A Southern Horror Movie0-

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Regular cornmeal is nearly impossible to find out here. Ditto sweet tea. Uh, no...a packet of sugar on top of the ice ain't gonna cut it. Give me Dr Pepper instead. Grits? Not unless you have them shipped in.
you mean the don't also have grits bushes in humboldt county. i thought everything grew there.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Who puts sugar in corn bread?
People here do it and it drives me up a wall. My wife even does it which has led me to telling her to just stop making it all together.
Virginians like to remind everybody that they are part of the South as well but none of them here in the Southeast corner live like it. At least my in-laws live like Yankees. That's all fine and good, I don't hold anything against that, but don't don't tell me y'all are from the South and then put sugar in your cornbread AND in your grits like a bunch of Philistines.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
My mom (born and raised in Birmingham) has always put just a pinch of sugar in her cornbread. I use her recipe, too. Not talking about much, either. Just a pinch or two.
I've heard of a pinch being used in order to do something non-taste related to the recipe ( I am NOT a cook, so please forgive how rube-ish that sounded)
I think my Grandmother did the same but it never showed up in the taste. It was always very savory.

Many people here use sugar to the point of it being cakey.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I've heard of a pinch being used in order to do something non-taste related to the recipe ( I am NOT a cook, so please forgive how rube-ish that sounded)
I think my Grandmother did the same but it never showed up in the taste. It was always very savory.

Many people here use sugar to the point of it being cakey.
I once had a Virginian girlfriend who took great offense at me suggesting Virginia was anything other than Southern. Being from Alabama, I felt I was on solid ground with my aspersions. They take basketball more seriously than football in that part of the country, for crying out loud.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I once had a Virginian girlfriend who took great offense at me suggesting Virginia was anything other than Southern. Being from Alabama, I felt I was on solid ground with my aspersions. They take basketball more seriously than football in that part of the country, for crying out loud.
lol. At least in Charlottesville they do. Tech has been about football since Beamer showed up, but I agree by and large. Richmond is a great Southern City but most of the rest of the state (at least the eastern metropolitan areas) have a different vibe. The Hampton Roads area is dominated by the navy so you get a blend of every American culture and businesses looking to cater to those cultures - thus true Southern culture is wicked out of the area. The closer you get to D.C. it's a similar story but the vibe becomes even more WASPy. That's not to say there aren't pockets of Southern culture to be found in the more rural areas of the state (the Eastern Shore feels like home when it comes to sporting and wildlife) but the cuisine and the customs are just completely different from the South.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
lol. At least in Charlottesville they do. Tech has been about football since Beamer showed up, but I agree by and large. Richmond is a great Southern City but most of the rest of the state (at least the eastern metropolitan areas) have a different vibe. The Hampton Roads area is dominated by the navy so you get a blend of every American culture and businesses looking to cater to those cultures - thus true Southern culture is wicked out of the area. The closer you get to D.C. it's a similar story but the vibe becomes even more WASPy. That's not to say there aren't pockets of Southern culture to be found in the more rural areas of the state (the Eastern Shore feels like home when it comes to sporting and wildlife) but the cuisine and the customs are just completely different from the South.
To be fair, SW Virginia might as well be Tennessee.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.