Link: Dabo will be attending Bama vs Arky game on Saturday - 92 Championship Team Reunion

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
i've never had a problem with the home crowd booing the other team as they come out of the tunnel, (mainly if it is a big rival). aside from that, i agree, that only if they are being classless.
This is generally good natured and is really about getting into the game, not about the other team. It doesn't feel like booing in the traditional sense - more like razzing. What I don't like is the personalized booing that happens during games, where a person is essentially under attack by the fans.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Saban was honored at an LSU game (on our off week) for their title team I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't either because Saban has 0% chance to ever be the coach at LSU again. Do you not see how this situation is different?

They should feel about the same as I do when CGS attends Aggies alum meetups. I have no problem with it and am happy to cheer them on.
Agree, but CGS has long been retired so not even remotely the same situation as this.

You guys are missing the point. Clemson fans are paranoid about losing Dabo to Alabama once Saban retires. That's why I'm sure a big portion of their fan base feel a certain way about this..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coach Stallings is not likely to get very many more opportunities to meet the young men he coached to his only national championship. This is what Dabo's trek to Tuscaloosa is about tomorrow. Coach Stallings was instrumental in getting Swinney started down the coaching path much like Don James was to Nick Saban. Alabama fans shouldn't boo him tomorrow and Clemson's fans shouldn't fret over this trip too much. Some things aren't about the competition of the moment and the fact is that Alabama and Clemson have sorta become like distant family at this juncture.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I wish I knew what the fascination of Dabo is....I just don't get it!

Wonder if he will sport orange!
Outside of Urban Meyer, he's the ONLY football coach who has fielded a team (twice) who we met in the NC game that was our true equal in talent, toughness and relentlessness. He's basically constructed (from a talent standpoint) an "Alabama" in Clemson. What he's done has been very, very impressive. To suggest otherwise is simply putting one's head in the sand.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Outside of Urban Meyer, he's the ONLY football coach who has fielded a team (twice) who we met in the NC game that was our true equal in talent, toughness and relentlessness. He's basically constructed (from a talent standpoint) an "Alabama" in Clemson. What he's done has been very, very impressive. To suggest otherwise is simply putting one's head in the sand.
ehhh........ They weren't our equal in 2015 - that game was Over in every REAL sense when we scored with 2 minutes left to open a 45-33 margin - that was the REAL difference in those two teams, not the 5 point margin after we gave them a "Garbage Time" score with seconds left.

Last year they beat us Fair and Square - and they were the better team THAT NIGHT. But if anyone thinks they faced a performance even REMOTELY representative of the real ability of our 2016 team, then - Respectfully - they have their head in the sand.

The game is played for a reason, and its up to every team to show up ready to play. Their team did, our team didn't (Thanks in part of Lane Kiffin's selfish "Behind"). They did what they had to do on the day they had to do it. And they are the defending NC's because they beat us. But "it is what it is".

I am a FAN of Dabo Swinney!!! I think he's a fine coach and a GREAT HUMAN BEING.
But I'm not yet ready to crown him the next Nick Saban or Paul Bryant.

Urban Myth beat us down pretty good in the 2014 P_ayoff semi. Where he is right now - with all the resources in the world and near complete Immunity from NZAA interference - Where is he?

Dabo MIGHT win the next 10 NC's in a row.
But as of TODAY - he has the same number of Titles as Jean Cheatnick, phil foulmer, Larry Coker, Lloyd Carr, LaVell Edwards, Bill McCartney, or Jimbo Fulmer.

just sayin'.......

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We must have been watching two different games my friend. The 2015 game they physically matched us all game. The difference was Lane Kiffin out schemed them with O.J. Howard and Coach Saban pulled the rabbit out of his hat with that HUGE onside kick out of nowhere. Those schematic tactics was a HUGE difference in the game. But from a physicality standpoint, relentlessness standpoint and toughness. They matched us blow for blow.

They're in our league, whether we want to admit it or not. I'm not a big fan of pulling the "we didn't play up to our ability" card when we lose or when a team plays us very close. Especially the 2015 NC game. Look at how many players from that Clemson team (2015) are playing in the NFL today on active rosters. The quarterback is on the verge of being a star in Houston. They were no doubt in our class in 2015 and Dabo should get full credit for that. He's completely changed the culture at Clemson and he's got the record and hardware to prove it.

ehhh........ They weren't our equal in 2015 - that game was Over in every REAL sense when we scored with 2 minutes left to open a 45-33 margin - that was the REAL difference in those two teams, not the 5 point margin after we gave them a "Garbage Time" score with seconds left.

Last year they beat us Fair and Square - and they were the better team THAT NIGHT. But if anyone thinks they faced a performance even REMOTELY representative of the real ability of our 2016 team, then - Respectfully - they have their head in the sand.

The game is played for a reason, and its up to every team to show up ready to play. Their team did, our team didn't (Thanks in part of Lane Kiffin's selfish "Behind"). They did what they had to do on the day they had to do it. And they are the defending NC's because they beat us. But "it is what it is".

I am a FAN of Dabo Swinney!!! I think he's a fine coach and a GREAT HUMAN BEING.

