2017 Week 8 Game Week Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc.)

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The Ruggs questions was one of those where he was asking for "some color" because the journalist was clearly writing something about the player and wanted a positive quote from Nick Saban. I think it was intentional because he doesn't want these young guys getting so much hype and increased expectations. Just wants him to go run routes and catch.
I agree, it absolutely was for color but was atrociously worded. He was way too general - as though he hadn't even covered football as a sport before. He could've asked "As a receiver, what physical tools make Henry Ruggs so dangerous in the red-zone?" Then Saban could talk about his track speed, his size, his hands etc. If it wasn't about color and just for information he could ask, "From a scheme perspective, has there been a concentrated effort to get Ruggs the ball the in the red-zone?" or "Ruggs has been extremely efficient in the red-zone this season; what factors in the game have allowed him to be so successful?"

Instead we got: "Henry Ruggs has a touchdown in each of his last 3 games. What does he do that enables him to be a threat near the end-zone?"
To which the response from Saban obviously is along the lines of "...uh..he runs faster than the other guys and gets open so we throw him the ball."
It just wasn't focused enough. But a lot of these guys are sloppy on a weekly basis. If you listen to each session there are always a few who sound like they've never asked a question in their life - much less like they do it for a living.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Kinda get the vibe that a struggle win could be on the horizon from that presser but Tennessee is pretty dang bad...
I've posted several times that this feels a lot like 2015 to me - UT came in to Tuscaloosa with a 3-3 record having had a the week before off and Bama was playing their eighth consecutive game. Result: Bama squeaked by with a 19-14 victory.

On paper Bama should blow the doors off this tennessee squad, but this is a rivalry game and tennessee has recruited well - if Bama shows up thinking they can stroll on the field and tennessee will cower, it'll be a long afternoon.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm afraid the players are feeling themselves little too much for this week.
I have no idea, honestly - I know they've got to be tired and ready for the coming week off.

I also didn't think Saban was particularly angry or frustrated in this PC, just seems like he wanted to keep their attention.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I've posted several times that this feels a lot like 2015 to me - UT came in to Tuscaloosa with a 3-3 record having had a the week before off and Bama was playing their eighth consecutive game. Result: Bama squeaked by with a 19-14 victory.

On paper Bama should blow the doors off this tennessee squad, but this is a rivalry game and tennessee has recruited well - if Bama shows up thinking they can stroll on the field and tennessee will cower, it'll be a long afternoon.
Same record but not close in the results. In 2015 UT narrowly lost to Oklahoma in week 2 when they were up big (OU went to the play-off) and narrowly lost to FLA (1 pt) and ARK (4 pts) and they beat a ranked UGA the week before we played them. They went to 3-4 after our game and they won their last 6 games to finish 9-4. I just don't see this team having the talent, experience or the confidence this UT team had. I don't like the way the team appears to be treating this week so anything can happen......

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Same record but not close in the results. In 2015 UT narrowly lost to Oklahoma in week 2 when they were up big (OU went to the play-off) and narrowly lost to FLA (1 pt) and ARK (4 pts) and they beat a ranked UGA the week before we played them. They went to 3-4 after our game and they won their last 6 games to finish 9-4. I just don't see this team having the talent, experience or the confidence this UT team had. I don't like the way the team appears to be treating this week so anything can happen......
It would be my expectation that once they ( our guys ) get slapped up side the head a couple of times and maybe knocked on their collective butts a time or two as well, that they will apply the right amount of "focus" to the task at hand.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda what I figured. I think we're in for the type of game that annoys me more than losing a national title on the last play of the game. I hate inexplicable struggle wins. I admit it. I'm not proud of it but I'd rather lose throwing every punch than see Alabama muck around for 60 minutes in a win.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
These Marq Burnett make me feel better about this. Between the Bama fans convinced of a blowout and the tennessee fans predicting the same thing, I've grown more and more worried about a struggle win (at best) this week.

"They have players on scholarship, too..."

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Will be a hard fought game, will look tight for a qrt, then bama will impose their will on a weak dejected UT. They will come in hyped then realize this is a really good disciplined Bama team. I see a 20-30 point win but by second half we will be in control UT with Butch just will not be able to hang. Emotion and rivalry only goes so far, talent and depth will reign in second half. No cake walk but Bama will beat em down bit by bit, and lack of talent ( due to injuries not recruiting) and depth on UT will show big time later in game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
These Marq Burnett make me feel better about this. Between the Bama fans convinced of a blowout and the tennessee fans predicting the same thing, I've grown more and more worried about a struggle win (at best) this week.

"They have players on scholarship, too..."
The reality - if Alabama loses to TN at home this year, you aren't that good. It's not going to happen.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The reality - if Alabama loses to TN at home this year, you aren't that good. It's not going to happen.
Agreed.

But I'm not really worried about losing to tennessee - I'm a lot like rgw, though - I want Bama to show up and execute. i want them to play like that can, not 'just enough to win'.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed.

But I'm not really worried about losing to tennessee - I'm a lot like rgw, though - I want Bama to show up and execute. i want them to play like that can, not 'just enough to win'.
Yep. This has the making of an ugly win that is only because of talent, not play.

Saban indicated last night the staff might have done the necessary things to avoid it, though.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Yep. This has the making of an ugly win that is only because of talent, not play.

Saban indicated last night the staff might have done the necessary things to avoid it, though.
The "staff" can only do so much...at which time it becomes the players responsibility. Hopefully, they take/took ownership.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN

All y'all need to quit! :p_lol: I finally get to go to a game after a 2 year hiatus and I want to see a BEATDOWN!! I lived in Chattanooga during the Dark Ages of Bama Football (1996-2006) and I had to put up with ut fans singing "We own Alabama" to our beloved Lynyrd Skynyrd. Please, Lord, help the boys be focused!!

I do like the Hey Coach tweets, though. Makes me breathe a little easier.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The "staff" can only do so much...at which time it becomes the players responsibility. Hopefully, they take/took ownership.
And I think the team will. With all the Butch Jones getting fired talk and the lack of confidence UT has to have at this point, they may tank it after the first thing that goes bad. I can tell this has been a bad week at practice and this concerns me but there is such a discrepancy in where the two programs are now I don't see this game as a struggle. I don't think we cover by 35 but it will be comfortable in the 2nd half.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

thing is, for the 2015 game, tenpenny had just passed away the week before the game. i am still convinced that had a lot to do with how we played during that game. and i think that was a much better 10essee team than we will see tomorrow.

just speaking for myself, since saban arrived i expect us to show up and win convincingly (especially against 10essee). much more often than not (especially against 10essee) that happens. i expect the same tomorrow.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.