Colin Kapernick suing the NFL

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Colin Kapernick suing the Nfl

Fair enough. So I think we can both agree that if a team signs Kapernick it would cause harm to that team's fanbase. To what degree, and whether that would be offset by gains in fans due to fans who agree with Kapernick's message, I am unsure. But for the sake of this discussion, I am going to assume that there are more fans angered by his stance than fans gained by it. This is due to viewership demographics and the fact that the NFL has been in decline. The people who would likely be happy with his stance aren't really into football. Millennials just aren't really into NFL.

So given all of the above, and feel free to dispute my assumptions. Is it in the best interest for NFL owners to sign him? If it isn't, are they wrong for going against their best interest?
Well, this not an easy question because there are a lot of factors here. First, we have to establish if there has been a significant backlash against the protests. We can't predict the future so it's hard to know what fans reactions would be when a team signed Kaepernick so I'll stick to the NFL as a whole. So, there isn't any real proof, that I know of at least, that reaction to the protests are the main or even a very significant cause of the NFL ratings decline (if someone has a source showing the opposite I'd like to see it). Part of the decline is likely from an overall decline in people who watch cable. Not to mention the NFL isn't the only professional sports league that is suffering from a ratings decrease. I believe both NASCAR and the NBA have seen ratings drops in recent years. So, I'm not entirely sure how legitimate the fan reaction concern is. While it has more than likely played a part I think it is fair to say that there is a larger issue(s) at play with the NFL and sports viewership decline.

As you cited, Millennials aren't as interested in live sports so the older demographic is clearly important. This could be viewed as a point in favor of the NFL needing to clamp down on protests as those over the age of 45 tend to be less tolerant of the protests. But, that isn't a very forward thinking way to look at it. The reality is that if you are reliant on older Americans and not drawing in younger viewers then you aren't going to be around for much longer. So, it would make sense to me for the NFL to focus more of its energy drawing younger viewers. Well, Millennials tend to be more supportive of the protest and are the most diverse generation in US history. It could and I would bet eventually would backfire on the NFL and individual teams to be seen as anti Kaepernick or protest.

So, even if it is against a teams short term interests to not sign Kaepenick and/or to stop players from kneeling I am not at all convinced it is in their long term interests to do so.

Are they wrong for acting in their best interests(assuming they are)? That depends on the definition of wrong. I disagree with it from a political and moral standpoint but if its wrong financially or not has yet to be determined.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Are they wrong for acting in their best interests(assuming they are)? That depends on the definition of wrong. I disagree with it from a political and moral standpoint but if its wrong financially or not has yet to be determined.
Ok, let's simplify. If the people running a business believe that hiring someone would not be good for the brand, or the financials of the entity, should they be obligated to do so?

Our perception of the league and how the demographics are working out are immaterial. I don't own an NFL team, and I am assuming you don't either so frankly our opinions on how the hiring of Kapernick would affect the bottom line, now or in the future, is immaterial.

We aren't talking about equal employment opportunity either here. So that is a non starter.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Ok, let's simplify. If the people running a business believe that hiring someone would not be good for the brand, or the financials of the entity, should they be obligated to do so?

Our perception of the league and how the demographics are working out are immaterial. I don't own an NFL team, and I am assuming you don't either so frankly our opinions on how the hiring of Kapernick would affect the bottom line, now or in the future, is immaterial.

We aren't talking about equal employment opportunity either here. So that is a non starter.
No, of course not. But I don't think most people are seriously advocating for an NFL team to be forced to sign Kaepernick.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

You sound so conservative in your recent posts I had to do a double take. ;)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The hilarious thing about all this is it was simply a marketing gimmick between him and his agent. He wasn't protesting when he was starting. He started protesting when he got benched. On top of that, he wears pigs in police uniform socks as well? So antagonizing the police is part of the protest to bring awareness of police brutality toward young, black males? Come on...this dude is just desperate to keep the spot light on him. He wasn't concerned about police violence toward young black men...considering he's half white and raised by his white adoptive parents.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

You sound so conservative in your recent posts I had to do a double take. ;)
I think I am pretty consistent with regards to free speech. In general, you are allowed to say whatever you want. You are also subject to the ramifications of that speech and the government isn't obligated to ensure that people listen. This is an example of that.

Maybe this will get it back on track. Trump is a bona fide idiot. Going after the NFL and the owners is the epitome of stupid. Economic forces will solve the protest issue, as I don't really believe that the fanbase will ever care what "overpaid babies who are lucky to be playing a game for a living" have to say on any issue unless it's something that makes them feel better about themselves like breast cancer awareness. "See honey, the NFL isn't just about violence, they care about boobies too!"

