Link: Dabo will be attending Bama vs Arky game on Saturday - 92 Championship Team Reunion

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
RESPECTFULLY, I find it Funny how its always a "fluke" when a special teams play goes against the team one is pulling for..... :wink: The "Fluke" special teams plays in that particular NC contest were practiced plays that were CALLED by the coaches.

It wasn't a "Fluke' when aTm blocked our punt for a safety this past weekend. I'd bet dollars to donuts its a play they practice, and that their coaches called for that particular circumstance.

It wasn't a "fluke" when we blocked an FRU punt in the opener - our starting RB didn't just wander out on the field on a whim - it was a designed play.
And much as it pains me to say it, it wasn't really a Fluke (although I will always claim it was ;) ) when the booger eaters put a fast "hands" player on the goal line on the last play of the game in 2013. That was a designed play that they were prepared to execute and our guys were NOT PREPARED to defend. :(
Special teams ARE part of the game, and saying "oh, if it wasn't for that on-sides kick" is about like saying, "oh, if it wasn't for the OL not blocking" or "If it wasn't for not defending the long pass". ALL those things are part of the game.
Sorry, by fluke I mean that they rarely occur in championship games. As I said, special teams was the difference in that game. But luck also played a factor.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
RESPECTFULLY, I find it Funny how its always a "fluke" when a special teams play goes against the team one is pulling for..... :wink: The "Fluke" special teams plays in that particular NC contest were practiced plays that were CALLED by the coaches.

It wasn't a "Fluke' when aTm blocked our punt for a safety this past weekend. I'd bet dollars to donuts its a play they practice, and that their coaches called for that particular circumstance.

It wasn't a "fluke" when we blocked an FRU punt in the opener - our starting RB didn't just wander out on the field on a whim - it was a designed play.
And much as it pains me to say it, it wasn't really a Fluke (although I will always claim it was ;) ) when the booger eaters put a fast "hands" player on the goal line on the last play of the game in 2013. That was a designed play that they were prepared to execute and our guys were NOT PREPARED to defend. :(

Special teams ARE part of the game, and saying "oh, if it wasn't for that on-sides kick" is about like saying, "oh, if it wasn't for the OL not blocking" or "If it wasn't for not defending the long pass". ALL those things are part of the game.
It's no worse than saying "We didn't play up to our ability" as an excuse for when a team plays us close rather than giving the other team credit for being good. They both come across as sour grapes and on the same level as "If Colt wouldn't have gotten hurt."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Outside of Urban Meyer, he's the ONLY football coach who has fielded a team (twice) who we met in the NC game that was our true equal in talent, toughness and relentlessness. He's basically constructed (from a talent standpoint) an "Alabama" in Clemson. What he's done has been very, very impressive. To suggest otherwise is simply putting one's head in the sand.
Amen! And, I think we'd all agree that there's an advantage at Alabama that Clemson doesn't enjoy. Not doubt we were "down" when CNS got hugged by the drunk women, but the Alabama's, TOSU's, Sooners, and similar programs go down but never go out. Clemson hadn't won a NC since the early 80's so it took more to build it there IMO.

Urban's not a Bama Boy either. Big difference. I'm not a fan of Dabo's off the field way of doing things. But from a "between the lines" standpoint it's hard to argue the results. I don't have any personal dislike for him. My dislike of Urban is simply from a competitive standpoint, it's not personal either.
To me the biggest difference is their ages. Dabo is winning championships in his 40's. I think CNS and CUM didn't start winning them until their 50's (I'm sure somone will check this for me).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Amen! And, I think we'd all agree that there's an advantage at Alabama that Clemson doesn't enjoy. Not doubt we were "down" when CNS got hugged by the drunk women, but the Alabama's, TOSU's, Sooners, and similar programs go down but never go out. Clemson hadn't won a NC since the early 80's so it took more to build it there IMO.

To me the biggest difference is their ages. Dabo is winning championships in his 40's. I think CNS and CUM didn't start winning them until their 50's (I'm sure somone will check this for me).
Meyer won his first at age 42.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Meyer won his first at age 42.
OK, thought I might be wrong on that.

But more to the point now. Dabo has many more viable years to coach than CUM right now (if we were to be looking at CNS replacement). Not that I think it would matter because I seriously doubt CUM or Bama would considering working together at this stage of his career).

