Opinions on our offense (see admin note on page six)...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: Opinions on our offense

For the record I like what I see but just have to wonder what happens when we play a team that can cope with us at the point of attack.
I agree. This is a discussion board where we come to discuss something that we really enjoy. No one is going to give us any titles just because we looked great against Vandy and Ole Miss. We are fans, so we come to discuss the things we like and the things that worry us when we play better teams. The thread titles are clearly labeled, so I don't understand the people who always complain about the people who discuss the things that worry them. If you don't want to hear someone's new top five or hear people talk about their concerns with the offense, don't go into the threads titled this week's top five or opinions on our offense. It is simple.
For me, I am still concerned about our ability to pass against a team that can take our running game away. If our running game keeps improving, there may not be many teams who are capable of taking it away. However, teams are going to start loading the box and bringing more heat and shadowing Jalen, so I hope we have plans in place to handle those scenarios. I like winning titles and discussing how to win more. Roll Tide!

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015

If you can't make good vanilla ice cream, don't waste your time nor effort trying to make other flavors. It all starts with the basics.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I think that Alabama's offense is the most difficult to stop in college football right now.
I agree...we had some problems with drop back and a loaded box -- so we go zone read and roll out -- and score at will. We played our B+ game and won easily. Yes, we may struggle for a quarter or so...but I do believe that we are so variable and talented that only we can stop us...or however you say it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

It's the pass protection I'd like to see improve. When Jalen has some time he does well. Teams have to respect our run so the play action can be deadly, but only if Jalen doesn't immediately have someone in his face.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I only asked this as we did lose the NC game, for a few reasons. I do not want to get that close and come up short. I feel we are right now the best in the land. But every team can be beaten. Was just wondering how we avoid anyone stopping our run and forcing us into something we have done very little of this year, PASSING. I still think we can muster enough points to be anyone right now, but it will happen, someone will challenge us. I just hope we have enough balance to still win. I am still 100% in my mind convinced had we been able to run late in NC game and controlled and ate clock we would have won last yr. Bo going out really hurt our ability to control the clock late in game. Put way to much on our defense. Watson was going to make some plays, he is that good. Other teams do have 5 star guys also.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

Okay, I have few concerns about our offense this season.

1. Why does the playcalling seem different everytime Bo Scarbough comes in the game? Every time he gets the ball, he always seem go up the middle for 2-3 yards. With Harris, it's completely different?

2. I noticed Robert Foster gave up on a play from Hurts when they were in red zone. It seems Foster looked disinterested at times. Anyone noticed that?

3. Daboll is getting better each game with his playcalling, but he seems to have a moment or two in each game where he calls bad play or two.

4. At some point, when are we going to try and stretch the field with the passing to open up the running game? It's going to reach a point where our Running game won't work against Auburn, Ohio State and Clemson down the road.

5. We haven't been targeting Tight Ends in last few games. What's going on? We need to get back to doing that.

6. Lack of touches by Sims and Foster is a concern for me, but Ruggs and Jeudy are stepping up bigger than Foster and Sims right now.

7. The OL gotta change... We are still inconsistent with our passing game because of them. I hope they make some changes soon.
I have seen the disinterest look in Foster, I think you're starting to see the freshmen receivers take a good number of snaps away from him and possibly Sims.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

