Opinions on our defense

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Our weakness is at Linebacker. Our OLB and MLB continually fail to pick up RB's flaring to the outside. We will also have issues once we face a mobile QB that is able to effectively run the read option and run-pass-option. But those things can be fixed with proper reads. I won't go as far as to call out individual players, but some have more fixing than others.
The first four times RB's flared out in the TAM game nobody picked them up. Finally either the players are the coaching staff wised-up and one of the LB's started covering the RB. After a couple or so times of the play being covered, I believe TAM quit running it.

I don't recall not covering the RB being a problem in the Arkansas game. It didn't standout in any way. Maybe Arkansas didn't flare out a RB.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Correct I guess I was thinking more of the pick 6 plays. Do not have near as many NOT's this year. Most of these great scores have been ourOFFENSE which is good, now imagine a few defensive TD's tossed on top :rolleye2:
Our 2016 had a fair number of takeaways but they actually weren't at the top in total takeaways (they were top 5 though). The 2016 unit was terrifyingly good at turning a turnover into a touchdown though. We've actually had a pretty good number of takeaways through the halfway point but just not as many scores.

Edit: we're on pace to pass that turnover number but admittedly the quality of opponent is going up down the stretch so maybe not...at either rate 2016 was a special defensive unit.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's like they've been coached wrong all these years!
No way to say that Prof. The D has been fantastic for a long time. But maybe it's the experience level, I'm not sure, but our DB's seem to be in better position than they've ever been in the Coach S. era. I've seen few passes where we didn't at least have the opportunity to make a play, and that speaks volumes.
I love this defense. Yes, we have to blitz more, but so be it. We do what's required.
It's a different group every single year and they each have their own identity.
This defense isn't as physical, but it seems to be more athletic overall.
I'll take it! :)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
No way to say that Prof. The D has been fantastic for a long time. But maybe it's the experience level, I'm not sure, but our DB's seem to be in better position than they've ever been in the Coach S. era. I've seen few passes where we didn't at least have the opportunity to make a play, and that speaks volumes.
I love this defense. Yes, we have to blitz more, but so be it. We do what's required.
It's a different group every single year and they each have their own identity.
This defense isn't as physical, but it seems to be more athletic overall.
I'll take it! :)
Agree with the bolded part completely. Also, think Pruitt is an upgrade, especially making use of the athleticism you spoke of. It's probably the primary reason he's had such success against Malzahn and most other "spread" type teams. His defenses have given up a total of 2 TDs the last 3 times (UGA & Bama) he faced Malzahn. He hasn't given up 300 yds yet, last year at Bama 182 total D. Pruitt is a great DC, maybe the best at making use of great talent.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Agree with the bolded part completely. Also, think Pruitt is an upgrade, especially making use of the athleticism you spoke of. It's probably the primary reason he's had such success against Malzahn and most other "spread" type teams. His defenses have given up a total of 2 TDs the last 3 times (UGA & Bama) he faced Malzahn. He hasn't given up 300 yds yet, last year at Bama 182 total D. Pruitt is a great DC, maybe the best at making use of great talent.
I agree on Pruitt - he's done a great job. I also think that part of it is that we've recruited and then shaped players differently to have a defense like the one we have now. We don't have McClain, Hightower, Johnson, DePreist type ILB's anymore who weight 250-260. i't's not a coincidence that after the summer all the ILBs are around 235. Some gained weight and some lost weight, but they are all in the same pretty narrow range now. We've put a premium on balancing size with speed. Our DE's previously were mostly above 300 with very few being smaller and now many of them are in the 285-290 range with only a few above 300. Even the guys at NG are somewhat smaller. I think Saban and Cochran should get credit for that, as we went after these guys before Pruitt and then Cochran put together a plan to shape them differently. Pruitt has been a master of how to best utilize the guys we have though, especially with the injuries this year and how he's mixed and matched several of the linebackers all over the place.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I agree on Pruitt - he's done a great job. I also think that part of it is that we've recruited and then shaped players differently to have a defense like the one we have now. We don't have McClain, Hightower, Johnson, DePreist type ILB's anymore who weight 250-260. i't's not a coincidence that after the summer all the ILBs are around 235. Some gained weight and some lost weight, but they are all in the same pretty narrow range now. We've put a premium on balancing size with speed. Our DE's previously were mostly above 300 with very few being smaller and now many of them are in the 285-290 range with only a few above 300. Even the guys at NG are somewhat smaller. I think Saban and Cochran should get credit for that, as we went after these guys before Pruitt and then Cochran put together a plan to shape them differently. Pruitt has been a master of how to best utilize the guys we have though, especially with the injuries this year and how he's mixed and matched several of the linebackers all over the place.
Outstanding post.
Add props to position coaches Dunbar and Lupoi, AND the likelihood that Ansley is more comfortable in Sabans' systems.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Saban and the University need to do everything they can to keep Jeremy Pruitt. I really like him and his schemes he uses for defense. He is also a great recruiter. I know he wants to be a head coach someday, but hopefully he will stay for at least 5 more years :) When he leaves, I am afraid it may hurt our recruiting and our play for a season or so.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'm really liking this defense. I'm with others that the only possible problem I see is with getting pressure from the OLB and that is a result of the two massive injuries we suffered in the first game combined with less severe injuries to Jennings and Evans. Against Arkansas Evans looked like what I expected him to look like this year. Hopefully he continues to progress as he gets further away from his injury.

