Colin Kapernick suing the NFL

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Colin Kapernick suing the Nfl

Apparently the spotlight has dimmed to the point to where he needed to do something else.....to try to shine once more

Attention-Slut
I think it appropriate

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

He might be 10% better - and owners have apparently decided the risk outweighs the reward.
I'm responding to the whole post but I don't like having all that stuff above.

I do not at all disagree that the owners and teams are making what they think to be sound business decisions. I think a significant chunk of that is worrying about fan backlash and part of it is probably personally beliefs weighted against the benefit of signing him. I am aware of all the Baltimore stuff and I don't think Kaepernick signing there would be bad for the city.

There are a ton of factors for individual cases and we could probably go through each one if we really wanted but the bottom line, to me at least, is would Kaepernick be on a team if the protest wasn't a factor? I am pretty confident that he would be but it's impossible to prove (part of the reason I think this action is a bad idea).

Of course I realize the goal of NFL teams are to make money. That doesn't really impact what I said at all.

Kaepernick wasn't cut because of the protest either he just wasn't signed by anyone which is why I would have to look into it. There could be a lesser known player or something I simply don't know because I haven't looked into it. I doubt every player kneeling is a better player than Kaep but their names aren't attached to the protest so it shouldn't impact them as much I would think.

I completely agree that there is a curve here and that if Kaep was Tom Brady he would be signed. I don't think that's super important though and Kaepernick is a better player than Sam or Tebow ever were. I also find it hard to believe Tebow's religion impacted his ability to get an NFL job considering the entire NFL and football world is a big Christian love fest half the time. Kaepernick's situation seems unique.

Again, I think I mostly understand why teams aren't signing him. I get that he isn't good enough for them to want to risk the baggage they think will come with him. But that baggage comes from his protest. And, just like I would think it is wrong of a team not to sign Sam or Tebow for the reasons you mentioned I think its wrong for them not to sign Kaep for his protest.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

Being better than the worst starting quarterback in the NFL is hardly an asset.......

While I'm not stupid enough to think the anthem thing plays NO role in it (e.g. I can see how if you had a choice between him and an almost the same QB for much less money and much less baggage why you'd reject CK), he's just not that good. There's 32 teams in the NFL, and he ranked 32nd in QBR. The comeback, of course, is to say QBR depends on your receivers and he didn't have any decent ones. Ok - then don't turn right around and give him alone credit for the 49ers getting to the Super Bowl, either, then.

Even during his heyday of performance (2012-14), he was 23rd in the league in accuracy. Starting in 2015, the guy ranked THIRTY-FIFTH among qualified passers in "off target pct" - that was dead last in a league that only has 32 teams.

Talent is not the same as performance.

Let's ignore the inconvenient fact that Kap quit the 49ers on his own while we're at it.......

Mallett is guaranteed to make $900K as a backup because - like Kap - he's in year seven in the NFL. The Ravens have made the decision that he fits their offense better for minimally more money. And is Kap REALLY looking for backup money? Or is he looking for starter money?

Drew Brees is a drop back passer, not an option QB. One has to have the right fit. Tom Brady could not make it as the Seattle quarterback, either.

Let me put it this way.....I seem to recall a black quarterback who got multiple jobs after doing a jail sentence for dog fighting. And that right there is proof - if any were needed - that his lack of signing is based more on "he's not that good" than "he protested."

Indeed.....why has nobody else lost their jobs who has protested?

He's not just better than the worst, he's better than a few who are starting and no doubt a few backups. Different systems yes, but their are plenty of NFL backups who arent in a system tailored to them. QBR is one of the worst stats to use to judge how good a QB is. Case Keenum has a higher QBR than Aaron Rogers right now. Let that sink in. Mallett is just one of many examples i was using of bad QB's in the NFL who are on rosters regardless of system. The Bills, Seahawks, Panthers, Titans,are teams who he's fit with. Their backups include the likes of Matt Cassell, Cooper Rush, Case Keenum,.. Last season, Alex Smith was backed up by Tyler Bray. The guy should at worse be in the league on a roster. As far as VIck goes, this backlash is 10X greater. Not a good comparison. He opted out of his contract. With the new GM coming in he was going to move into a different direction. Makes perfect sense to me. And lets not forget he took Alex Smiths job (current MVP candidate) because Smith couldnt get anything done in the playoffs.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

That's the cool thing about being a semi libertarian and living in this country: I'll let you have your own opinion and I won't hate you or call you bad names because it's different than my opinion. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, I will not hate you or call you bad names either. Life is too short! I will however say to you Roll Tide! I'm pretty sure we agree on that.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I don't think it has anything to do with his skin color. Not even sure where that came from. Pretty sure the NFL is somewhere around 50% mix on race (don't quote me didn't look it up).

My feelings on the protest are this... 1. You're on the job you do what your boss tells you to and you don't cost your job money. Which is what the protests are doing to the NFL. 2. The protestors say they are protesting to bring attention to racial injustice. However they have really done absolutely nothing to fix the issue. All they've done is cause more diversion.

As far as Kap is concerned he hasn't been good for years and he somehow thought any of this was going to help him? With that kind of thought process you'd think he had went to au.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think it has anything to do with his skin color. Not even sure where that came from. Pretty sure the NFL is somewhere around 50% mix on race (don't quote me didn't look it up).