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
We must have been watching two different games my friend. The 2015 game they physically matched us all game. The difference was Lane Kiffin out schemed them with O.J. Howard and Coach Saban pulled the rabbit out of his hat with that HUGE onside kick out of nowhere. Those schematic tactics was a HUGE difference in the game. But from a physicality standpoint, relentlessness standpoint and toughness. They matched us blow for blow.

They're in our league, whether we want to admit it or not. I'm not a big fan of pulling the "we didn't play up to our ability" card when we lose or when a team plays us very close. Especially the 2015 NC game. Look at how many players from that Clemson team (2015) are playing in the NFL today on active rosters. The quarterback is on the verge of being a star in Houston. They were no doubt in our class in 2015 and Dabo should get full credit for that. He's completely changed the culture at Clemson and he's got the record and hardware to prove it.
RESPECTFULLY, and just "FWIW" - I post this NOT to argue the point further, but simply to offer my perspective.

As far as what I post here - look, I'm not about to get in the face of a Clemson fan (in person OR on the Net) and talk smack about how we "should" have won or how they "caught a break"!!!
NO WAY!! What I tell Clemson fans is - "CONGRATULATIONS" Period.
When I post here, I presume I'm talking "in the family" and not for public consumption.

That said - "We" play the game because it matters. And one on the reasons it matters is that teams of 18-20 year olds (sometimes) take the field with very different levels of mental and physical preparedness, even in very big games.

I'm NOT suggesting that Clemson was a bad or mediocre team in 2015 or '16!!!! I'm not suggesting we "whipped" them the way we beat Old mess and Vandy a few weeks ago!!! Not at all. Both those Clemson teams were great teams.
To the extent I gave the impression that we did or "Should have" routed Clemson in 2015 or 2016, then I was wrong and I retract the statement!!! That's not what I think.

But - riddle me this? Did we play our "best game" in the 2013/14 (or the 2008/09) Sugar Bowl? Or against Tenn in 2009? Or against aubarn or USCe in 2010? Or against aTm in 2012?
I'd say this - respectfully - NOT as an "EXCUSE" - its simply a reality.

If ANY OTHER TEAM in America fired their OC the week before a Super Bowl or NC game, I bet we'd all say - "There goes their chances of winning the Title". But when Alabama did it, most of us (me included) assumed we'd just overcome it. The same way we overcame a true Fr QB with limited passing skills, and losing our best Defensive player at mid-season.

I'm not saying that's an "excuse" - but it still reality.

How good was Clemson last year? Good enough to be THE Legit NC!!! "In our League"? No Question!

But I still think there MIGHT have been 4-5 teams who could have beaten us in that game, the way we played on January 9, 2017.
Laugh if you want - but I think USCw might well have beaten us, and Penn State (or even OU or LSu) might well have taken us right down the to the wire just like Clem did (if not outright beaten us). Reality is, save for a couple broken plays where Jalen used his skill to create "magic" out of thin air (NOT a Fluke but a Great Individual Effort!!!), we played about as bad a game offensively that night as we've played in many years.
Again, Just my opinion - NO ONE has to agree with me!!!!! :)

Roll Tide!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My thought is by the time Coach Saban hangs the whistle up at Bama Dabo will be well into his 50's. Mid 50's is my guess. Saban doesn't appear and has reiterated he's going strong and sees no end in sight.
Well, assuming things stay at the level they are now, any Bama fan who doesn't hope this is crazy!

But, there will be a day, when we'll have to have the conversation and when that day comes, CUM won't be in that discussion for a number of reasons IMO, but mostly because of his age by then. Dabo, on the other hand, will likely still be a viable choice, even in his mid 50's IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OK, thought I might be wrong on that.

But more to the point now. Dabo has many more viable years to coach than CUM right now (if we were to be looking at CNS replacement). Not that I think it would matter because I seriously doubt CUM or Bama would considering working together at this stage of his career).
Meyer is 53, Dabo is 47. They are pretty close in age. But, as you suggested, Meyer is not going to leave OSU until he is ready to retire. He essentially runs the school and is treated like a king. The only other school that might interest him (Notre Dame) would never allow him to have this much power.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
But I still think there MIGHT have been 4-5 teams who could have beaten us in that game, the way we played on January 9, 2017.
Laugh if you want - but I think USCw might well have beaten us, and Penn State (or even OU or LSu) might well have taken us right down the to the wire just like Clem did (if not outright beaten us). Reality is, save for a couple broken plays where Jalen used his skill to create "magic" out of thin air (NOT a Fluke but a Great Individual Effort!!!), we played about as bad a game offensively that night as we've played in many years.

