CBS 60 Minutes Piece on Opioids

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Opioids kill people for sure. The problem is that there is no better alternative for many people. I live in a state where I can go out and buy the "dankest" weed available, but opioids are somehow taboo. I wish medicine would come out with an effective and safe alternative, but, so far, has not. Are people supposed to live with pharmaceutically manageable pain, because some junkie can't control himself?
How's about, one might not can be TOTALLY pain free. How about other forms of treatment? I "lived" with debilitating headaches for years because I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE MEDS. That's why I was trying the chiro. Next on the list if that hadn't helped was acupuncture. Sometimes you might have to live with pain. Buncha wuss' in this country.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The 60 minutes piece didn't go into it but if you watch the episodes of Drugs Inc on Nat Geo that cover opioids and heroin they talk to plenty of people who came into their Heroin problems through legal doctor ordered scripts. It wasn't that long ago that the drug companies had their hottie sales reps rubbing up against every doctor they could claiming that these were a "new generation of safer, less addictive pain management tools" and getting Docs to hand them out like candy. I have a bottle somewhere from a dental crown I needed a few years back (never took them as I hate them too) sitting in a drawer. I didn't need them for that. There are many stories out there of people getting hooked and then going to pain management clinics to keep supplied and then when the Government finally decided to crack down they simply cut everyone off. So what does an addict do but find a way. A lot of these folks found their way to back alley pill sellers or needles full of something. Often lately that something is a Chinese Fentanyl derivative that killing people left and right. All in, all opioids are killing around 150 people a day in the US. The only place where the trend is reversing, to a degree is legal weed states. Colorado came out this week showing a 6% drop in opioid deaths since legalization.
and i thought the demon weed was supposed to be the gateway drug

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It has been well documented on this board that I was hit by a car last year. The ER offered me drugs the whole night and I refused every time. The doctor did write a prescription that I eventually relented and filled. I took them for a few days before stopping and switching to Aleve. I had the surgery and again was given a prescription for more drugs. I took them for 2 days and again I stopped. I hate opioids. I do not like not being in control.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I have seen many folks destroy their lives with this stuff. Close friends. Family. One tried to hang themselves when their doc cut them off. Another was more successful with a bullet. This stuff is out of hand.

On another note, a friend of mine goes to a pain management clinic for his pills. Had a terrible car accident and now has a implant that pretty much electrifies his spine all the time. He wants to just mainly smoke the reefer as it calms his pain to a manageable level and he doesn't have to ingest this poison to get relief all the time, though sometimes he still needs the pills. The doc threatens to cut him off of the pills if he smokes in one breath, and then in the other tells him that 80% of his patients test positive. Doc just thinks they are junkies and doesn't understand the correlation between chronic pain and "chronic" use.

I don't really care about legalization, but this is a fair argument for it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.