Opinions on our defense

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wallace has awesome stats primarily because no one wants to challenge Averett after last season, so they throw at Wallace. But Wallace is playing so well that Averett may start to see some passes come his way. The reality - your secondary is freakishly good. But fans will still get upset when one gets beat on a play.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I dont think I'm being harsh toward Marlon. He almost never turned his head anytime they threw his ball his way. He was very good CB, but that was his only knock Levi Wallace is very good sound player who does things the right way. Doesn't matter who's 5 star or walk on. His play this season is better than Marlon last year due to his stats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Levi definitely has better stats this year and has played extremely well, but I'm not sure it's apples to apples. I seem to recall that in some game last year, we'd shift the CBs from side-to-side to match MH up on the other teams best receiver. I don't think we are doing that very much this year, and if we are, we're putting Averett or Minkah on the best receiver and LW on the #2 or #3 depending on alignment (inside v outside). Those matchups alone can shift the stats a lot. Taking nothing away from Levi though; he's been an excellent surprise and with his technique I hope he runs/tests well enough to get a chance at the next level.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Wallace has awesome stats primarily because no one wants to challenge Averett after last season, so they throw at Wallace. But Wallace is playing so well that Averett may start to see some passes come his way. The reality - your secondary is freakishly good. But fans will still get upset when one gets beat on a play.
I thought the stats take into account the performance given balls thrown his way so just more throws at Wallace wouldn't improve his stats.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I thought the stats take into account the performance given balls thrown his way so just more throws at Wallace wouldn't improve his stats.
The more that they throw at you, the better you get and the better the averages look. As an exam[le, if they throw at Averett 5 times/game, and all of those are bombs, and they connect once, Averett doesn't look nearly as good as Wallace while he may be defending their best receiver on routes a lot tougher to defend. But because Averett and Minkah are out there, Wallace has to defend a ton of other stuff - much f it much easier to defend.

Wallace has been a real star, and I am taking nothing away from him, but stats like this are not the only thing to consider.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The more that they throw at you, the better you get and the better the averages look. As an exam[le, if they throw at Averett 5 times/game, and all of those are bombs, and they connect once, Averett doesn't look nearly as good as Wallace while he may be defending their best receiver on routes a lot tougher to defend. But because Averett and Minkah are out there, Wallace has to defend a ton of other stuff - much f it much easier to defend.

Wallace has been a real star, and I am taking nothing away from him, but stats like this are not the only thing to consider.
Averages, yes. PFF doesn't do averages, though. They look at each individual play, which is what day-day was referencing - I think.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I can see that, especially if his "weakness" is overall speed and if bombs ended up being pretty much the only types of passes going his way. He gets a chance to highlight his strengths with whats coming his way now which seem to be good technique and understanding of his position and the ability to react quickly.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
This year's secondary may be playing the best of any in the Saban era. What do y'all think? Is it better than the 2011 secondary?

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This year's secondary may be playing the best of any in the Saban era. What do y'all think? Is is better than the 2011 secondary?
It's definitely more talented. Probably the most talented group we have had under Saban with the exception of last years group.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This defense is starting to remind me of our 2009 defense, not so much in design but in how they are seemingly improvising every week to make up for critical injuries we have suffered. We really had no answer at outside linebacker once Miller and Lewis went down, but we have taken a sort of "gorilla" approach to defense. You never know from where the attack is going to come, and from whom. I'm sure everyone is happy we lost out two best outside rushers but at same time it has to be a little bit scary to face them knowing that you really DON'T know what they are going to do.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The more I think about this the more I think that Jeremy Pruitt is doing a fantastic job. He most certainly is not a creature of habit, and combining that, his own talent, and the talent on the roster has been a really good grouping.

Last year when we needed pressure he had two of the very best rush ends in the country to call upon and they almost always delivered. This year he has had to be much more creative, and he has. It has been impressive.

rtr

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Considering the injuries we have had we are playing really well on defense. Losing some great starters yet we still smother teams for the most part. We have given up a few big pass plays but not given up game changing plays. No one is perfect but this defense plays darn close to it. Pruitt has adjusted well to the loss of some real good starters. The back ups have stepped up, talent level still good, and as they gain game experience they will only get better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The more I think about this the more I think that Jeremy Pruitt is doing a fantastic job. He most certainly is not a creature of habit, and combining that, his own talent, and the talent on the roster has been a really good grouping.

Last year when we needed pressure he had two of the very best rush ends in the country to call upon and they almost always delivered. This year he has had to be much more creative, and he has. It has been impressive.

rtr
I was puzzled when Coach picked him up out of high school coaching, but he's made a believer out of me...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I was puzzled when Coach picked him up out of high school coaching, but he's made a believer out of me...
I agree totally. Also, I was shocked when FSU chose him to be their DC and thought he was ungrateful based on some of his comments. Well Bama's pass D was not the same (don't know how much was talent vs coaching) and FSU and UGA were successful stints for him. I think he is an upgrade over Kirby - much more aggressive in using Bama's tremendous athleticism.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.