What happened to the "screen"pass?

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
In essence, having Jalen back there acts in the same way as running RB screens - it takes away some of the aggression of the defensive front seven.
Yep. Over pursuit is what makes the RB screen work. Running QBs lessen pursuit and in some instances a spy on the QB is used.

I am glad to not see as much use of the WR screens this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think we've needed that often. We've saw plenty of that early in the season, but hasn't used that since then. I think we replaced that with quick passes and more running game. Another theory is that we actually do run that play, but used it differently.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The screen is such a delicious thing as long as it is not used too much. It won us a tough game in Death Valley a couple of years ago thanks to the play call with TJ Yeldon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In today's TideSports podcast, Aaron Suttles mentioned Josh Jacobs as the guy we see in the future in the screen game to combat teams bringing pressure on Jalen.

If we ran a PA bootleg screen, it would probably work real well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In today's TideSports podcast, Aaron Suttles mentioned Josh Jacobs as the guy we see in the future in the screen game to combat teams bringing pressure on Jalen.

If we ran a PA bootleg screen, it would probably work real well.
As long as you roll Jalen to the right. He takes a lot of time to square up his shoulders when rolling left. He is a very accurate passer when rolling right.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Well, maybe we should run the play that the barn utilizes so well when they have QB that can run. They have the QB run wide to the left or right, then they have an offensive lineman go downfield 6 or 8 yards, because of the offensive lineman being downfield the defensive players assume that now it is sure to be a running play, they drop coverage to come up and tackle the QB, as a result the wide receivers are totally open and so the QB casually throws the ball to the receiver for a touchdown.

ole miss under Freeze utilized the same play a lot.

I know it is totally illegal and I am only kidding.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we'll see Jalen rolling out a lot going forward... Screen passes, Fake Screen pass ( think Clemson game) many way to use screen either as a decoy or whatever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.