Poll: Week 8 Poll (AP Poll)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think there is no doubt that the committee was formed to make sure that no conference got two teams in unless there was some very extreme situation like multiple power five conferences having two loss champions. I think it is really set up with the conference championship games being the quarterfinals. They even have five power five conferences in case there is an upset in one of the championship games, and I really don't have a problem with it. I think that you should win your conference if you want to claim to be the best in the land. I know we got a huge break when we got the rematch with LSU in 2011, but they beat us on our home field, so I would not have had a problem with it if they had chosen another one loss conference champ. The OSU situation last year will probably make sure they choose conference champs from now on, barring some strange situations. The problem is that the committee seems to be able to change their criteria and do whatever they like. I don't know who came up with the idea of the committee, but it is laughable. I can't wait to hear what they deem to be important this year.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can nearly guarantee that there will not be a second ACC or SEC in that group of four.
A popular refrain for a while was that a team had to win their conference to be in the playoff. We had people here saying that Alabama was going to miss out on the playoff until Ole Miss lost to Arkansas. So, to be clear here, the claim was that the difference in Alabama being the #2 seed and at best the #5 seed was Ole Miss having a third loss and Alabama giving Florida their third loss. I argued the whole way that Alabama deserved to and would get in whether or not they played in the SECCG and the inclusion of Ohio State last year seemed to verify that the committee prizes the entire body of work over a single arbitrary criterion.

Remember, Ohio State went in as a 3 seed, over a Pac-12 champion Washington. So far, despite my dislike for the committee, they have behaved in a rather predictable fashion. I'd agree that all things being equal, they might go with the conference champ. However, I have seen nothing to indicate they are going to promote an undeserving team over a team with a better resume purely because of conference affiliation.

I think that you should win your conference if you want to claim to be the best in the land
I think that's a ridiculous proposition in the era of a playoff. If you want every game to mean so darn much, don't lose. Yet, we're talking about teams with losses in most of these cases. So, I'm supposed to say one loss team A is better than one loss team B purely because of a tie breaker or some such nonsense? No thank you, that's silly. I'd rather look at their whole schedule.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There may not be 4 Power 5 teams with less than 2 losses. They may have no choice but to have 2 SEC teams if Bama and UGA win out.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I hope ND wins out and gets another shot, maybe another playoff or title game beat down will show once and for all they play no one.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
What would be really interesting is to have this scenario:

Undefeated SEC Champ Alabama
Undefeated B1G Champ Penn State
Undefeated Big 12 Champ TCU

and then the following from which to choose for the fourth spot:
1-loss Georgia
1-loss Notre Dame
2-loss ACC Champ Clemson
2-loss PAC 12 Champ USC
In that case I would give the spot to a 1 loss Georgia, but the committee would give the spot to ND because they are ND.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
ND or Miami would be fun to destroy again for old times sake LOL I want OSU and Urban, time to settle this one for good. Beat down OSU and Urban to show the nation, as good as Urban maybe, and for all of the OSU talk of tradition, BAMA and SABAN are the standard by which to measure all others. Urban is good but his cut and run from Florida showed what he is really made of. Once Saban got Bama stocked he saw the writing on the wall and ran like a scared school girl.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I'm officially putting it out there. If Clemson doesn't lose anymore and Georgias only loss is to a (fingers crossed) undefeated Bama team in the SEC championship game, Clemson still gets put ahead of Georgia.

Whatever can be done to avoid two SEC in the playoffs
I'm officially putting it out there: NC State takes Clempson straight up on Nov 4th.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
ND or Miami would be fun to destroy again for old times sake LOL I want OSU and Urban, time to settle this one for good. Beat down OSU and Urban to show the nation, as good as Urban maybe, and for all of the OSU talk of tradition, BAMA and SABAN are the standard by which to measure all others. Urban is good but his cut and run from Florida showed what he is really made of. Once Saban got Bama stocked he saw the writing on the wall and ran like a scared school girl.
I don’t know which would be sweeter, beating Ohio State or Oklahoma. I’m tired of losing to the Sooners.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I'm always looking ahead, and right now I'd draw the line at the top 13 in terms of teams that pose a threat to Alabama (both in the playoffs and with the committee). Right now things are shaping up for even a one loss Alabama team to get in, but I'd be scared of seeing how that might compare to the ranking of one loss Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Clemson, or Ohio State.

Notre Dame is a team to watch. They have USC and Miami coming up. Either they bolster another resume, or they could end up with a pretty good one themselves. Either way I'll be cheering for a few of those teams to lose against unranked opponents, Miami, Oklahoma, and USC all could have lost yesterday and that would have absolutely paved Alabama's path to the playoffs.
Miami is having an auburn charm type year, I think they would be the so far traditionally "Which one is not like the others?" blowout fodder in the playoff.

Notre Dame is lurking, quietly, and as they say in NCAA Basketball Discussions, have "a really, really good loss" albeit at home

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
With two losses, once again the barn's whole season will be trying to wreck our playoff run. If they could manage to beat us and UGA, Gus gets to stay on the bus!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I used to believe the conspiracy theory that no 2 teams from same conference would get in or you had to be a conference champ to get in. I have to say the committee have for all 3 years so far put in the 4 best teams. Until they screw up big, I can't see that changing. So far so good.

If they could just rid of that Larry Culpepper guy in the commercials, I think the committee-based playoffs will be fine until a better system come around.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Just trying to think like a warped individual. The barn wins their last 2 conference games, and is left out of the CFP picture. Do they get another People’s Choice Trophy? Btw. Still looking for the blue font

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.