My feelings on the protest are this... 1. You're on the job you do what your boss tells you to and you don't cost your job money. Which is what the protests are doing to the NFL. 2. The protestors say they are protesting to bring attention to racial injustice. However they have really done absolutely nothing to fix the issue. All they've done is cause more diversion.

As far as Kap is concerned he hasn't been good for years and he somehow thought any of this was going to help him? With that kind of thought process you'd think he had went to au.
actually, kapernick has given quite a bit of money to groups dealing with these issues.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

The flaw in this argument is that it assumes an NFL player is like your average employee. They simply aren't. The NFL and other sports leagues follow very different rules. Comparing it to your average Joe's job is a false equivalence.

actually, kapernick has given quite a bit of money to groups dealing with these issues.
Here is his website where there is an unprecedented amount of information available on his charitable contributions.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Again, I think I mostly understand why teams aren't signing him. I get that he isn't good enough for them to want to risk the baggage they think will come with him. But that baggage comes from his protest. And, just like I would think it is wrong of a team not to sign Sam or Tebow for the reasons you mentioned I think its wrong for them not to sign Kaep for his protest.
It's a business decision. If the majority of your primary demographic of viewers/ticket buyers believe that Kapernick is a douchebag for not standing for the anthem, and result in less money in your pocket then it makes zero sense to sign him. If any team at this point in the season thought that Kapernick would get them to the super bowl I imagine they would be signing him and live with the consequences. Winning cures many problems. However, I don't believe that to be the case at this point in the season. I can't imagine you think it's possible either. Again, its not "just" his protest that is keeping him from being signed.

We are likely just saying the same thing in different ways. I just think it is important to point out that it all comes down to money in the organizations pocket.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It's a business decision. If the majority of your primary demographic of viewers/ticket buyers believe that Kapernick is a douchebag for not standing for the anthem, and result in less money in your pocket then it makes zero sense to sign him. If any team at this point in the season thought that Kapernick would get them to the super bowl I imagine they would be signing him and live with the consequences. Winning cures many problems. However, I don't believe that to be the case at this point in the season. I can't imagine you think it's possible either. Again, its not "just" his protest that is keeping him from being signed.

We are likely just saying the same thing in different ways. I just think it is important to point out that it all comes down to money in the organizations pocket.
But it is. If it wasn't for the protest he would in all likelihood be on a team. I agree that all NFL owners/franchises aren't just sitting there saying "he protest I won't sign him"(though I bet some are) but the underlying issue is still the protest. But the main underlining issue that is keeping him from being signed is the protest.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

But it is. If it wasn't for the protest he would in all likelihood be on a team. I agree that all NFL owners/franchises aren't just sitting there saying "he protest I won't sign him"(though I bet some are) but the underlining issue is still the protest. But the main underlining issue that is keeping him from being signed is the protest.
His protest would cause a team to lose viewership/fans. Owners make money by having more viewership and fans. You say it's the protest. I say its the fan's reaction to the protest. I don't think most owners would care if the fans didn't. For you to say it is only his protest, seems like you are expecting the owners to go against their own self interest.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

But it is. If it wasn't for the protest he would in all likelihood be on a team. I agree that all NFL owners/franchises aren't just sitting there saying "he protest I won't sign him"(though I bet some are) but the underlining issue is still the protest. But the main underlining issue that is keeping him from being signed is the protest.
And?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

And that's the way it was

His protest would cause a team to lose viewership/fans. Owners make money by having more viewership and fans. You say it's the protest. I say its the fan's reaction to the protest. I don't think most owners would care if the fans didn't. For you to say it is only his protest, seems like you are expecting the owners to go against their own self interest.
Fans reaction to the protest is still the protest as the main issue. I don't know who owns every team but off the top of my head I can think of a few who I'm sure would be against the protest regardless of fan reaction. I just think its important to keep the real issue at the forefront. I get that there are other factors involved technically but the underlying issue still is the protest. I don't think I really disagree with you I just disagree on what the point of emphasis is/should be.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Fans reaction to the protest is still the protest as the main issue. I don't know who owns every team but off the top of my head I can think of a few who I'm sure would be against the protest regardless of fan reaction. I just think its important to keep the real issue at the forefront. I get that there are other factors involved technically but the underlying issue still is the protest. I don't think I really disagree with you I just disagree on what the point of emphasis is/should be.
Fair enough. So I think we can both agree that if a team signs Kapernick it would cause harm to that team's fanbase. To what degree, and whether that would be offset by gains in fans due to fans who agree with Kapernick's message, I am unsure. But for the sake of this discussion, I am going to assume that there are more fans angered by his stance than fans gained by it. This is due to viewership demographics and the fact that the NFL has been in decline. The people who would likely be happy with his stance aren't really into football. Millennials just aren't really into NFL.

So given all of the above, and feel free to dispute my assumptions. Is it in the best interest for NFL owners to sign him? If it isn't, are they wrong for going against their best interest?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Will everyone who says "You don't have a right to protest on company time" now shut up since the players now have approval from corporate headquarters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's okay for the taxpayers and customers who help fund the NFL to continue griping about the protests occurring on their dime/time.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I think it's okay for the taxpayers and customers who help fund the NFL to continue griping about the protests occurring on their dime/time.
Don't necessarily disagree with this but just wanted to point out- Some people are fine with millions worth of golfing on their dime. I think they can survive a few people kneeling for under 5 minutes a week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.