Troy vs South Alabama

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I only watched the game for a few minutes, but read that Troy had 4 turnovers. Wow. Guess they got too complacent from beating LSU.. rat poison. Saban put it bluntly but he is right. Anyone can get beat on any given day. Glad we have been able to limit turnovers this year. I think that's a big momentum swing (as we saw v Texas AM). Didn't Auburn have 5 turnovers when they struggled with Mercer?

I imagine Troy learned their lesson. Wish they could have won though.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
When asked if he thought USA could beat LSU, Orgeron said: "unintelligible grumbling...we tigers...more unintelligible grumbling."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Danielson was on Finebaum while I was driving out to pickup my wife from work and he was lauding LSU's players for their playing through injuries. I kinda realized that LSU went out there playing for their whole season and nearly half their big contributors are half-speed (or little better or worse than that). I don't think we're gonna see LSU grind out many more wins like Florida simply because their bodies aren't gonna bounce back. They may get to 8 wins just because they have Aggy's number and Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee are absolute messes. But I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the Aggy game this season depending on how Mond develops.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Danielson was on Finebaum while I was driving out to pickup my wife from work and he was lauding LSU's players for their playing through injuries. I kinda realized that LSU went out there playing for their whole season and nearly half their big contributors are half-speed (or little better or worse than that). I don't think we're gonna see LSU grind out many more wins like Florida simply because their bodies aren't gonna bounce back. They may get to 8 wins just because they have Aggy's number and Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee are absolute messes. But I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the Aggy game this season depending on how Mond develops.
Good points. I think this added to the reported drama on the coaching staff led to a perfect storm for LSU. Im not taking anything away from Troy. They're a decent mid-major team, who won the game. But, you bring up a good point regarding some off the field issues they were dealing with that week.

I agree about TAMU beating them. I think the Aggies are a better team and should be well coached. I am still baffled how TAMU lost the UCLA game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sometimes the coaches taking the storm and not the players is a good thing. Heck, we've all seen Saban take a bullet like a secret service member for the team's psyche if it is necessary. Maybe do a blow up that makes him the center of the story, etc...just deflect it the media's hawkish eyes from the players when things ain't going 100% awesome. But this was unintentional...wouldn't expect a choreographed distraction from that guy at LSU.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Sometimes the coaches taking the storm and not the players is a good thing. Heck, we've all seen Saban take a bullet like a secret service member for the team's psyche if it is necessary. Maybe do a blow up that makes him the center of the story, etc...just deflect it the media's hawkish eyes from the players when things ain't going 100% awesome. But this was unintentional...wouldn't expect a choreographed distraction from that guy at LSU.
Would love to hear him say choreographed distraction.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This was a game South had to win if they wanted to keep their coach, have any chance in the conference, have any chance at a bowl, etc. The fact that UAB just beat the same LaTech team that crushed South has to have Dr. Erdman (their AD) giving some serious thought to the direction of the program. The home loss to Idaho many had thought would seal Joey's fate as head coach, but this win may get him a reprieve if they can piece together a few more.

Their indoor practice facility fell down before it every got built (the steel framework collapsed) and Joey doesn't have a contract past the final seconds of this season. They keep throwing out information about an on-campus facility but they can't come close to selling out Ladd on a given night. In other words they have a lot of work to do to get to where even Troy is, even though the Jags did win last night.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't think there is any danger of that happening, it's just not meeting the expectations or what they had hoped for. I think that originally they had hoped to outshine the Jeff Bower era Southern Miss program and UAB and get invited into C-USA at some point. Then conference realignment happened and it seemed like everyone from the Belt got invited BUT South, and they have not thrived at the Sun Belt level and seem to be kind of spinning their wheels.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is attendance at games. The Mobile area is such a big Alabama/Auburn area that it may take a generation or more for South to establish an alumni and fan base, and who knows if they can keep the wheels on that long? I work with many young engineers who graduated from South, and they are all-in on Jaguar football, but with only about 15,000 people going to games how do you justify paying a top coach, improve facilities, etc?

rtr

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Joey Jones put USA on the map. He did a great job at Mountain Brook then helped BSC get their program started before making fireworks in LA. A program like that will ebb and flow in football for a while until it gets well established and that takes time. Troy is a venerable program and they just lost to them. If they get rid of Jones it will set them back a long time IMHO.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Poor LSU, this shows Troy is not a world beater, must make that loss even worse now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Jones' contract is up, I'd offer him some sort of job in the administration and hire someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.