Urban Myth beat us down pretty good in the 2014 P_ayoff semi. Where he is right now - with all the resources in the world and near complete Immunity from NZAA interference - Where is he?

But as of TODAY - he has the same number of Titles as Jean Cheatnick, phil foulmer, Larry Coker, Lloyd Carr, LaVell Edwards, Bill McCartney, or Jimbo Fulmer.

just sayin'.......

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
We must have been watching two different games my friend. The 2015 game they physically matched us all game. The difference was Lane Kiffin out schemed them with O.J. Howard and Coach Saban pulled the rabbit out of his hat with that HUGE onside kick out of nowhere. Those schematic tactics was a HUGE difference in the game. But from a physicality standpoint, relentlessness standpoint and toughness. They matched us blow for blow.

They're in our league, whether we want to admit it or not. I'm not a big fan of pulling the "we didn't play up to our ability" card when we lose or when a team plays us very close. Like the 2015 NC game. Look at how many players from that Clemson team (2015) are playing in the NFL today on active rosters. The quarterback is on the verge of being a star in Houston. They were no doubt in our class in 2015 and Dabo should get full credit for that. He's completely changed the culture at Clemson and he's got the record and hardware to prove it.
Well said my friend.

bamafan216

1st Team
Jun 28, 2002
Huntsville, AL
Ok, I agree with that....but doesn't mean I have to like him....how many people on here LIKE Urban Meyer!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ok, I agree with that....but doesn't mean I have to like him....how many people on here LIKE Urban Meyer!
I agree. Honestly, based on everything that I have heard and read about both Meyer and Saban, I don't care for either. By that I mean that I wouldn't choose either as friends. But they are both gifted head coaches.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

They're in our league, whether we want to admit it or not. I'm not a big fan of pulling the "we didn't play up to our ability" card when we lose or when a team plays us very close. Especially the 2015 NC game. Look at how many players from that Clemson team (2015) are playing in the NFL today on active rosters. The quarterback is on the verge of being a star in Houston. They were no doubt in our class in 2015 and Dabo should get full credit for that. He's completely changed the culture at Clemson and he's got the record and hardware to prove it.
Agreed - remove the two fluke plays (onside kick and kickoff returned for a TD) and Clemson might have won the game. They were Alabama's equal in every way other than special teams.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I am always proud of former players that go on to be successful coaches. They will always be part of the Bama family and history. There have been many over the years. If they happen to coach against Bama at some point... well that is just there job. No hard feelings.
It was really petty a few years ago when Mike Shula took Sylvester Croom's name off a Spring Game award just because he was coaching at Mississippi State at the time.

At Alabama we need to always show class.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Urban's not a Bama Boy either. Big difference. I'm not a fan of Dabo's off the field way of doing things. But from a "between the lines" standpoint it's hard to argue the results. I don't have any personal dislike for him. My dislike of Urban is simply from a competitive standpoint, it's not personal either.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I agree. Honestly, based on everything that I have heard and read about both Meyer and Saban, I don't care for either. By that I mean that I wouldn't choose either as friends. But they are both gifted head coaches.
LOL!!! Yea, we didn't hire Nick Saban to be "nice", and y'all didn't hire Urban to be "nice". :wink:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I wish I knew what the fascination of Dabo is....I just don't get it!

Wonder if he will sport orange!

just sayin'.......
For the 2 national championship games we hold a 1 point edge in total points, 76-75. All the ifs, ands and butts aside I think we're lucky to have split the games to be honest..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I can't speak about Meyer but I can tell you you're probably spot on regarding Saban. I've got a few friends who have had the "pleasure" of working with or around Coach Saban when he was at Michigan St, LSU and during his time at Alabama. It's not pleasant...

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Agreed - remove the two fluke plays (onside kick and kickoff returned for a TD) and Clemson might have won the game. They were Alabama's equal in every way other than special teams.
RESPECTFULLY, I find it Funny how its always a "fluke" when a special teams play goes against the team one is pulling for..... :wink: The "Fluke" special teams plays in that particular NC contest were practiced plays that were CALLED by the coaches.

It wasn't a "Fluke' when aTm blocked our punt for a safety this past weekend. I'd bet dollars to donuts its a play they practice, and that their coaches called for that particular circumstance.

It wasn't a "fluke" when we blocked an FRU punt in the opener - our starting RB didn't just wander out on the field on a whim - it was a designed play.
And much as it pains me to say it, it wasn't really a Fluke (although I will always claim it was ;) ) when the booger eaters put a fast "hands" player on the goal line on the last play of the game in 2013. That was a designed play that they were prepared to execute and our guys were NOT PREPARED to defend. :(

Special teams ARE part of the game, and saying "oh, if it wasn't for that on-sides kick" is about like saying, "oh, if it wasn't for the OL not blocking" or "If it wasn't for not defending the long pass". ALL those things are part of the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For the 2 national championship games we hold a 1 point edge in total points, 76-75. All the ifs, ands and butts aside I think we're lucky to have split the games to be honest..
And they feel the same way. It takes some luck to win a championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.