Roll Tide!!
You raise some legitimate points regarding our offensive coordinator situation (which have been discussed ad nauseam), but I think the point is Clemson's talent level is the main reason we struggled as much as we did.

FWIW, I think we would have taken Penn State or USCw to the woodshed under the same circumstances. Why? Because of their talent level. Clemson, IMO, was about our only equal in talent both of those years and it's looking like that's the case again this year. Rubber match upcoming???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reality is, save for a couple broken plays where Jalen used his skill to create "magic" out of thin air (NOT a Fluke but a Great Individual Effort!!!), we played about as bad a game offensively that night as we've played in many years.

Roll Tide!!
JMO, but I don't think that you are giving their defense enough credit. Maybe Alabama's offense played poorly because their defensive front 7 was awesome, and 14 games of film provided them with a road map for limiting your offense?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Meyer is 53, Dabo is 47. They are pretty close in age. But, as you suggested, Meyer is not going to leave OSU until he is ready to retire. He essentially runs the school and is treated like a king. The only other school that might interest him (Notre Dame) would never allow him to have this much power.
I thought Meyer was a little older right now...like upper 50's. They are closer in age, but with Coach Meyer's heart problems and Dabo's youthful apeareance, that difference seems significant to me.

I know it's Dabo's personality and antics that some don't like. But I think much of that has to do with how they are so different than CNS's personality.

I do find it interesting they are "good friends" away from the game. And there is also no argueing that Dabo relates well to recruits too.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
My thought is by the time Coach Saban hangs the whistle up at Bama Dabo will be well into his 50's. Mid 50's is my guess. Saban doesn't appear and has reiterated he's going strong and sees no end in sight.
Just my 2 cents - and again, just my opinion and no one has to agree, ok?

But I think its very unlikely that Dabo Swinney is ever the HC at Alabama, barring unforeseen circumstances (such as a tragedy or other "act of God" that drastically changes the status quo).

And I say that as a FAN of Dabo Swinney!!! I've pulled for the guy since he was a walkon at UA when I was in Grad School, and that was before I'd ever heard the amazing story of the obstacles he overcame just to GET to Alabama in the first place. I'm NOT down on Dabo, I think he's a Great person, a great recruiter, and a very good coach, ok?

But here's the deal.

Nick Saban is not a young man, but he's in excellent health for his age. Barring the unforeseen, I think he's likely going to coach at least another 4-6 years, if not longer, but I think it would be risky to count on more than maybe about 5 more season after 2017. He will be 70 in 5 years, and how far he goes beyond 70 is anyone's guess.

But in the next 4-6 years, Dabo will Either Keep winning at more-or-less the same level, or he won't. (Just as an aside, Personally, I don't see his style working in the NFL, and I don't perceive he has any interest in the NFL, so I don't think its likely he takes an NFL job, but you never know....).

So, what happens if stays at Clempson but he Fails to keep winning at about the same level as the past 3-4 years? Lets assume he goes the next 5 years without making it to the P_ayoffs. Five years from now, in our "What-have-you-done-for-me-lately" culture, the glory of 2015 and '16 will be a faint memory. "Assuming" the hiring process isn't hijacked again the way it was in 1986, Dabo (in this hypothetical) probably Won't be a prime candidate to replace Nick Saban.

So - what if he keeps winning at the same general level? Lets say he makes the P_ayoffs more often than not the next ~5 years. IF that happens, odds are pretty good that he will get out of the semi's and play in the title game more than once, and if THAT happens, odds are pretty good that he wins at least one more title. He's already a living legend at Clempson - if he wins one (or more) further Titles, he will easily be the "Paul Bryant" of Clempson. There will be statues of him on their campus and streets and buildings named for him. At least two of his three kids will be current students or Grad's of Clempson. The ties there will be stronger than some of us might think.

