Opinions on our offense (see admin note on page six)...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Re: Opinions on our offense

It's a lot of things at play here and they differ with each opponent. Ridley has been the biggest target to this point because he's been the most consistent. We see the ball being distributed around more as of late because of more guys being consistent. I agree with several or the posters that noted that we have an successful and productive offense that causes problems for a majority of college football. Name a team that you would rather have their offense over Bama's O ... Louisville? Oklahoma? Ohio State? Clemson? TCU?

All I'm going to say is anytime you can have at least 4-6 different receivers getting catches and go 6 deep with our running backs during SEC play says a LOT about the success of our offense, not to mention that the 2nd string QB has been receiving meaningful snaps as well ... I think there are things that can be improved of course but the offense is fine. The biggest thing this team can do is focus on how to improve their execution of the offense and defense every week.

Receivers have to focus on running clean routes, getting open and catching the balls thrown to them. RBs have to focus on hitting holes, their vision and pass protection, the QBs have to focus on play calling and getting the passes to the receiver, so on and so forth. The more this team focuses on the execution of the game plans these coaches have developed each week, the great chance this team remains successful in growing. Oh and of course ... stay away from rat poison :cool2:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

In other words, a Clemson or barn defense(?).
You seem to be spooked about AU. AU's D is good but overrated - IMO, it is not elite. You've started seeing that the last 2 weeks. Bama's schedule has been weak this year, AU's has been pathetic (not their fault of course). They have beaten no good teams and one decent team - that's it. Kevin Steele is their DC - he's only OK. His D usually regresses over a season. Last year they were a "top 10 D" and Bama put up 500 yards on them - Jalen 27-36 286 2 TDs, 2 "bad" ints. AU's D is a little better this year, Bama and Jalen are much better. Who knows what will happen in any game, and AU's DL is elite or close to it, but Bama has better players and much better coaching. They should move the ball enough. AU has beaten almost no one - MSU is their best win. They will do well to go 1-2 against A&M, UGA and Bama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Auburn has been the the biggest beneficiary of the delta between SEC perception and reality the last two seasons.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

the last few years our points per game were inflated due to all the NOTs. This year is not the case, our offense has scored all the TDs but one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Just a little note on our policies. We have a policy against "bashing" a player or coach. That means that a remark like "That SOB is a bust" will draw censure or more. No comment about a player in this thread has crossed that line. The game threads are a special case. Those are meant to follow the action and let people who can't watch know the progress of the game. Occasionally, a member will get obsessed with one particular player and start taking over the thread with views on that one player. That's when you'll see me say to save it for the postgame thread or, in the worst cases, suspend temporarily. This is just a clarification, since we have many new members...

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I only clicked on this due to the admin's note in parenthesis.

Our offense is plenty good enough to help us to a National Championship. I feel really good about it. See previous statement. Either one.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I'm especially happy to see us play a lot of players during the games. Receivers, RB's, TE's and later in the game OL are getting a lot of reps. Tua getting reps is big in case Jalen gets hurt. When he comes in, it seems to be a seamless transition. He's cool and knows the playbook well. All good with our upcoming schedule.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
#1: Our offense is REALLY good.
#2: No fanbase in the history of college football is 100% happy with their OC's play calling, no matter how many points per game are being produced.

No matter what style of ball we are playing every year people complain about play calling. This year is the richest. For the past 3 years we bemoan the fact that we don't just "run da bawl!" and now we tout the #7 rushing offense in the game, score fast and often, and spread the ball around but the complaint now is that the play calling is "Bland" or "vanilla." With the talent that we have we should be able line up the offense single file vertically from the line of scrimmage with the QB 20 yards behind the ball and still rush for 250 yards a game.

The play calling is fine because this personnel should be able to execute against almost any team we meet. Factor in that Jalen is increasing his downfield efficiency and accuracy as the season progresses and I would be PETRIFIED if I was playing on the defense of any team we are yet to face. We are a matchup nightmare and we take pretty good advantage of most opportunities - and even when we DON'T take advantage of a matchup opportunity we still win out based on sheer talent and will. It just feels like some people are disappointed that every play doesn't average 9.5 yards. This offense is one of the best we've had in the Saban era and folks, you just gotta enjoy it.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
#1: Our offense is REALLY good.
#2: No fanbase in the history of college football is 100% happy with their OC's play calling, no matter how many points per game are being produced.

