formula. Sometimes I also put down a granulated pre-emergent herbicide to help with weeds. The maintenance person this client had wasn't all that great. Didn't even do much edging until I got on them myself.

One more comment - the Hawaiian Ti plant variety I used ('Maria') has the most vertical growth habit of any Ti plant I've ever used. Just look at those babies! Really impressive tight habit, which helped with the tight locations I planted them in. I picked those up at HD to save some time so that worked out well. And that bright pink colour is so tropical! (y)

View attachment 7471
View attachment 7472View attachment 7473View attachment 7474View attachment 7475View attachment 7476View attachment 7477View attachment 7478View attachment 7479View attachment 7480View attachment 7481View attachment 7482
It's amazing how well it fills in over the years. Are those new guinea impatiens in some of the pics? Also what are the plants with the pink tops? I really like them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It's amazing how well it fills in over the years. Are those new guinea impatiens in some of the pics? Also what are the plants with the pink tops? I really like them.
That's why you really don't need to start off with a large expensive Bamboo. They do grow fast - especially given the right conditions, some of which is dependent on how good the installer is. ;)

Bamboo is not cheap either so costs can add up very quickly. I prefer to stretch my project dollar - so I can add lighting for example - and still stay on budget.

Those flowers are actually Sunpatiens. Very similar to New Guinea Impatiens except more durable, IMHO. Especially in sunny environments.

The tall pink top plants are the Hawaiian Ti Plants I mentioned. Variety "Maria". They are one of my favourite "go to" plants that really help elevate a landscape's visual impact. Guess you could call them a force multiplier.

As a designer, you tend to develop a process when doing design work. Makes things easier and more efficient. Part of that is having a quiver of certain species and varieties of material to pull from that you have concluded suits your purpose of creating a visual impact.

Sometimes I use the phrase "architectural plant" because that particular plant provides an actual architectural type of impact. That can't be said about just any plant.

This one for example...Philodendron selloum....what an amazing leaf. There is no other plant that provides this type of visual impact. A good designer takes that philosophy and implements it in his work. It's as simple as that, more or less.

• Thank You
Reactions: Toddrn and seebell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.