Former GOP candidate mails pipe bomb, explodes and injures pregnant postal worker

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Former GOP Candidate Arrested For Mailing Pipe Bomb, Bullet To Political Enemies

A former Republican political candidate in Indiana who authored a right-wing blog was arrested this week for allegedly mailing a pipe bomb and a threatening letter containing a bullet to two of his political opponents. The pipe bomb exploded at a post office, leaving a pregnant postal worker with “cuts, abrasions and bruises to her head, legs, and feet.”

Eric Krieg, a 45-year-old resident of the city of Munster, was charged with knowing possession of a destructive device and transporting explosive materials. He was arrested on Thursday after the FBI executed search warrants at his residence, his work and on his vehicle. The Justice Department put out a straightforward press release about Krieg’s arrest, but a FBI agent’s affidavit offered a lot more of an interesting backstory.

The package containing a pipe bomb that exploded at a post office in East Chicago, Indiana, on Sept. 6 had been addressed to an attorney who the feds labeled “Victim 1.” The lawyer had represented a person who filed a defamation lawsuit against Krieg that was settled for around $60,000, which led Krieg to declare bankruptcy, according to the feds.

The attorney who represented the individual who sued Krieg for defamation also told the feds that he believes he might have been targeted by Krieg because he authored an opinion on behalf of the city supporting an LGBTQ ordinance he believed Krieg may have disagreed with. The city of Munster passed a human rights ordinance that prohibited discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation back in 2016.
The victim who received a bullet that was wrapped in tape and had a message ― “The next one will be in the back of your head” ― had criticized Krieg online back in 2013.

One 2013 post on an online discussion board authored by the man who received the bullet said the person who sued Krieg had “served him a huge cup of STFU, that’s for sure.” The victim had also reposted another person’s comments calling Krieg “a first class a**h*t, and a typical right wing tea-bagging idiot.”

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
"oh yeah, well Anthony Weiner sent a picture of his junk to a girl online" - whataboutists (probably)
Rather than defending him or deflecting, I think most republicans will try to say he in no way represents the values of the Republican party and they will not take ownership of his actions. He is a nut from the fringes. No need to defend him if you disown him.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Rather than defending him or deflecting, I think most republicans will try to say he in no way represents the values of the Republican party and they will not take ownership of his actions. He is a nut from the fringes. No need to defend him if you disown him.
Or they'll head over to the Mass Shooting in Las Vegas thread and talk about how someone on Fox News implied that guy was an anti-Trump leftist. (Doing it either way is pretty equally goofy imo)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why would you think he does represent mainstream whatever?
Why should anyone else own his actions? Do you have a hit contract signed by the GOP telling this guy to do this?

Some of us believe individuals are accountable for their own actions.

This is any different from the Rep Scalise shooting by a Bernie Sanders supporter HOW exactly?

This guy no more represents Republicans than Hodgkinson did Sanders supporters.

But I WILL say this - THIS kind of identity politics (which you guys keep losing at) is gonna get you President Cheeto for another four years in 2020. The rank and file voters of whatever stripe simply don't buy this argument.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He has run for a couple of minor local offices and lost. Doesn't sound like he has a lot of support from Republican voters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Why would you think he does represent mainstream whatever?
Why should anyone else own his actions? Do you have a hit contract signed by the GOP telling this guy to do this?

Some of us believe individuals are accountable for their own actions.

This is any different from the Rep Scalise shooting by a Bernie Sanders supporter HOW exactly?

This guy no more represents Republicans than Hodgkinson did Sanders supporters.

But I WILL say this - THIS kind of identity politics (which you guys keep losing at) is gonna get you President Cheeto for another four years in 2020. The rank and file voters of whatever stripe simply don't buy this argument.
Who is you? I'm a non partisan moderate. Too conservative for democrats and too liberal for republicans.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Do you guys believe this guy represents the GOP or that he's insane?
Could that question also be asked about James Hodgkinson, the baseball field shooter?

--------------

Both parties have there own lunatics that hang on the fringes. I don't consider Hodgkinson to be representative of the left, as I hope people don't think this former GOP candidate is a representative of the GOP.

---------------

To answer your question CA, I think he is insane. No normal person does this.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The man should be tried and convicted, if guilty, and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

For those who want to play Dem vs Repub; how many more bombs would he need to detonate to pull even with Obama supporter and confidant Bill Ayers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.