No matter what style of ball we are playing every year people complain about play calling. This year is the richest. For the past 3 years we bemoan the fact that we don't just "run da bawl!" and now we tout the #7 rushing offense in the game, score fast and often, and spread the ball around but the complaint now is that the play calling is "Bland" or "vanilla." With the talent that we have we should be able line up the offense single file vertically from the line of scrimmage with the QB 20 yards behind the ball and still rush for 250 yards a game.

The play calling is fine because this personnel should be able to execute against almost any team we meet. Factor in that Jalen is increasing his downfield efficiency and accuracy as the season progresses and I would be PETRIFIED if I was playing on the defense of any team we are yet to face. We are a matchup nightmare and we take pretty good advantage of most opportunities - and even when we DON'T take advantage of a matchup opportunity we still win out based on sheer talent and will. It just feels like some people are disappointed that every play doesn't average 9.5 yards. This offense is one of the best we've had in the Saban era and folks, you just gotta enjoy it.
Yeah we are having to get real picky to find things to talk about. The best thing is even with the big wins the coach is finding little things to tweak and fix. It is all Nick Sabans fault, he has spoiled us and also made us just like him. Always striving for perfection. This team over all is very good. I did see one shotgun snap that was about 6 inches to high, we need to work on that :biggrin2:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

You seem to be spooked about AU. AU's D is good but overrated - IMO, it is not elite. You've started seeing that the last 2 weeks. Bama's schedule has been weak this year, AU's has been pathetic (not their fault of course). They have beaten no good teams and one decent team - that's it. Kevin Steele is their DC - he's only OK. His D usually regresses over a season. Last year they were a "top 10 D" and Bama put up 500 yards on them - Jalen 27-36 286 2 TDs, 2 "bad" ints. AU's D is a little better this year, Bama and Jalen are much better. Who knows what will happen in any game, and AU's DL is elite or close to it, but Bama has better players and much better coaching. They should move the ball enough. AU has beaten almost no one - MSU is their best win. They will do well to go 1-2 against A&M, UGA and Bama.
Not spooked, but I DO think they have exceptional( or maybe even elite)talent up and down the roster and especially on D, albeit not that greatly coached( agree w/ you about Steele)Don’t get me wrong, I like our O and happen to think we are very good, but outside of FSU we have not faced a very good defense all season long. Both State and the barn will match up against us much better and will give us a more accurate reading of just HOW good we are on O imo.....

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I’d like to see more quick set passing game and use of TE’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From what I can tell, we continue to add a new wrinkle to the offense each week.

Also seemed like Saban wanted Najee and Jacobs involved some during the first half Saturday. Once the team got up 17-0, appeared like they started giving guys a few more reps on offense to get that game experience and tape to use to teach.

The passing game is still not completely in sync for some reason. Not sure if two of the older WRs are too worried about what the Freshmen are doing or what, but the younger guys look better on most every play.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Was very encouraged by Josh Jacobs performance this week. It looked like he has similar burst to last season back after his early season injury. He was slippery and strong and more than fast enough to scoot away from LB's.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
From what I can tell, we continue to add a new wrinkle to the offense each week.

Also seemed like Saban wanted Najee and Jacobs involved some during the first half Saturday. Once the team got up 17-0, appeared like they started giving guys a few more reps on offense to get that game experience and tape to use to teach.

The passing game is still not completely in sync for some reason. Not sure if two of the older WRs are too worried about what the Freshmen are doing or what, but the younger guys look better on most every play.
Sims hasn't been the possession receiver I'd hoped he would round into and I'm crestfallen to think that it's all over for Robert Foster. He had moments but the consistency has never developed and it's not for lack of opportunity. Ruggs, Jeudy and Smith, as they gain experience and familiarity with the game, are becoming better options than Foster. Sims is serviceable enough to keep in the rotation. Hurts DOES seem more in-sync with the young talent - and Ridley, obviously.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.