Some may not realize that Clempson is a large school with significant assets. The reality is, in this hypothetical, Clempson WILL have the motivation AND THE RESOURCES to meet and beat ANY possible financial offer UA could make. So there will never be a financial benefit to him leaving.

I know its a big deal when "Mama Calls" - but reality is, in this situation, he will have the security of a Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder in the twilight of their careers. Dabo would have near 100% job security even if he goes 7-6 his last 5 years at Clempson.

At Alabama? Dabo knows full well that he'd be CONSTANTLY Compared to Bryant and Saban, and his margin for Error would be ZERO. Miss the P_ayoffs a few times at Clempson? Not really a problem. Miss the P_ayoffs twice in a row at UA? There would be loud and serious calls for his firing.

Yes, "Never say never" - and things often change greatly from what we expect them to be. But IMO, Dabo to UA is not as clear cut a case as some people think it is, "IMO"..... :D

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think he'll be coach at Bama either. I think people overestimate his "love" for Bama compared to the roots he's laid at Clemson. But no one knows the future and no one knows the circumstances that will be present once Saban does decide to hang it up. I'll say this, if Dabo doesn't win another title but keeps his teams in contention for conference titles and playoff appearances at the time Saban hangs up the whistle. I have no doubt Dabo will be the first person Alabama calls. I just think he says "Thanks, but no thanks" if everything is "good" at Clemson. But as Dabo alluded to in a recent article regarding how finicky college football fans and administrations can be. The same people who are singing your praises one minute will be the same ones carrying the torches running you out of town the next.

But I think its very unlikely that Dabo Swinney is ever the HC at Alabama, barring unforeseen circumstances (such as a tragedy or other "act of God" that drastically changes the status quo).

And I say that as a FAN of Dabo Swinney!!! I've pulled for the guy since he was a walkon at UA when I was in Grad School, and that was before I'd ever heard the amazing story of the obstacles he overcame just to GET to Alabama in the first place. I'm NOT down on Dabo, I think he's a Great person, a great recruiter, and a very good coach, ok?

But here's the deal.

Nick Saban is not a young man, but he's in excellent health for his age. Barring the unforeseen, I think he's likely going to coach at least another 4-6 years, if not longer, but I think it would be risky to count on more than maybe about 5 more season after 2017. He will be 70 in 5 years, and how far he goes beyond 70 is anyone's guess.

But in the next 4-6 years, Dabo will Either Keep winning at more-or-less the same level, or he won't. (Just as an aside, Personally, I don't see his style working in the NFL, and I don't perceive he has any interest in the NFL, so I don't think its likely he takes an NFL job, but you never know....).

So, what happens if stays at Clempson but he Fails to keep winning at about the same level as the past 3-4 years? Lets assume he goes the next 5 years without making it to the P_ayoffs. Five years from now, in our "What-have-you-done-for-me-lately" culture, the glory of 2015 and '16 will be a faint memory. "Assuming" the hiring process isn't hijacked again the way it was in 1986, Dabo (in this hypothetical) probably Won't be a prime candidate to replace Nick Saban.

So - what if he keeps winning at the same general level? Lets say he makes the P_ayoffs more often than not the next ~5 years. IF that happens, odds are pretty good that he will get out of the semi's and play in the title game more than once, and if THAT happens, odds are pretty good that he wins at least one more title. He's already a living legend at Clempson - if he wins one (or more) further Titles, he will easily be the "Paul Bryant" of Clempson. There will be statues of him on their campus and streets and buildings named for him. At least two of his three kids will be current students or Grad's of Clempson. The ties there will be stronger than some of us might think.

Some may not realize that Clempson is a large school with significant assets. The reality is, in this hypothetical, Clempson WILL have the motivation AND THE RESOURCES to meet and beat ANY possible financial offer UA could make. So there will never be a financial benefit to him leaving.

I know its a big deal when "Mama Calls" - but reality is, in this situation, he will have the security of a Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder in the twilight of their careers. Dabo would have near 100% job security even if he goes 7-6 his last 5 years at Clempson.

At Alabama? Dabo knows full well that he'd be CONSTANTLY Compared to Bryant and Saban, and his margin for Error would be ZERO. Miss the P_ayoffs a few times at Clempson? Not really a problem. Miss the P_ayoffs twice in a row at UA? There would be loud and serious calls for his firing.

