Opinions on our offense (see admin note on page six)...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
At times we show real creative play calling. At other times we seem to just be kind of bland. Could it be that other than FSU we have had control of the games and can get by being bland? Could Nick Saban and Daboll be showing just a bit during these games? You know testing the ability to be very diverse, then going bland. I have been looking back over the season and seem to see a pattern. It is almost like they are 1-2 series a game showing how balanced and explosive we can be. Then basic runs some passing but not a lot of diversity. PLEASE tell me they are testing the waters and are using restraint in mixing it up until we really need it. I see so many here post things that just make sense, no way Saban and Daboll do not see that. Could it be we have yet to really open up the playbook? I really hope so, with the level of talent, and all the freshman getting so much game time. Lord help the team facing us if we release the hounds fully. Just so much talent. Every time the ESPN guys mentioned Ridley having so many catches and so many talented freshman WR's. Could this all be a set up to sucker defenses into total Ridley fixation. THE BOOM Jalen going off in the pass game. It appears at time they are testing Jalen, like a short test run on a car before just opening her up. Any thoughts or am I just dreaming that this team has yet to play to 50% of its potential.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Re: Opinions on our offense

I amnot saying this O even when kind of bland is not AWESOME. Just wonder what scores would be if we really ran the whole play book with all this talent. The talent seems to make conservative still score 40 points a game. Most teams cannot do that slingong it around like a school house playground.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Well executed vanilla is fine by me
ME to as long as we win, just wondering if this team is really capable of even more. Scary thought for other teams when we can hang 40 with a vanilla scheme LOL

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

I think we have kept a lot of what we could do under wraps for later in the year. We're winning, and usually big with just what looks like your basic offense. Every once in a while we throw a new wrinkle in there but it seems mostly basic offense.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I think we have kept a lot of what we could do under wraps for later in the year. We're winning, and usually big with just what looks like your basic offense. Every once in a while we throw a new wrinkle in there but it seems mostly basic offense.
That is what I see a hint of some real wrinkles, here is to hoping we keep winning. Just wonder if someone really scares us will we show a whole new side? Just hope it is there in case we need it at some point.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I have a tough time reading long posts that aren't broken out into paragraphs...

I think the offense still has more to it and that Coach Daboll is learning more about what they can and should be doing depending on the defenses. I agree, the talent in the skill positions on offense is amazing.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

At times we show real creative play calling. At other times we seem to just be kind of bland. Could it be that other than FSU we have had control of the games and can get by being bland? Could Nick Saban and Daboll be showing just a bit during these games? You know testing the ability to be very diverse, then going bland. I have been looking back over the season and seem to see a pattern. It is almost like they are 1-2 series a game showing how balanced and explosive we can be. Then basic runs some passing but not a lot of diversity. PLEASE tell me they are testing the waters and are using restraint in mixing it up until we really need it. I see so many here post things that just make sense, no way Saban and Daboll do not see that. Could it be we have yet to really open up the playbook? I really hope so, with the level of talent, and all the freshman getting so much game time. Lord help the team facing us if we release the hounds fully. Just so much talent. Every time the ESPN guys mentioned Ridley having so many catches and so many talented freshman WR's. Could this all be a set up to sucker defenses into total Ridley fixation. THE BOOM Jalen going off in the pass game. It appears at time they are testing Jalen, like a short test run on a car before just opening her up. Any thoughts or am I just dreaming that this team has yet to play to 50% of its potential.
Nothing wrong with our Offense. Every team would love to score 40 points in a game. We didn't play a perfect game. We played a little more than 2 quarters then we played different combinations of reserves. 2s,3s, 4s and the case of our RBs, we played our 5s too. IMO: We played a game yesterday where we didn't show plays we will spring on LSU and on Auburn. When there was no need to show our Hole Card, it's better to not show everything we plan. UNLIKE SOME TEAMS, WE DON'T TRY TO RUN UP THE SCORE BY PLAYING THE 1S ALL THE TIME.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I said before the Arkansas game I thought we would try to run it down their throat and against UT we would put on a passing clinic. I still believe that. We are getting ready for the stretch run. Learning as we go and building the offense as the year progresses.

I am guessing that by the time we get to the Barn we will be humming.