I think the defensive line has aquitted themselves quite well this year. That was the one area where depth was a concern and it was a given that some guys who hadn't played before or had had lesser roles were going to have to step up this year. I've been very happy with Davis, Frazier, Dwight, and Buggs. I'm also liking the young guys as they grow into their roles this year.

I also agree with many of the posters that the secondary has been very good this year. I know we don't have the NOTs but to some extent last year was an anamoly. I can't imagine how spoiled we sound complaining that we only have 10 interceptions but not as many NOTs as the year before, Bama problems indeed.

I also am very happy with Pruitt and the way he runs the defense. I loved Kirby too when he was here but I felt he ran a more reactionary defense rather than an attacking defense. We struggled mightily against Johnny Football but LSU seemed to shut him down each year. I believe that was because we had a reactionary defense and LSU played a style more like what we do now. I always thought we should let our superior athletes loose to make plays and they'd eventually overwhelm the other team. I think this style is why we've seemed to have more big plays on defense. In the modern era of football I think it is too much to ask for the defense to stop every play, the defense has to make some plays that set the offense back or turns the offense over. I think Coach Saban recognized this as well and has changed with the times.

As a previous poster said credit also has to be given to Coach Saban and Coach Cochran for realizing the changing nature of the game and the body types that are needed now to defend against college offenses. It seems you want as many hybrid type players as possible. I think Mark Barron would have been fun to see in this defense, he kind of defines that hyrbrid type position for me. He now plays LB in the NFL because he's not fast enough to be a DB but he hits wayyy above his weight and can handle the run game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban and the University need to do everything they can to keep Jeremy Pruitt. I really like him and his schemes he uses for defense. He is also a great recruiter. I know he wants to be a head coach someday, but hopefully he will stay for at least 5 more years :) When he leaves, I am afraid it may hurt our recruiting and our play for a season or so.
Since when we've been hurt by our recruiting? Everything starts and ends with Coach Saban. We lost Billy Napier, he was real good recruiter, so was Bo Davis.. and we're still okay. Secondly, We have a DC coach in waiting on the staff.. I think you know who... We'll be fine if Pruitt leaves.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The fact Kirby prefers a more bend but don't break mold of defense with bigger guys across the front is why I think we're in a favorable matchup against UGA if we see them this season.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Since when we've been hurt by our recruiting? Everything starts and ends with Coach Saban. We lost Billy Napier, he was real good recruiter, so was Bo Davis.. and we're still okay. Secondly, We have a DC coach in waiting on the staff.. I think you know who... We'll be fine if Pruitt leaves.
This ^^^ Seriously - How many of the guys who came here in 2007 with Coach Saban are still here?
Burton Burns? Scott Cochran? And......?

We've replaced almost every position on the staff - some positions MULTIPLE Times. When Pruitt leaves Coach Saban will hire another very good DC.

What's going to hurt is when we have to replace Coach Saban...... Hopefully not for another 5-6++ years....

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If Kirby Smart continues having success at Georgia after being CNS defensive coordinator for years, I think that could be a strong argument to all of Saban's assistants. Stay here for a few years and I will show you how to run a successful program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.