Link: Dabo will be attending Bama vs Arky game on Saturday - 92 Championship Team Reunion

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
My guess is if Dabo is still in the discussion when Saban retires, which would mean he continues to win big at Clemson, the Bama job might look better to him than what people are suggesting. They make good arguments about how it would be tough to measure up at Bama compared to his situation at Clemson. But don't underestimate the competitive nature of these head coaches.

If Dabo keeps Clemson in the national hunt consistently until Saban retires, he might welcome the challenge of seeing if he could succeed back home in Tuscaloosa. Kind of like when Saban took the Miami job to see whether he could do it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My guess is if Dabo is still in the discussion when Saban retires, which would mean he continues to win big at Clemson, the Bama job might look better to him than what people are suggesting. They make good arguments about how it would be tough to measure up at Bama compared to his situation at Clemson. But don't underestimate the competitive nature of these head coaches.

If Dabo keeps Clemson in the national hunt consistently until Saban retires, he might welcome the challenge of seeing if he could succeed back home in Tuscaloosa. Kind of like when Saban took the Miami job to see whether he could do it.
The combination of the Bama lore, it being "momma," the desire to do it at another school to join CNS and Meyer winning it all at two different schools and the legendary status that comes with coaching at Bama (his personal history) all add up to be A LOT. This doesn't mean he'll ever coach at Bama, but he's human and all of these things typically matter to humans, especially highly competitive ones.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
When talking about our offense, might as well not even bring up Washington or Clemson when you consider the OC issues. Kiffin was calling plays against Washington the team either had never practiced or had not practiced since August.
Or plays from USC, Oakland, and Tennessee from what I've heard.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's taken awhile for Dabo's coaching style to grow on me, but, his team's are tough as nails that imposes their will on you..Sounds like what Bama Football is all about & he's doing it without a black NCAA cloud over his football program..Will "Mama Call" I have no idea, but, I'm good with it if she does..

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
With all due respect to everyone, I'd seriously suggest you check out Dabo's record "BV" and "WV" - and by that, I mean Before Venables and With Venebles!

I suspect a fair amount of what we like in Clempson's play of late is the tough defense, and the offense that practices against that tough defense every day.

Brett Venebles may never want or get a head coaching job, but if he does .....

Some great coaches seem to roll on when Coordinators leave. Diddy Bowden seemed to for much of his career; Mark Richt seemed to for much of his time at Uga; Nick Saban has done pretty well with it.
Some not so much - like Urban Meyer.

So it remains to be seen..... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Venebles left OU in some degree of disrepute as a coordinator. I'd say he proved that maybe it was just a school or even conference culture problem w/r/t defense.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I’ve always liked Dabo. It seems like yesterday was 1992 and I was back an campus. I remember watching him play back then and it doesn’t really surprise me about the success he has had after leaving Alabama.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
With all due respect to everyone, I'd seriously suggest you check out Dabo's record "BV" and "WV" - and by that, I mean Before Venables and With Venebles!

I suspect a fair amount of what we like in Clempson's play of late is the tough defense, and the offense that practices against that tough defense every day.

Brett Venebles may never want or get a head coaching job, but if he does .....

Some great coaches seem to roll on when Coordinators leave. Diddy Bowden seemed to for much of his career; Mark Richt seemed to for much of his time at Uga; Nick Saban has done pretty well with it.
Some not so much - like Urban Meyer.

So it remains to be seen..... ;-)

I'd bet Dabo had a hand in making that hire. Just sayin'...

Dabo is a good coach. He recruits well, makes good hires, and coached in the championship game twice, winning one of them. Time will tell how good a coach he is or if he is a great coach even. And he's done all this at Clempson, of all places.

I give him credit for what he's been able to do as a coach and I appreciate his contribution at Alabama as player.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Meyer, Saban, and Stoops were/are the top coaches in the sport and here is his record against them since 2013:

Meyer: 2-0
Stoops: 2-0
Saban: 1-1

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Dabo looked like he had a great time.
I know someone who was there last night in the midst of the 1992 celebration and he said Stallings, Dabo, the team members, Saban, etc all had a great time. I was able to see behind the scenes Facebook pics. It was neat to see. I do hope Dabo becomes our next coach but hopefully Saban will stay another 5 or more years.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think it's sad that of all of the amazing talent that the 92 team had, the only images I've seen on TV were of Dabo. Would have preferred he stay away....

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think it's sad that of all of the amazing talent that the 92 team had, the only images I've seen on TV were of Dabo. Would have preferred he stay away....
I'm good with it. I've seen other images elsewhere, not to mention those in my mind.

For instance, we were behind against MSU and my then girlfriend couldn't stand to watch any more. I told her not to worry - we'd win. She was so impressed she married me. :D

Langham's INT return for a TD against Florida was one for the ages.

Then there's the Miami game during which I put a hole in the ceiling when Teague took the ball from Thomas.

Good times.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I watched that 92 title with my then new GF, her dad a huge Bama man had passed just month or so before. I will never forget the happy and so sad feeling in that win. So happy to win, but so sad her dad missed it. Bitter sweet victory for us. I was so lucky I was wearing a bama shirt the first time we met. He liked me right off. I really miss talking Bama with him, my dad had passed years before, it was nice to talk Bama with an older man who loved this team like he and my dad did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.