Edit: I see the form of protest of kneeling during the anthem about as useful for stopping police violence as when I hear people say they are going to pray for hurricane victims. If you are really so concerned, take out your checkbook and write a check, or hop in your car and go start cleaning up. Same with the BLM movement. Now some players who are kneeling, are also taking steps in the community to ensure that they can affect positive change. Good on them. And the same for the people who say they are praying for natural disaster victims. Kudos to both people who decide to take action instead of just paying lip service.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I think I am pretty consistent with regards to free speech. In general, you are allowed to say whatever you want. You are also subject to the ramifications of that speech and the government isn't obligated to ensure that people listen. This is an example of that.

Maybe this will get it back on track. Trump is a bona fide idiot. Going after the NFL and the owners is the epitome of stupid. Economic forces will solve the protest issue, as I don't really believe that the fanbase will ever care what "overpaid babies who are lucky to be playing a game for a living" have to say on any issue unless it's something that makes them feel better about themselves like breast cancer awareness. "See honey, the NFL isn't just about violence, they care about boobies too!"

Edit: I see the form of protest of kneeling during the anthem about as useful for stopping police violence as when I hear people say they are going to pray for hurricane victims. If you are really so concerned, take out your checkbook and write a check, or hop in your car and go start cleaning up. Same with the BLM movement. Now some players who are kneeling, are also taking steps in the community to ensure that they can affect positive change. Good on them. And the same for the people who say they are praying for natural disaster victims. Kudos to both people who decide to take action instead of just paying lip service.
No disagreement there. It's been a massive clown car ride at the local Shriner's parade thus far.

And yes, as far as the hurricane went, I was cleaning out a few houses and businesses with my friends. My lower back still hurts as a result. ;)

I'm with you on the "prayer/lip service" bit. Be a man of action...pray right before you go into the "event" you are assisting so you don't get hurt and you make a meaningful impact on someone's life.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Kap was a great qb then protest or no protest he would’ve been on a team. The fan reaction is a huge reason I believe his career to be over, but his antics after starting the protest are probably just as important to why he isn’t signed as the protest he started.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
ESPN reporting total of settlement between Kaepernick and Reid is less than $10 million, before legal fees. I'm sure Earle could give a ballpark figure on what legal fees would be in this type case. Article states it isn't sure how much of the $10 million is allocated to Kap and how much to Reid. But knowing how high legal fees can get. It doesn't appear they're getting a lot of money, considering.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
ESPN reporting total of settlement between Kaepernick and Reid is less than $10 million, before legal fees. I'm sure Earle could give a ballpark figure on what legal fees would be in this type case. Article states it isn't sure how much of the $10 million is allocated to Kap and how much to Reid. But knowing how high legal fees can get. It doesn't appear they're getting a lot of money, considering.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26323226/report-kaepernick-grievance-nets-10m
Maybe $1M each. Shocking this isn’t getting much media coverage. If they had received the numbers floated by a certain group in the realm of $100M you’d never hear the end of it..

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yea, but not a peep from the SJWs who would be trumpeting this had it been what they thought $100M..
I thought those darned SJW's had turned on him for selling out by taking the big settlement money?

Man, it's tough to keep up with what the righty SFWs claim the lefty SJWs are thinking/doing. I do know the SFWs have been pretty silent on ol Presidente* ripping on deceased war heroes lately.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought those darned SJW's had turned on him for selling out by taking the big settlement money?

Man, it's tough to keep up with what the righty SFWs claim the lefty SJWs are thinking/doing. I do know the SFWs have been pretty silent on ol Presidente* ripping on deceased war heroes lately.
SFW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think this is a major "loss" for the players and players' union to be honest. Assuming the settlement was a sign of an admission of guilt. Kaepernick basically received a fraction of what his salary was the last year they had a contract the had to pay legal fees to boot. That's it! That's all the NFL had to come out of pocket for collusion.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think this is a major "loss" for the players and players' union to be honest. Assuming the settlement was a sign of an admission of guilt. Kaepernick basically received a fraction of what his salary was the last year they had a contract the had to pay legal fees to boot. That's it! That's all the NFL had to come out of pocket for collusion.
It wasn’t collusion though. He was offered contracts and turned them down. He asked the AAF for $20M per year to play: “However, America's new football league, the Alliance of American Football, reportedly sought out adding Kaepernick to a roster, which would bring him back into the fray of American football. However, Kaepernick's request of $20 million or more to take the field is absolutely ridiculous and does not present a good image for the quarterback.”

He thinks he’s a martyr but he’s just delusional..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.