Opinions on our defense

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Okay brainiacs, you thought it was hard to find faults on this offense, try to find some on this defense. Other than a messed up play here or there, I see no flaws on the defensive side of the ball. Alabama is known for their defenses and this one is rising up to the top. Again nothing is perfect, but I cannot find one bad thing to say about this defense.OKAY maybe they are a bit boring at times. I mean must they stuff 99% of all runs at the line or within 2 yards of the line? Also do they really have to hit those other poor teams guys so hard? In a nutshell YES. Being a lifer pulling for Bama I love some great defense. And once again I am a happy bama boy. Over the last few years people said running Qb's hurt us, not so much anymore. We have stopped all sorts of offenses.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Okay brainiacs, you thought it was hard to find faults on this offense, try to find some on this defense. Other than a messed up play here or there, I see no flaws on the defensive side of the ball. Alabama is known for their defenses and this one is rising up to the top. Again nothing is perfect, but I cannot find one bad thing to say about this defense.OKAY maybe they are a bit boring at times. I mean must they stuff 99% of all runs at the line or within 2 yards of the line? Also do they really have to hit those other poor teams guys so hard? In a nutshell YES. Being a lifer pulling for Bama I love some great defense. And once again I am a happy bama boy. Over the last few years people said running Qb's hurt us, not so much anymore. We have stopped all sorts of offenses.
Our youngun's are coming along nicely!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Our weakness is delayed passes over the middle -- especially when we blitz and it is picked up. Every d has a weakness -- I just get tired of seeing those passes completed...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Our weakness is delayed passes over the middle -- especially when we blitz and it is picked up. Every d has a weakness -- I just get tired of seeing those passes completed...
I can agree on that the underneath stuff has worked on us. But to be fair those are hard to defend, but hey Nick has one thing he can scream about LOL

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
DL- Improved.. getting better each game. Evans back really helped.
LB-Love what Mosley is doing. Suprised Keith Holcombe didn't play much. Love the rotation at LBs.
CB-Doing great job. rarely screw up plays.
Safety- Little concerned about Jones, but they're much better.

Bottom line: They're improved, but I want to see some consistency on Defense. Mack Wilson is the truth.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
DL- Improved.. getting better each game. Evans back really helped.
LB-Love what Mosley is doing. Suprised Keith Holcombe didn't play much. Love the rotation at LBs.
CB-Doing great job. rarely screw up plays.
Safety- Little concerned about Jones, but they're much better.

Bottom line: They're improved, but I want to see some consistency on Defense. Mack Wilson is the truth.
Is our best combo ( Buggs, Payne, Davis ) on the field right now? Just askin`.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The biggest area I see for improvement of production is OLB. Even with that position only having one guy on the field in nickel it's usually the group that leads the team in sacks, and they now have one sack for the year (the defensive backs have more), coming against fresno state. Losing Miller and Lewis really, really hurt and Jennings just now appears to be back to full speed. The rest of the OLBs just don't appear to have that pass rushing edge (yet, as many are young and some lack size). Thankfully pruitt was able to manufacture pressure in some other ways.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I thought we played the screen pass a little better the other night with Moseley. He recognized it and turned to defend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The growth that we have seen from the kick off against FSU up til now has been impressive. Man, if we had the depth we started with, this defense would be incredibly impressive.

Rtr

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we have done really well despite the massive number of injuries in the front seven (for games or season). We seem to be dependent on the blitz to get pressure so we're possibly at risk to a team with a solid OL and elite college QB. Considering the injury problems constantly changing the lineup, this has been a good coaching job to get kids ready to play on a moment's notice.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This defense is solid at all three levels. Honestly, I don't think there's a team in the country that wouldn't trade theirs for ours.

Picking nits, I'd say the weakness is the pass rush. Too often, we do seem to need to blitz to get heat. Not talking about sacks, but just affecting the quarterback.

Yes, we miss Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson. But who wouldn't? Maybe us if not for the season-ending injuries against FSU. But injuries are part of the game and we have what we have -- which is still the best 11 in the country.

There are 129 FBS defenses in our rear view mirror. Perfect or not, I'll take it.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Think Cole is trying to send Auburn a message if the wheel come fully off the Gus Bus? (Design was brilliant)

Our defense is looking strong. The young/new kids are really starting to step up. Pruitt is doing a great job so far.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Our weakness is at Linebacker. Our OLB and MLB continually fail to pick up RB's flaring to the outside. We will also have issues once we face a mobile QB that is able to effectively run the read option and run-pass-option. But those things can be fixed with proper reads. I won't go as far as to call out individual players, but some have more fixing than others.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama has the strongest defense, front to back, sideline to sideline, in college football. You have areas in which you could improve, but when looking at the unit in its entirety, it is as good as it gets, with crazy depth considering the injuries.

I agree with most that the weakness is at OLB. Really hope that at least one of the guys lost against FSU can return for the playoff run.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Watching Titans vs. Colts last night...Titans d in 2nd half reminded me of Bama's d . Lots of blitzing from different areas...took Brissett out of his comfort zone.

Is there a defense we would trade ours for? None that I know of...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.