Colin Kapernick suing the NFL

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Colin Kapernick suing the Nfl

Technically, he hasn’t sued the NFL. He’s filed a grievance that is subject to arbitration between him (through the NFLPA) and the NFL.

Here’s a nice little write-up about the matter:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2017/10/15/colin-kaepernick-collusion-lawsuit-against-nfl
He's not going through the NFLPA, He's his his own counsel.

The NFL has proven they will tolerate your baggage if your talent is worth it. His talent has dropped to the point where he's not worth his baggage. It's not his stance, his skin color, or his awful hair. He's not outperforming the negative that comes with employing him. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i can tell you one thing. He's a lot better than a few QBs that are actually starting right now. Im not sure why he's not in the league. But it darn sure aint from a lack of talent. Brian Hoyer (until their game yesterday) was starting for the 49's...Ryan Mallet is backing up Flacco in B'more..Chase Daniel backs up Drew Brees...I could go on. He should be in the league if it's based on talent. If the teams want to avoid the PR hit, then i can understand that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Green Bay has an opening.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I've heard a couple of Green Bay fans say that they would be through with Green Bay if they hired Kapernick. I suspect the potential number of dissenters will steer management away from him.

Does Kapernick have any evidence of collusion?
The link I provided above provides a good analysis of the possible arguments.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I read it and it is a good analysis but was wondering what evidence Kapernick has that would prove collusion. I guess this would come out later in the process.
I assume it's mostly public statements. Nevertheless, his ability to "find" evidence through pretrial discovery is limited, and whatever evidence he thinks he has can only be within the last 90 days.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

He's not going through the NFLPA, He's his his own counsel.

The NFL has proven they will tolerate your baggage if your talent is worth it. His talent has dropped to the point where he's not worth his baggage. It's not his stance, his skin color, or his awful hair. He's not outperforming the negative that comes with employing him. .

I think it is actually his skin color and his stance.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I think it is actually his skin color and his stance.
That's the cool thing about being a semi libertarian and living in this country: I'll let you have your own opinion and I won't hate you or call you bad names because it's different than my opinion. ;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I've heard a couple of Green Bay fans say that they would be through with Green Bay if they hired Kapernick. I suspect the potential number of dissenters will steer management away from him.

Does Kapernick have any evidence of collusion?
Green Bay won't sign him. They realllllly like their backup QB and I don't see a team signing Kaepernick at all at this point.

Tbh, I think this is the wrong move for him. I support the players protest and such but I just don't think this is the right move. That said I could always be wrong.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

i can tell you one thing. He's a lot better than a few QBs that are actually starting right now.
Being better than the worst starting quarterback in the NFL is hardly an asset.......

Im not sure why he's not in the league.
While I'm not stupid enough to think the anthem thing plays NO role in it (e.g. I can see how if you had a choice between him and an almost the same QB for much less money and much less baggage why you'd reject CK), he's just not that good. There's 32 teams in the NFL, and he ranked 32nd in QBR. The comeback, of course, is to say QBR depends on your receivers and he didn't have any decent ones. Ok - then don't turn right around and give him alone credit for the 49ers getting to the Super Bowl, either, then.

Even during his heyday of performance (2012-14), he was 23rd in the league in accuracy. Starting in 2015, the guy ranked THIRTY-FIFTH among qualified passers in "off target pct" - that was dead last in a league that only has 32 teams.

But it darn sure aint from a lack of talent.
Talent is not the same as performance.

Brian Hoyer (until their game yesterday) was starting for the 49's
Let's ignore the inconvenient fact that Kap quit the 49ers on his own while we're at it.......

...Ryan Mallet is backing up Flacco in B'more
Mallett is guaranteed to make $900K as a backup because - like Kap - he's in year seven in the NFL. The Ravens have made the decision that he fits their offense better for minimally more money. And is Kap REALLY looking for backup money? Or is he looking for starter money?

..Chase Daniel backs up Drew Brees...I could go on.
Drew Brees is a drop back passer, not an option QB. One has to have the right fit. Tom Brady could not make it as the Seattle quarterback, either.