Yes, "Never say never" - and things often change greatly from what we expect them to be. But IMO, Dabo to UA is not as clear cut a case as some people think it is, "IMO"..... :D

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
JMO, but I don't think that you are giving their defense enough credit. Maybe Alabama's offense played poorly because their defensive front 7 was awesome, and 14 games of film provided them with a road map for limiting your offense?
No question - Clempson had a fine defense last year (this year too, by all indications). I take nothing away from them - they played an Inspired game.

But facts are facts - yes, we scored a lot of points on a pretty bad Florida team.... LATE in the game after we wore them down. But LSU held us scoreless for THREE Quarters, and again - we broke the ice on a phenomenal INDIVIDUAL Effort in the 4th quarter by Jalen turning a broken play (against man coverage) into a brilliant TD run.

But consider this - does anyone think Washington had a particularly good defense last year? USCw, Cal and AZ each nearly broke 30 on them. And our Offense only managed 4 third-down conversions and two TD's against them. We got 10 points off Turnovers - a short field FG and a Pick 6 TD. Its not like our offense "Lit them up"....

Just sayin.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

But here's the deal.

I don't think he'll be coach at Bama either. I think people overestimate his "love" for Bama compared to the roots he's laid at Clemson. But no one knows the future and no one knows the circumstances that will be present once Saban does decide to hang it up. I'll say this, if Dabo doesn't win another title but keeps his teams in contention for conference titles and playoff appearances at the time Saban hangs up the whistle. I have no doubt Dabo will be the first person Alabama calls. I just think he says "Thanks, but no thanks" if everything is "good" at Clemson. But as Dabo alluded to in a recent article regarding how finicky college football fans and administrations can be. The same people who are singing your praises one minute will be the same ones carrying the torches running you out of town the next.
It's as impossible as predicting the future. But I'll add this: Being a NC coach at Alabama is a lengendary status in college football history. Of course, winning it another time or two at Clemson isn't chopped liver either, but it's kinda like this: Would you want to be President or Vice President? ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

So, I don't know if Dabo will ever coach at Bama but I do want to provide an alternative scenario here. Dabo is only 47 so there isn't a time crunch for when he could become the HC at Alabama. It doesn't have to be right after Saban leaves it could be years and years down the road. At that point Alabama could be a mediocre football program and be back to "sleeping giant" mode. As for Dabo I think its also completely possible he becomes Bob Stoops. He could keep winning at a high level and constantly in the playoff discussion from year to year but maybe he just never hits pay dirt. Winning National Titles isn't easy and often requires a bit of luck so I think this is a pretty realistic possibility. At that point maybe Clemson grows tired of him or he of Clemson. There are just too many factors involved with this kind of thing.

I agree with Bammabuzzard that his love for Alabama is probably overstated by many but I also think it will play a factor. If it wasn't then I think he would respond differently when asked questions about coaching here. If the same question was posed about Texas or some other big school I have a feeling his answer would be more dismissive.

I agree that it is no sure thing by any means but I also think the odds of him becoming a HC at Alabama are a lot higher than most other coaches in the country

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No question - Clempson had a fine defense last year (this year too, by all indications). I take nothing away from them - they played an Inspired game.

But facts are facts - yes, we scored a lot of points on a pretty bad Florida team.... LATE in the game after we wore them down. But LSU held us scoreless for THREE Quarters, and again - we broke the ice on a phenomenal INDIVIDUAL Effort in the 4th quarter by Jalen turning a broken play (against man coverage) into a brilliant TD run.

But consider this - does anyone think Washington had a particularly good defense last year? USCw, Cal and AZ each nearly broke 30 on them. And our Offense only managed 4 third-down conversions and two TD's against them. We got 10 points off Turnovers - a short field FG and a Pick 6 TD. Its not like our offense "Lit them up"....

Just sayin.....
Uhh, actually yes. They had an incredibly talented defense last year. Ole Miss put up 43 on us last year, Arkansas put up 30 and Clemson put up 35. But we consider that defense one of the greatest ever. Washington had a very good defense last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just sayin.....
When talking about our offense, might as well not even bring up Washington or Clemson when you consider the OC issues. Kiffin was calling plays against Washington the team either had never practiced or had not practiced since August.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.