Nothing we do is by accident.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

we're running an offense that matches the skill set of Hurts..There wont be any opening the offense up because thats not who he is. Dont make mistakes, make the easy throws, run when nothing is there. As long as we dont face a dynamic offense with a dynamic/generational type QB, we will be just fine with this offense.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

We have a new OC with a new scheme. you don't just plop the entire playbook on the table and say "know this by opening day". It's a 12 week process and I would say it's right on schedule. We will be the best prepared team come post season.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Okay, I have few concerns about our offense this season.

1. Why does the playcalling seem different everytime Bo Scarbough comes in the game? Every time he gets the ball, he always seem go up the middle for 2-3 yards. With Harris, it's completely different?

2. I noticed Robert Foster gave up on a play from Hurts when they were in red zone. It seems Foster looked disinterested at times. Anyone noticed that?

3. Daboll is getting better each game with his playcalling, but he seems to have a moment or two in each game where he calls bad play or two.

4. At some point, when are we going to try and stretch the field with the passing to open up the running game? It's going to reach a point where our Running game won't work against Auburn, Ohio State and Clemson down the road.

5. We haven't been targeting Tight Ends in last few games. What's going on? We need to get back to doing that.

6. Lack of touches by Sims and Foster is a concern for me, but Ruggs and Jeudy are stepping up bigger than Foster and Sims right now.

7. The OL gotta change... We are still inconsistent with our passing game because of them. I hope they make some changes soon.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

We have a new OC with a new scheme. you don't just plop the entire playbook on the table and say "know this by opening day". It's a 12 week process and I would say it's right on schedule. We will be the best prepared team come post season.
The playbook hasn't really changed. Daboll just added few stuff, but overall it's still the same. Players and coaches have said that. Only difference is less jet sweeps and more quick passes.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I have a tough time reading long posts that aren't broken out into paragraphs...

I think the offense still has more to it and that Coach Daboll is learning more about what they can and should be doing depending on the defenses. I agree, the talent in the skill positions on offense is amazing.
Sorry, will try to do better on the formatting. I am a hunt and peck typist, so I tend to get rolling and never stop. Will try to break it up better. My mind goes 60 mph my fingers .6 mph.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Okay, I have few concerns about our offense this season.

1. Why does the playcalling seem different everytime Bo Scarbough comes in the game? Every time he gets the ball, he always seem go up the middle for 2-3 yards. With Harris, it's completely different?

2. I noticed Robert Foster gave up on a play from Hurts when they were in red zone. It seems Foster looked disinterested at times. Anyone noticed that?

3. Daboll is getting better each game with his playcalling, but he seems to have a moment or two in each game where he calls bad play or two.

4. At some point, when are we going to try and stretch the field with the passing to open up the running game? It's going to reach a point where our Running game won't work against Auburn, Ohio State and Clemson down the road.

5. We haven't been targeting Tight Ends in last few games. What's going on? We need to get back to doing that.

6. Lack of touches by Sims and Foster is a concern for me, but Ruggs and Jeudy are stepping up bigger than Foster and Sims right now.

7. The OL gotta change... We are still inconsistent with our passing game because of them. I hope they make some changes soon.
From what I have seen, BO goes where play is called, no matter what, Damien will change directions if the hole is not open. Bo also looks like he has never regained full speed or flexibility he had before breaking his leg. He seems to not be able to cut back as he did last year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

From what I have seen, BO goes where play is called, no matter what, Damien will change directions if the hole is not open. Bo also looks like he has never regained full speed or flexibility he had before breaking his leg. He seems to not be able to cut back as he did last year.
Broken legs shouldnt' affect his speed. I think he did cut back once last night. I can't remember.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Nothing wrong with our Offense. Every team would love to score 40 points in a game. We didn't play a perfect game. We played a little more than 2 quarters then we played different combinations of reserves. 2s,3s, 4s and the case of our RBs, we played our 5s too. IMO: We played a game yesterday where we didn't show plays we will spring on LSU and on Auburn. When there was no need to show our Hole Card, it's better to not show everything we plan. UNLIKE SOME TEAMS, WE DON'T TRY TO RUN UP THE SCORE BY PLAYING THE 1S ALL THE TIME.
This is exactly what I am hoping, we are slowly implementing the FULL play book. Tuning it until needed. I have seen flashes of DEEP passing game that could kill. I know our OL is still trying to get a rhythm in pass blocking and picking up blitz. My entire point is I think we have not seen the best yet, I feel this team has some real amazing plays just waiting for the time and place to use them. That is my hope.Also I hope they come out in a National Title game for number 17

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.