He should be in the league if it's based on talent. If the teams want to avoid the PR hit, then i can understand that.
Let me put it this way.....I seem to recall a black quarterback who got multiple jobs after doing a jail sentence for dog fighting. And that right there is proof - if any were needed - that his lack of signing is based more on "he's not that good" than "he protested."

Indeed.....why has nobody else lost their jobs who has protested?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Why aren't fans reacting the same way to all the others who have participated in similar protests during the natl anthem?:confused:
I guess the outrage doesn't run too deep.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Being better than the worst starting quarterback in the NFL is hardly an asset.......

While I'm not stupid enough to think the anthem thing plays NO role in it (e.g. I can see how if you had a choice between him and an almost the same QB for much less money and much less baggage why you'd reject CK), he's just not that good. There's 32 teams in the NFL, and he ranked 32nd in QBR. The comeback, of course, is to say QBR depends on your receivers and he didn't have any decent ones. Ok - then don't turn right around and give him alone credit for the 49ers getting to the Super Bowl, either, then.
Even during his heyday of performance (2012-14), he was 23rd in the league in accuracy. Starting in 2015, the guy ranked THIRTY-FIFTH among qualified passers in "off target pct" - that was dead last in a league that only has 32 teams.
Kaepernick is clearly better than many QBs in the NFL regardless of system. System absolutely matters but not when there is a huge talent gap between 2 players and Kaepernick is far and away better than many backups and some starters. I'm not going to argue every backup job because there are a ton of factors but I think there is solid reason to believe he would be on a team if it wasn't for the protest.

Let's ignore the inconvenient fact that Kap quit the 49ers on his own while we're at it.......
Can we also ignore the inconvenient fact that Kaepernick and the 49ers had a talk and they informed him they were going to cut him? He left "on his own" but was gone anyway and he knew it. It wasn't really that he "quit"

Mallett is guaranteed to make $900K as a backup because - like Kap - he's in year seven in the NFL. The Ravens have made the decision that he fits their offense better for minimally more money. And is Kap REALLY looking for backup money? Or is he looking for starter money?
The Ravens are idiots if the genuinely think Mallet is better for any system. He is straight up terrible. This is a good example of a talent gap where Kaepernick makes sense IMO. Also, there is no reason to believe Kaepernick is asking for anything more than backup money to assume he is asking for a lot of money is silly. The only reason why that talking point has come up is to try and discredit him or put more direct blame on him. In fact I'm pretty sure its been reported money hasn't even really come up with most teams because they just won't sign him but I would have to check on that.

Let me put it this way.....I seem to recall a black quarterback who got multiple jobs after doing a jail sentence for dog fighting. And that right there is proof - if any were needed - that his lack of signing is based more on "he's not that good" than "he protested."
I think you completely missed it here. This is proof the the NFL is more worried about fans lashing out because of a Kaepernick signing than they are about fans lashing out because of various other crimes. This says more to me about the priority of NFL teams and fans than anything about Kaepernick's QB ability.

Indeed.....why has nobody else lost their jobs who has protested?
Well, I don't know for sure that non one else has been iced out I would have to look into it. But the obvious answer here is that Kaepernick started it and is getting most of the attention and blame for it. I don't think he was cut from the 49ers because of the protest but I do think it has impacted his ability to find a job.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Why aren't fans reacting the same way to all the others who have participated in similar protests during the natl anthem?:confused:
I guess the outrage doesn't run too deep.
1) The fans don't have anything to do with whether he's signed (which is what the OP is about)

2) The other guys can, you know, actually PLAY football

I suspect a LOT of this is manufactured, starting with the initial protest (and more important - its coverage) right through to today.

I've said my piece on another thread, but the entire thing is stupid from start to finish.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Kaepernick is clearly better than many QBs in the NFL regardless of system.

He might be 10% better - and owners have apparently decided the risk outweighs the reward.

And given what I cited earlier, he ain't lighting the world on fire.

System absolutely matters but not when there is a huge talent gap between 2 players and Kaepernick is far and away better than many backups and some starters. I'm not going to argue every backup job because there are a ton of factors but I think there is solid reason to believe he would be on a team if it wasn't for the protest.

