CBS 60 Minutes Piece on Opioids

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I give journalists a ration of crap for lousy reporting (which generally they richly deserve), but here is a good piece of journalism. The Whistleblower.
Hat tip to CBS and especially to Bill Whitaker.
It has had an impact on public policy. Tom Merino withdraws his name from nomination for "Drug Czar."

It still is possible to do good journalism in these United States. The name "Kardashian" was not mentioned at all in this entire story.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I give journalists a ration of crap for lousy reporting (which generally they richly deserve), but here is a good piece of journalism. The Whistleblower.
It has had an impact on public policy. Tom Merino withdraws his name from nomination for "Drug Czar."

It still is possible to do good journalism in these United States. The name "Kardashian" was not mentioned at all in this entire story.
i've been seeing a lot about this issue in the past few days. i hope they keep shining a light on it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've wondered for a long time why the DEA was doing nothing about this. CBS and the Washington Post killing it here with some great reporting.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

so it got Marino, can it get Blackburn too? She is awful

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Lol my uncle is a partner at one of the law firms mentioned. I'll be interested to talk to him next time I can. He used to head their probono department and he's a pretty "save the world" kind of guy so I'm sure his thoughts will be interesting.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Opioids kill people for sure. The problem is that there is no better alternative for many people. I live in a state where I can go out and buy the "dankest" weed available, but opioids are somehow taboo. I wish medicine would come out with an effective and safe alternative, but, so far, has not. Are people supposed to live with pharmaceutically manageable pain, because some junkie can't control himself?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Opioids kill people for sure. The problem is that there is no better alternative for many people. I live in a state where I can go out and buy the "dankest" weed available, but opioids are somehow taboo. I wish medicine would come out with an effective and safe alternative, but, so far, has not. Are people supposed to live with pharmaceutically manageable pain, because some junkie can't control himself?
I've taken opioids myself and while I find them mildly effective, they also cause the side effect of, shall we say, "plugging me up," so I am always reluctant to take them.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Very frustrating. The mantra now is no more than a week, even after surgery - or for terminal illness like cancer.

The pendulum had swung fast and hard. Extremist and reactionaries have a difficult time finding a happy medium, it seems.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
agreed. thing is, it's not just junkies that are taking too many opioids. they are highly addictive and there are quite a few "normal" folks who get hooked on them during the course of normal pain management and i would hesitate to call them junkies. iirc, oxycontin and other types of these opioids were originally marketed as not being addictive.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Very frustrating. The mantra now is no more than a week, even after surgery - or for terminal illness like cancer.

The pendulum had swung fast and hard. Extremist and reactionaries have a difficult time finding a happy medium, it seems.
when i had my brain surgery a couple of years back, the neurosurgeon gave me a huge prescription and said take whatever you need for the next 3-4 weeks and if needed come back for more. i was a little surprised, but I guess that was also due to the nature of the surgery. lucky for me, i can't stand the effect they have on me (cloggage and feeling like i am hungover all of the time) so i was weaning myself off of them as quickly as i could

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
agreed. thing is, it's not just junkies that are taking too many opioids. they are highly addictive and there are quite a few "normal" folks who get hooked on them during the course of normal pain management and i would hesitate to call them junkies. iirc, oxycontin and other types of these opioids were originally marketed as not being addictive.
The 60 minutes piece didn't go into it but if you watch the episodes of Drugs Inc on Nat Geo that cover opioids and heroin they talk to plenty of people who came into their Heroin problems through legal doctor ordered scripts. It wasn't that long ago that the drug companies had their hottie sales reps rubbing up against every doctor they could claiming that these were a "new generation of safer, less addictive pain management tools" and getting Docs to hand them out like candy. I have a bottle somewhere from a dental crown I needed a few years back (never took them as I hate them too) sitting in a drawer. I didn't need them for that. There are many stories out there of people getting hooked and then going to pain management clinics to keep supplied and then when the Government finally decided to crack down they simply cut everyone off. So what does an addict do but find a way. A lot of these folks found their way to back alley pill sellers or needles full of something. Often lately that something is a Chinese Fentanyl derivative that killing people left and right. All in, all opioids are killing around 150 people a day in the US. The only place where the trend is reversing, to a degree is legal weed states. Colorado came out this week showing a 6% drop in opioid deaths since legalization.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Shoot, I bet the pain doc down the hall from the chiropractor I was using dished out 9mil a week! Every day I went down that hall, there were people lining the hall waiting to get their 'scripts. It was really sad.
I've mentioned my buddy who was hooked as well. He's finally clean, but he said it was so easy to get them. They need to put these pain docs out of business.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This link shows fairly recent data on death by drug overdose in 22 states. Even though opioid deaths may have dropped in some states, drug overdose deaths seem have risen in almost all of the states shown. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/health_policy/monthly-drug-overdose-death-estimates.pdf

2016 was a record year for Colorado in drug overdose death rate. Some of the speculation is that opioid users switched to herion due to the crackdown on opioid prescriptions. Deaths due to heroin increased; deaths due to opioids dropped.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.