Bama uniform question...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, here goes. First, remember my first helmet was leather. Up until 1960, all helmets were white because they hadn't perfected the technique infusing the dye into the plastic. The first plastic helmet was made in 1939 by John T. Riddell, but they were prone to break under impact, so the adoption of them over leather was gradual. With the white helmets, some team experimented with paint, but they looked like hell by the end of the season, with the white showing through where the paint was knocked off. In 1960, the first team to wear the died helmets, at least in the SEC, was Arkansas, which color is close to ours. Coach Bryant saw them and liked them. We adopted them in 1961, his first NC year. There you have it. Both he and Perkins experimented some with white helmets on receivers, to make them stand out, but both experiments were short-lived...

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
OK, here goes. First, remember my first helmet was leather. Up until 1960, all helmets were white because they hadn't perfected the technique infusing the dye into the plastic. The first plastic helmet was made in 1939 by John T. Riddell, but they were prone to break under impact, so the adoption of them over leather was gradual. With the white helmets, some team experimented with paint, but they looked like hell by the end of the season, with the white showing through where the paint was knocked off. In 1960, the first team to wear the died helmets, at least in the SEC, was Arkansas, which color is close to ours. Coach Bryant saw them and liked them. We adopted them in 1961, his first NC year. There you have it. Both he and Perkins experimented some with white helmets on receivers, to make them stand out, but both experiments were short-lived...
As I remember it Coach Bryant started to put white helmets on receivers and red on the rest of the team. The NCAA passed a quick rule (after the season) so the entire team had to wear the same color/type helmet.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I remember it Coach Bryant started to put white helmets on receivers and red on the rest of the team. The NCAA passed a quick rule (after the season) so the entire team had to wear the same color/type helmet.
No, as I noted, Perkins tried it in the '80s. There is such a rule now, but I don't know when it was adopted...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Sitting in or walking around the stadiums this year, I’ve noticed the same thing as the OP noticed. I even asked my wife if she saw differences in helmet/uniform colors (women see shades of red better than men). She said yes, but no more than usual. :D

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I love our uniforms. Simple, yet perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. That being said, and maybe I'm just getting old and can't remember, but to me it looks like little things change from week to week. For example, during the FSU game the color wasn't right. More red than the traditional crimson, may have been the lights. The helmets looked correct, just the jerseys were off.

Another game this year it looked like the numbers on the helmets had been changed to a larger font. And last night the numbers on the backs of the jerseys looked overly large. Anyone else notice this??
Oh Boy!!! A Uniform thread!!! One of my Very Favorite topics (and I'm not kidding! )

Ditto on the other comments about TV settings and stadium lighting. For example, on my TV the lighting in the Superdome has been "weird" for years - probably since the rehab after Katrina. Not bad, just funny looking, esp. compared to daylight games.

As for our uniforms, I agree that ours are the best. And I'd suggest that among major teams, FEW have done as well as Alabama at maintaining a pure, classic look. Perhaps only Penn State and USCw have matched (or exceeded) our retention of each schools traditional image.

The one school that had maintained its traditional image for decades, and only recently lost it - is Choke-lahoma. They had remarkably clean and traditional uniforms since the 1970's.... and in just the past couple years have gone absolutely NUTS with changes. And its kinda sad.....

For us, I wish we could "clean up" our uniforms even more - remove, or at least shrink, the gaudy SEC and Nike advertisements. And I'm sure many would disagree (or even more not care) but "if I was king" I'd also remove the script "A" patch from the neckline - that was NEVER part of Alabama's uniforms and IMO adds nothing but clutter to the overall look. Ditto for the Nike advertising on the pants, and sometimes seen on the socks.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I feel the logos will only get larger as checks from apparel makers get larger. Matter of time and it will look like NASCAR suit LOL Money talks

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I feel the logos will only get larger as checks from apparel makers get larger. Matter of time and it will look like NASCAR suit LOL Money talks
Oh, I think its about inevitable.... and its a shame. I just hope I'm not around to see the stripes on the pants replaced with the Coca-Cola ribbon, and the jerseys adorned with the logos of Golden Flake and Alfa, and the helmet numbers replaced with Ford or Blue Cross/Blue Shield emblems..... :-(

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Had no idea they had trouble with getting the dye/paint into the plastic. Makes sense. I remember seeing old football helmets from the 50's that looked God-awful. I thought maybe it was from the hard hitting going on ~back in the day~. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.