Here's the problem - I seriously doubt anyone "really" believes that his protest doesn't factor into the decision. Of course, you know what else might factor into that decision? His apparently radical and controlling girlfriend.

Can we also ignore the inconvenient fact that Kaepernick and the 49ers had a talk and they informed him they were going to cut him? He left "on his own" but was gone anyway and he knew it. It wasn't really that he "quit"
A fair point except one also has to consider this: 2-14. The only team with a worse record (Cleveland) dumped all three of their QBs. San Fran, yes, they dumped an $11 million protester, but they also dumped Blaine Gabbert, who beat Kap out for the starter job last year.

Quarterbacks, for good or ill, get both too much credit AND too much blame. It simply shouldn't surprise anyone that the teams with the two worst records dumped all their QBs (and San Fran hired a new coach who has yet to win a game).

The Ravens are idiots if the genuinely think Mallet is better for any system. He is straight up terrible. This is a good example of a talent gap where Kaepernick makes sense IMO.
You ARE aware that Ray Lewis has claimed Baltimore was "this close" and in a meeting to sign Kap when his girlfriend tweeted a racist tweet, right? And you ARE aware (I hope) that Baltimore went up in flames a few years back over protests of the killing of Freddie Gray in police custody.....so let's see......do you REALLY want Colin Kaepernick in that situation? Honestly?

Now, I happen to agree with you that he's probably a better QB than Ryan Mallet. But he's not substantially better enough to make it worth what the team deems an acceptable risk.

Also, there is no reason to believe Kaepernick is asking for anything more than backup money to assume he is asking for a lot of money is silly. The only reason why that talking point has come up is to try and discredit him or put more direct blame on him. In fact I'm pretty sure its been reported money hasn't even really come up with most teams because they just won't sign him but I would have to check on that.
What's funny is you want to call this a talking point and yet nobody wants to look at the other side of the situation. Brandon Weedon's name keeps getting thrown into the mix because - let's be honest - yeah, Kap is a better QB than Brandon Weedon, no question.

Might have something to do with this:

Kap minimum guaranteed salary: $900K
Brandon Weeden salary: $592K (of which only 470K counts against the cap)

If you subtract Weeden's Browns stats (because nobody seems to be able to do anything there), he's actually better STATISTICALLY than Kap is in a number of areas. Now - I don't for one second think he's a better QB than Colin is, but he's not "that much" worse and he costs 1/2 and doesn't have the baggage.

I think you completely missed it here. This is proof the the NFL is more worried about fans lashing out because of a Kaepernick signing than they are about fans lashing out because of various other crimes. This says more to me about the priority of NFL teams and fans than anything about Kaepernick's QB ability.
Well, now, I hope you realize the goal of an NFL owner is usually to MAKE MONEY. Super Bowl rings and all that stuff? That's for the players to worry about.

Well, I don't know for sure that non one else has been iced out I would have to look into it. But the obvious answer here is that Kaepernick started it and is getting most of the attention and blame for it.
Nobody else has been cut BECAUSE of the anthem because the other players can actually, you know, play football competently.

I don't think he was cut from the 49ers because of the protest but I do think it has impacted his ability to find a job.
Do I think it plays a role? Yes - just like Tim Tebow's outspoken Christianity and Michael Sam's sexual orientation DO (up to a point) play a role in what occurs. But if Tebow were Tom Brady ability, guess what? If Michael Sam was Dick Butkus/Lawrence Taylor ability, guess what?

In other words, it's a factor but only in separating out someone of similar ability.

Look, I have no dog in the hunt here. I'm no more going to tune in than tune out if so and so signs him. In fact, I think so many people have missed the boat on him - part of it his fault, part of it the media. While his protest is highly misguided, he IS involved in community, and he DID follow the advice of an Army veteran on kneeling rather than sitting. He blew himself to pieces when he compared cops to pigs and wore the Fidel Castro shirt....but unlike the pack mentality that responded to the President out of petulant immaturity, he staked out his position and took it early.

But the bottom line for everyone is he just isn't worth the risk. There seem to be two opposed groups here, the group that somehow thinks he's entitled to some sort of a job and the group that defiantly insists he remain unemployed in football. I think both sides are wrong in their positions that are so defiantly held.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.