2017 Week 8 Game Week Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc.)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
And I think the team will. With all the Butch Jones getting fired talk and the lack of confidence UT has to have at this point, they may tank it after the first thing that goes bad. I can tell this has been a bad week at practice and this concerns me but there is such a discrepancy in where the two programs are now I don't see this game as a struggle. I don't think we cover by 35 but it will be comfortable in the 2nd half.
Yes, I am also getting that feeling that they may play better than they have most of the year while we play worse than we have most of the year. However, at this point, I don't know if their best can beat our worst. I know, I know, any team can win on a given day, but I think it will be a "victory" for them if they can keep it within two scores.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm actually predicting a bit of a down week for the Tide. We always struggle in the week before the off week just before the LSU game, but I don't see us losing. I think we are going to lean heavily on our run game because the Vols, well lets face it their run defense is trash, especially vs their pass defense which is actually pretty stiff. So I expect a short, possibly slightly boring game, I mean boring if you are one of those people who loves passing. I for one love watching our run game carve up someone like a roast. Because "if" it's going, there's really nothing you can do about it.

However having said all that I'm about convinced that Tennessee will dump their 4-2-5 defense entirely and come at us with some variant of 8 in the box with safeties all over the place clogging the lanes and forcing Jalen to throw the ball to get things moving.

I guess I have no clue what's going to happen. All I know is that watching film is useless for the Tide because everybody spends three times as much planning to play Alabama and they usually roll out something totally unseen prior to that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm actually predicting a bit of a down week for the Tide. We always struggle in the week before the off week just before the LSU game, but I don't see us losing. I think we are going to lean heavily on our run game because the Vols, well lets face it their run defense is trash, especially vs their pass defense which is actually pretty stiff. So I expect a short, possibly slightly boring game, I mean boring if you are one of those people who loves passing. I for one love watching our run game carve up someone like a roast. Because "if" it's going, there's really nothing you can do about it.

However having said all that I'm about convinced that Tennessee will dump their 4-2-5 defense entirely and come at us with some variant of 8 in the box with safeties all over the place clogging the lanes and forcing Jalen to throw the ball to get things moving.

I guess I have no clue what's going to happen. All I know is that watching film is useless for the Tide because everybody spends three times as much planning to play Alabama and they usually roll out something totally unseen prior to that.
I think we'll see that the rest of the year. It's all they have for a hope...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Kinda what I figured. I think we're in for the type of game that annoys me more than losing a national title on the last play of the game. I hate inexplicable struggle wins. I admit it. I'm not proud of it but I'd rather lose throwing every punch than see Alabama muck around for 60 minutes in a win.
I'll take any win, any way. I do agree that I get frustrated when we go out and mess around most of the game. I get driven to distraction when I see Muffed Punts, Interceptions, Fumbles and guys who are playing like they are Sleep Walking. I'm much happier when we play with a chip on our shoulders. I want to see the games where we play smash mouth football and as Coach Bear Bryant put it... KNOCK EM IN THE DIRT. (Putting it nicely) ;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A bad win is always better than a good loss but a good loss is easier to file away in the annals of history for me. I probably spent more time complaining about the Aggy game a few weeks back than dissecting the national championship from this past January. I've probably been processed by one too many Nick Saban press conference videos. :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So we'll see teams who plays 4-3 formation ( arkansas and Tennessee) to change up their defense to confuse us? Does LSU and Auburn plays 4-3 formation?
You know, no one really plays a true, pure 3-4 or 4-3 any more. We don't. I think, unless we pass them out of it, we'll see 6-7 coming on every play...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
You know, no one really plays a true, pure 3-4 or 4-3 any more. We don't. I think, unless we pass them out of it, we'll see 6-7 coming on every play...
If they bring 7, wouldn't that mean that they are most likely playing man with their backs to Jalen? If so, couldn't that mean a huge rushing day for Jalen? Looking forward to responses from people who know much more about football strategy than me.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If they bring 7, wouldn't that mean that they are most likely playing man with their backs to Jalen? If so, couldn't that mean a huge rushing day for Jalen? Looking forward to responses from people who know much more about football strategy than me.
Well, Huge rushing day for Harris, Scarbough and Hurts.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If they bring 7 and we have 5 in the pattern and have to figure out which 7 are coming each time how can we run effectively against that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If they bring 7 and we have 5 in the pattern and have to figure out which 7 are coming each time how can we run effectively against that?

I think it was 2 years ago we had something called the black hole where we pulled 2 DE to run block to Henry in short yardage situations and we always got it. They were unstoppable. Not saying we should do the same thing, but I think if they wanna prove to us that we cannot run, that we have the players to prove that we can run.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If they bring 7, and we have 5, That means someone will be wide open. However, we probably will adjust because we'll use two TE formation, with RB back to block or slip out... We probably will see few of that tomorrow. We can go 4 or 5 receiver set, to force them to adjust... Many options.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

My point/question was if they bring 7, that only leaves 4 in the back (wouldn't they just about have to be in man coverage with their backs to the QB?) so if/when Jalen breaks containment, he should have quite a bit of green in front of him. But to your point, yeah, if they rush 7 on a 5 wide, somebody has to be uncovered so throw right at that blitz.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
They can bring 11 we will find a way to run, very few have stopped us before. This year no one has shut our run down, we have over 2000 yds rushing this year, that is around 300 rushing per game. I am confident we will run on UT.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just heard that Alabama has 1400 yards rushing before first contact. OMG

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.