What happened to the "screen"pass?

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Seems to me that we tend to run straight ahead, pass to the flat or go downfield. With such big fullbacks and an offensive line that tends to let the defense through, one would think that a screen pass would be a reasonable neutralizer. I can just see one of our big backs getting past the onrush and catching the screen with a lot of green ahead.
It may be that Jalen can't lift it over the defensive line, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know.
What do the pros think?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Simple answer is we really haven't needed to run the screen much. It'll come in hand against LSU and Auburn and Georgia, no doubt.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Seems to me that we tend to run straight ahead, pass to the flat or go downfield. With such big fullbacks and an offensive line that tends to let the defense through, one would think that a screen pass would be a reasonable neutralizer. I can just see one of our big backs getting past the onrush and catching the screen with a lot of green ahead.
It may be that Jalen can't lift it over the defensive line, but I am not knowledgeable enough to know.
What do the pros think?
My opinion is that we mostly just haven't needed it. I would expect to see it when we run up against some more elite defenses. Hopefully not the bubble screen however. Simple RB screen works nicely most the time against an over-attacking defense.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
We're saving it for the NC game...along with passes to the TE.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
When you run a submarine offense like ours and you torpedo defenses the way we are you can't really have screens on submarines, not practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I wondered what ever happened to the old shuttle pass, do not see that play anywhere much any more. No one seems to use it like they did in the 90's, guess defenses figured it out and killed it. May be something that could surprise teams again, things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I'd think we would use that instead of getting Hurts hammered. There we're multiple times we could have used it against Arkansas. Even slipping a back out on an actual route would help. The middle of the field was wide open Sat.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wondered what ever happened to the old shuttle pass, do not see that play anywhere much any more. No one seems to use it like they did in the 90's, guess defenses figured it out and killed it. May be something that could surprise teams again, things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I actually suggested that in the game thread...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If I remember correctly, we've run a middle screen a couple of times and got blown up each time. Maybe we'll get it right in future games. I agree it should work.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
It will appear when needed. Every thing we do is calculated. If it will exploit a D we will use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Or even a late dump off pass in the flat to an rb...Ingram, Richardson, Lacey, etc. used to get these all the time. Maybe the defenses are playing us for that...or we are running JH instead.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You need the screen pass against really aggressive defensive lines. With Jalen back there, very few d-lines are going to be that aggressive. The screen is totally ineffective if the d-line and LBs are not attacking up-field, and fear of Jalen breaking off a 50 yard run keeps defenses in check.

In essence, having Jalen back there acts in the same way as running RB screens - it takes away some of the aggression of the defensive front seven.

Auburn can achieve QB pressure without sending 5 or 6 players. So even there a RB screen doesn't work. You have to hit quick passes or run right at Auburn to have success. I expect Alabama to run right at them.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The screen pass has been processed, as B1GTide said it is useful in certain situations. If they are not over rushing it is not that great a play to use. Like many plays they come and go and come back. As teams adjust and take it away, then as they forget about it, BAM you burn them with it. As long as we can run right at folks, run Jalen so well, why bother. As Coach Bryant once said way back in the day, only 3 things happen when you pass, and 2 are not good. Now that was when the wishbone was king hehe

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.