Opinions on our offense (see admin note on page six)...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Re: Opinions on our offense

Undefeated
Yet still whining like little girls, it is so great to be a BAMA fan. Nothing is ever good enough, but the minute you say this is good enough, you lose. I am just amazed at how good we are, and doing it by just smashing folks. Just wondering what we could hang on a good team if we really just had that perfect game. Could be beautiful

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I think we have an awesome offense. The field is littered with playmakers. Jess said it best in his post game write up above. We play our game with focus - we win.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

I believe there is plenty there if we need it; for example, the roll out off play action and pass to Ruggs was pretty.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

PLEASE do not misunderstand my original post. I am not whining or complaining. I am 100% amazed at how we can dominate at this level running a very vanilla offense. It shows me just how much more talented and better coached this team is than most others. We do not need trickery and misdirection to make plays. We show what we are doing, and dare teams to stop it. It is beautiful. My only point is imagine how awesome we would be really mixing it up. I think it is coming, just so far it has not been needed. Just hope it is there if it ever is needed. ROLL TIDE

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The offense is averaging 42 points a game. That's pulling the starters early second half in over half the games.
Had we chosen to pour it on our opponents we could realistically be averaging about 56 points per game.
I personally like our offense and I like Daboll's play calling. He's unpredictable and we've needed that forever.
People forget that had Josh McDaniels accepted one of the head coaching jobs he was offered last year then Daboll would probably now be the OC for the New England Patriots.
I think we're fortunate to have him and I think he'll let the big guns loose when we need them to be let loose and not until.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Broken legs shouldnt' affect his speed. I think he did cut back once last night. I can't remember.
It can depending on break, I know I have broken a few bones over the years. Like knee injuries even when repaired to 100% sometimes the MIND hold back. My orthopedist told me once that properly repair injuries are sometimes stronger, but the person kind of never trusts it as much as before the injury. Just human nature, I spent a long time in a cast for motorcycle wreck. Years ago, and to this day, I know when jumping down from a truck or something I use the other leg more, not even thinking about it. After so many months not using it, you tend to rely on the one that never was injured.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Broken legs shouldnt' affect his speed. I think he did cut back once last night. I can't remember.

I love both Damien and Bo, but I don't think Bo is as explosive this year. Not sure if its because of his injury from last year, or because he lost 15 pounds. I know he lost 15 pounds so he could be faster and contribute in the passing game, but maybe he should gain 5-8 pounds of muscle back to help him with the running game :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I love both Damien and Bo, but I don't think Bo is as explosive this year. Not sure if its because of his injury from last year, or because he lost 15 pounds. I know he lost 15 pounds so he could be faster and contribute in the passing game, but maybe he should gain 5-8 pounds of muscle back to help him with the running game :)
I wonder if he is just one of those backs that just does not get his rhythm without a lot of carries. He always seemed to thrive the more he ran, and he is just not getting the amount of carries this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I take exception with the crowd that thinks you can't look at the team critically. There is a line where it crosses into senseless negativity but I do not see anything wrong with highlighting the blindspots that may exist.

It is a fair assessment to say that our offense is incredibly reliant on hitting deep passes while running the ball consistently with effectiveness. We have not demonstrated the ability to pass in situations where it is a clear passing scenario. Our underneath passing game has only been shown in short bursts. While it has looked sharp when used, it hasn't had to be used much. The biggest problem with any critical assessment of the passing game has been the opponents we've faced. When playing that athletic FSU defense and feeling confident in our ability to shut them down, we understandably kept things close to the vest. Against everyone else, we have flat out not needed the pass game. So how much of the passing attack have we've shown? My guess is that we've seen most of what will be used in 2017 but the magnitude of the calls has NOT been like what it will need to be against our best opponents on the schedule and potentially on the schedule.

I've also said on many occasions that regardless of the numbers Hurts has looked MUCH better as a passer in 2017. We may not be calling many underneath quick hitters but when we have it has looked like a decisive throw in the spot where only the receiver could make a play. He's been dang close to connecting on well over half his deep throws. The problem with his numbers is that he's not getting those volume quick hitter calls to bump up his completion percentage and pad his passing yards.

In short, what I've seen is hard to parse because we haven't needed to pass so mostly we have not BUT when we have passed in the short to mid range I've seen confident, decisive throws from Hurts. And that is really what I was looking for in improvement from Hurts. We win the national title game by two scores if January 2017 Jalen Hurts was throwing short-to-mid passes like Fall 2017 Jalen Hurts.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I wonder if he is just one of those backs that just does not get his rhythm without a lot of carries. He always seemed to thrive the more he ran, and he is just not getting the amount of carries this year.
thats something i said to myself as i was watching the game. RB's can get into a groove and basically take over a game. We wont see that cause of how we rotate. Harris breaks off a 20 yarder on 1st down and out he goes. I mean it's not hurting us or anything and it keeps them fresh. But a RB at times do need carries to get into a groove. And Harris and Bo have completely different running styles. So the offensive line wont get into that groove with the "hot" RB

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

FSU is really the only opponent that forced us to show some of our hand on offense but our gameplan was decidedly about avoiding turnovers. In that game, D. Harris and Bo Scarbough were the only guys to get snaps but Jacobs was limited/out with an injury. If I had to guess our rotation will tighten up into Damien Harris - Bo Scarbough - Josh Jacobs against the best opponents. Each will have a role: Harris is the all-around back, Scarbough is the power run back, and Jacobs is the 3rd down/pass situation back. N. Harris has looked fantastic but I just doubt he sees the field in a tight situation unless he earns something more than he has in practice to date.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

This thread = first world problems :cool2:

Seriously, nothing wrong with exercising your right as a fan to discuss how things can be better. You know Saban is never satisfied which is why he is at the top.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that Alabama's offense is the most difficult to stop in college football right now.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

We have so many problems, and they are all GOOD ones. So many talented guys we cannot get any of them enough reps in a game to see how they really do hehe

nickcut

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2015

Last year: RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!!
This year: THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!!

I, for one, love that we can just impose our will on our opponents. We can run the ball 10 times in a row, the defense knows it's coming but can''t stop it. It reminds me of the 2008 team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

For the record I like what I see but just have to wonder what happens when we play a team that can cope with us at the point of attack.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

For the record I like what I see but just have to wonder what happens when we play a team that can cope with us at the point of attack.
You saw that with aTm and FSU. Your offense is going to score at least 24 points, even against the best defense. With your defense, that is enough to beat anyone so long as you don't lose the turnover battle.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

You saw that with aTm and FSU. Your offense is going to score at least 24 points, even against the best defense. With your defense, that is enough to beat anyone so long as you don't lose the turnover battle.
Bingo. Which is why I’m concerned about the road trips coming in November. If we don’t have crazy turnover issues, we ought to make it through unscathed. Need the injuries to stop though.

I was very concerned about Auburn until their game yesterday. Their qb is a statue and breaks down quickly under pressure. So long as our offense takes care of the ball I think we will wear down their good defense by the third and fourth quarters. Fortunately, as I get back on thread topic, what I LOVE about this offense under Daboll is that it is much more willing to control the clock and wear down the opposing D. Lane loathed doing that.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

All I know after the INT Jalen threw HE SHOULD BE BENCHED I mean really an int in last 8 games. ​We are falling apart.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.