Question: There are only 8 undefeated teams left. How’s your playoff shaping up?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
1. Bama (if we win the SEC over UGA)
2. PSU
3. Ohio State -- they are rolling; don't count them out.
4. UGA (if they only lose to us.) If we both meet undefeated in the SEC Championship, then the loser could well be in the playoffs as well.
I can't see the committee only using 2 conferences

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
How many of those will still be undefeated after next weekend? Or the weekend after that? The group is shrinking, soon there will be only one,hope it is Bama holding the trophy at that time. Undefeated NC sounds good to me, then there will be no doubt anywhere.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2. PSU (They beat OSU in 2 weeks)

PSU has a murderer's road ahead these next 3 weeks. They play Michigan, @ TOSU, and @MSU. If they beat tOSU then yes they get the right to play Whisky on championship weekend, but if they lose then they have to hope either Michigan and MSU pulls a stunner because TOSU is too loaded for Iowa and Illinois.

4. ACC Champ (don’t think it is Clemson, they will ‘Clemson’ again.

The problem is that Clemson's remaining ACC schedule is GT, @ NCST, and FSU. NCST is the only one with a realistic shot other than Clemson to win the Atlantic outright. I don't think GT or NCST are able to beat Clemson. FSU is just so unpredictable. They are capable of beating Clemson talent wise.

That leaves the coastal champ. Miami, Virginia, and VT all avoid Clemson and FSU so they are probably the safest bet of reps. Miami is very banged up, and has had so many last second wins that make you think their luck is going to run out. Virginia is just a headscratcher. So I think safe money is on VT being the rep when all things are said and done. But VT got thumped by Clemson in Blacksburg earlier in the season.

If they Clempson again then it will be Syracuse level epic,so its pretty much a safe call that FSU and VT are the best chances to prevent them from winning another ACC crown at this point

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Right now I think that the playoff will include the following teams:

Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and TCU

I really like Penn State's team (though I dislike the program). I just don't see them beating us the week after they get beat up physically in the UM game. I expect them to win that game, but not have enough left in the tank to handle the Buckeyes in the Shoe.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yeah, no way both PSU and OSU get in. Especially if PSU is a 2 seed with OSU a 3, that would imply PSU beat OSU, giving them 2 losses and out of the playoffs anyway.
Primarily I suggested this to show that you could use only 2 conferences and have a valid playoff scenario. Using only 4 teams is an incredible limitation that causes headaches...especially since the committee has essentially said that conference championships don't count...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
There is a lot of football to play but ranked teams are falling like flies these days. Of the undefeated teams left I’d say Bama and PSU have the hardest road to make it to the playoff. It seems certain that there will be some 1 loss teams in that dance but who and how many? Below are games of note remaining on the schedules of the undefeated. What is your final four?

Penn State – Michigan, Ohio State, Sparty, BTCG
Alabama – LSU, Auburn, SECCG
Georgia – Florida, Auburn, SECCG
Wisconsin – Iowa, Michigan, BTCG
Miami – Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, ACCCG
TCU – Sooners, Horns
Central Florida – Navy, USF, ACG
South Florida – UCF…does it matter?

Penn State has the toughest run by far IMHO. I'm happy for CCS at USF. Glad to see he landed on his feet and is doing well. UT boosters crucified him.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I really like Penn State's team (though I dislike the program). I just don't see them beating us the week after they get beat up physically in the UM game. I expect them to win that game, but not have enough left in the tank to handle the Buckeyes in the Shoe.
I agree. The Buckeyes have recovered nicely from the Oklahoma loss and right now and are playing as well anyone, especially your O. I think you’re averaging right at 47 pts/game while we are averaging 43 and OU is averaging 42. Those are the three best O’s in the country IMO.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
If I had to predict right now I think I'd pick Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma and Clemson.

I really don't think two teams from the same conference get in unless that's the clear, obvious choice.

Biggest takeaway from this past weekend is that the Pac-12 is on life support. Only way I see them getting in is USC running the table, and even then I don't think they're a lock.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

The schedule definitely favors Ohio State in this regard -- they have a BYE week to prepare for PSU while PSU has to play Michigan. The Penn State stretch of Michigan, @ OSU, @ Mich State looks like it's probably the toughest three game stretch for any team this season.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The consensus seems to rail against any possibility of a PAC12 team sneaking into this thing. Preseason it seemed everyone wanted to give the Heisman to that QB at USC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The consensus seems to rail against any possibility of a PAC12 team sneaking into this thing. Preseason it seemed everyone wanted to give the Heisman to that QB at USC.
I could see a one loss PAC team getting in over a 2 loss conference champion elsewhere, but that is what it would take.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is getting harder and harder. I do think there is now a decent shot of 2 SEC teams making it. If Georgia runs the table then loses a close game to us in the SECCG they could get in assuming 2 other conferences best teams have 2 losses. It will be interesting what they do with Notre Dame if they run the table in that situation.

Clemson was really starting to grow on me but they looked straight up terrible this weekend. I can't tell if that is a a fluke and they had a down game or if they aren't as good as we thought. If its the latter then they aren't done losing this year.

I'll roll with..

1. Alabama - I don't see a team capable of giving us a real scare until the SECCG. Maybe Auburn or LSU plays us tough but that's the best I think they can hope for

2. Notre Dame - With the chaos that has already happened this season and with the huge games most of these 1 loss teams have left I'm starting to see a path for a one loss Notre Dame. They will have to run the table but will have a lot of quality wins and a 1 point loss to a good Georgia team. They have a real shot.

3. Ohio State - Not convinced they are the best Big 10 team but they have a significant scheduling advantage over Penn State. I think the winner of that game likely makes the playoff unless Wisconsin proves to be a spoiler.

4. Big 12 Winner(OU/TCU/OkState) - I don't know who wins this division but I think the winner will only have 1 loss. Oklahoma is probably the best team if they can play like they did vs Ohio State but I think they may actually be missing Stoops right now.

I think the ACC and Pac 12 are in trouble. the Pac 12 looks like a bunch of above average teams but no great teams. As for the ACC, Clemson looked bad vs Cuse and if they play that way on defense again then they are going to drop at least 1 more game. Miami will lose to Notre Dame so even if they win the ACC I think it would be hard to put them ahead of 1 loss Dame.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.