If you can't make good vanilla ice cream, don't waste your time nor effort trying to make other flavors. It all starts with the basics.
okay but you are running ice cream shop, you run out of vanilla, and do not have any other flavor, NOW WHAT? Even Bama can be stopped, other teams have talent too. All it takes is that good team playing hard to slow us enough to beat us. I love vanilla, but when you only have a knife and the other guy shows up with a gun, you are in for a bad one. I believe in bringing brass knuckles, knife, gun, baseball bat, and rocks to a fight. Then no matter what they pull you are ready for whatever fight they bring.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I agree. This is a discussion board where we come to discuss something that we really enjoy. No one is going to give us any titles just because we looked great against Vandy and Ole Miss. We are fans, so we come to discuss the things we like and the things that worry us when we play better teams. The thread titles are clearly labeled, so I don't understand the people who always complain about the people who discuss the things that worry them. If you don't want to hear someone's new top five or hear people talk about their concerns with the offense, don't go into the threads titled this week's top five or opinions on our offense. It is simple.
For me, I am still concerned about our ability to pass against a team that can take our running game away. If our running game keeps improving, there may not be many teams who are capable of taking it away. However, teams are going to start loading the box and bringing more heat and shadowing Jalen, so I hope we have plans in place to handle those scenarios. I like winning titles and discussing how to win more. Roll Tide!
I agree in all aspects. There should always be room for discussing your concerns without backlash.There will be a game where the passing game will have to win one for us down the road....in my opinion

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Thanks for all the input guys, great to see so many different views on the good bad and ugly of our team. I think I can safely say we are all in 100% agreement we ROCK. I love what we are doing. As in any thing we have places we can improve, as shown in posts above. Again I think we all agree this is one hell of a team, and just as we are, only Bama can beat Bama. If we play just basic smash mouth football with focus and discipline we will not lose. But if we open it up and still play focused, we could really rip apart any team out there. It is so great to be this good and still see where we are capable of being. We there and it could be another UGLY NC like with ND. No matter who they send us. That is my hope to get the 2nd best college team and have a game where it looks like they do not even belong on the field. ROLL TIDE and here is to hoping Nick gets them in that zone. Could really be special. Or we just keep plugging along and get 17 with little fan fare and people saying well X team almost won it LOL

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I think weve got a great O that could still even be better once Jalen and our O line develop a little more. I want to see what we can do against a truly elite defensive line. I think we will get that chance later in the season.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

My opinion:

I WANT MORE

but I'll take what we have.
I agree. I want more--like to get the NC this year since we were so close last year and didn't. And next year, our defense will be a work in progress again with most of the secondary gone to graduation/NFL. Let's get it done this year and finish the right way.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Pass protection has been an issue at times. I think Daboll is still working on which plays work best for the respective players. We seem to be less reliant on Ridley in the past couple games, which is needed. We'll be more effective if we make 'em defend all our skill players.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm a Alabama fan, and I support my team all the way, but I'm also realistic person. I see what's right and wrong within our offense. I want us to be able to improve on things that aren't consistent at times. I think coach would agree with me on this. Right now, I want to see consistency in our offense. I want our receivers to do better job coming back after routes are completed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

You know why Saban fits in so well at Alabama?

Because, like almost every TideFan, he is a perfectionist.

He appreciates good effort but wants to help our players use the best technique and thereby become among the best at what they do. This is largely why so many go on the the NFL.

So while we do have first world problems at Alabama with an offense that is scoring over 40 points a game, there are deficiencies and areas that need improvement.

There is a tendency when that happens to be complacent and not pay as much attention to those things when most are going well.

At Alabama we understand that and we appreciate that our coach understands that.

And while calling out unrealistic expectations and unwarranted or harsh criticism is sometimes a necessity among fans, I hope that drive to be perfect never changes.

For it is what makes Alabama a consistently great team.

Roll Tide!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I would love to be a spectator at a Bama press conference if a reporter said to Coach Saban, "Coach, I think overall Daboll is doing a great job, but he seems to have lapses where he loses his creativity, and also, do you think Jalen will ever progress to the point where I can consider him to be a really good quarterback"? :cool2:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I would love to be a spectator at a Bama press conference if a reporter said to Coach Saban, "Coach, I think overall Daboll is doing a great job, but he seems to have lapses where he loses his creativity, and also, do you think Jalen will ever progress to the point where I can consider him to be a really good quarterback"? :cool2:
I would rather jump into the big cat cage at the local zoo, I think my odds of escaping alive would be better :biggrin2:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I was so hopeful for a big year for Robert Foster, but hope is waning. The physical ability is so obvious...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.