CFN Article - What if Bama and UGA both go 12-0?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Unless it is Alabama, of course. See 2011.
That's true, because we have the best team even if we lose a game :)

Frankly, I do not see Auburn dropping both UGA and Bama games at home. My hope is they knock off the dawgs because barney will be putting all of their season of emotion on the line against us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Decided by BCS computers not the playoff committee of course..
The playoff committee put in OSU over Penn State last year. You may not agree with that decision, but it made one thing clear - conference champions are not getting in over more qualified teams.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Well they would stay #1 and #2 and loser of SECCG if it is close would still deserve a NC shot. Look back when we barely beat UGA in SECCG then walked through the playoff killing ND. NO way UGA was not second best team that year. Playoff committee would be in tight spot, but the point is to get the best 4 teams, if loser of close SECCG is better than the other leftovers do it, if not then don't. We just need to win out and let them worry about 1 loss get ins LOL

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
That's true, because we have the best team even if we lose a game :)

Frankly, I do not see Auburn dropping both UGA and Bama games at home. My hope is they knock off the dawgs because barney will be putting all of their season of emotion on the line against us.
Not sure why, after seeing some auburn games, mercer, lsu, I am not sure they have the stones for bama or uga right now.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Unless it is Alabama, of course. See 2011.
Yeah, I've heard about 2011.

Three differences:

1) Alabama lost to LSU in the regular season, not the last game of the season just prior to the NC or playoff game, and all Okie State had to do was not lose to Iowa State to make it in.

2) The loss was a 3 point overtime loss in a game where Alabama had out-gained and out-played LSU, but the kicker missed 5 FGs and the refs ruled a contentious TD pass an interception.

3) It was a 2 team BCS format, not a 4 team playoff.

Lastly, if the BCS roulette wheel had landed with OSU #2 and Bama #3, I personally would not have complained, and Alabama would have had no real reason to call foul- we lost to LSU already and therefore didn't even win the division. We had our shot and we messed it up. Thing was, OSU lost to such a pathetic team vs Alabama's loss to the #1 team, the OSU loss was just too bad to overlook.

The way the playoff is set up now, the conference championships basically set up as a play-in game between the major conferences. To ignore one team's loss to a playoff-bound team in the conference title game is to completely invalidate that game. We might as well be playing basketball where teams rest their starters for the conference championship tournament to save them for the NCAA tournament.

I guess what I am saying is, some very special stars had to align for 2011 Alabama to get a rematch with LSU. These are not the same stars as giving any old conference championship loser a re-do just because they have 1 loss, especially when other 1-loss, conference champ teams are out there.

PS-why do I have to add extra spaces between lines now to get one space between lines...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I've heard about 2011.

Three differences:

1) Alabama lost to LSU in the regular season, not the last game of the season just prior to the NC or playoff game, and all Okie State had to do was not lose to Iowa State to make it in.

2) The loss was a 3 point overtime loss in a game where Alabama had out-gained and out-played LSU, but the kicker missed 5 FGs and the refs ruled a contentious TD pass an interception.

3) It was a 2 team BCS format, not a 4 team playoff.

Lastly, if the BCS roulette wheel had landed with OSU #2 and Bama #3, I personally would not have complained, and Alabama would have had no real reason to call foul- we lost to LSU already and therefore didn't even win the division. We had our shot and we messed it up. Thing was, OSU lost to such a pathetic team vs Alabama's loss to the #1 team, the OSU loss was just too bad to overlook.

The way the playoff is set up now, the conference championships basically set up as a play-in game between the major conferences. To ignore one team's loss to a playoff-bound team in the conference title game is to completely invalidate that game. We might as well be playing basketball where teams rest their starters for the conference championship tournament to save them for the NCAA tournament.

I guess what I am saying is, some very special stars had to align for 2011 Alabama to get a rematch with LSU. These are not the same stars as giving any old conference championship loser a re-do just because they have 1 loss, especially when other 1-loss, conference champ teams are out there.

PS-why do I have to add extra spaces between lines now to get one space between lines...
You are applying some special significance to the conference championship game that really doesn't exist. Why should one game in the season matter any more than another. It is just another game when you have a playoff.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The playoff committee put in OSU over Penn State last year. You may not agree with that decision, but it made one thing clear - conference champions are not getting in over more qualified teams.
Penn St had 2 losses last year. Completely different scenario. There's no way they'd put in a 1 loss team who didn't win their conference over another 1 loss conference champion..

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You are applying some special significance to the conference championship game that really doesn't exist. Why should one game in the season matter any more than another. It is just another game when you have a playoff.
That is what I am saying. Your playoff, applied in this manner, turns the conference championship into a meaningless game. If the conference championship has no value then why the hell are we playing it. The injuries we sustained playing a sacrificial Florida team last year arguably cost Alabama the National Title game. If the conference championship games are just "one more game" that some teams have to play while others don't and are not factored into playoff selection, then we need to scratch this thing, asap. Just give the "conference champs" title to the team with the best record. If we are going to play them, they need to matter.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not a fan really. If Alabama and UGA go undefeated, then meet in the SECC, and one loses- well you just lost to the team going to the playoff. Good season, go home, go to your New Years bowl. If they both go to the playoff there was literally no point in the two teams playing one game prior. It is an immediate mulligan. Double elimination for one team, the other team gets no credit for the win.
I think my issue with this thought process is that not every team plays a conference championship game against a playoff team. Why does losing a close game to a playoff team disqualify you while winning a game against a non playoff team mean you are in?

Personally, I see the conference championship as a tie breaker not necessarily the key component. Give me a 1 loss Georgia team with a win over an otherwise undefeated ND over any 2 loss conference champ or a 1 loss conference champ like Washington who will have no good ooc wins.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is what I am saying. Your playoff, applied in this manner, turns the conference championship into a meaningless game.
It is not meaningless - it just has no more significance than any other game. Its only special significance is that it takes place on the last week of play. That is it.

And all P5 conferences play them now.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think my issue with this thought process is that not every team plays a conference championship game against a playoff team. Why does losing a close game to a playoff team disqualify you while winning a game against a non playoff team mean you are in?

Personally, I see the conference championship as a tie breaker not necessarily the key component. Give me a 1 loss Georgia team with a win over an otherwise undefeated ND over any 2 loss conference champ or a 1 loss conference champ like Washington who will have no good ooc wins.
It holds value when you are just going to pit the team that lost the conference championship game against the team that just beat them in the very next game. We just played this game, why are we playing it again in two weeks? Do head to head wins count or not? It is needless deja vu because frankly in college football there are seldom more than 2 teams who should be playing for the title in the first place, and now you are just scrambling to fill game slots with teams who already played themselves out of contention.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It is not meaningless - it just has no more significance than any other game. Its only special significance is that it takes place on the last week of play. That is it.

And all P5 conferences play them now.
It is completely meaningless if the team that loses still gets to play in the next round of games based on perception compared to some other team they have never played.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is completely meaningless if the team that loses still gets to play in the next round of games based on perception compared to some other team they have never played.
Is the GA/ND game totally meaningless if ND makes the playoffs at 11-1 and GA does not after losing to Alabama with a final record of 12-1?

Every game matters - not just 5 games/year.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Not a fan really. If Alabama and UGA go undefeated, then meet in the SECC, and one loses- well you just lost to the team going to the playoff. Good season, go home, go to your New Years bowl. If they both go to the playoff there was literally no point in the two teams playing one game prior. It is an immediate mulligan. Double elimination for one team, the other team gets no credit for the win.
I completely understand where you are coming from here. However, are you telling me a Clemson team who lost to Syracuse, an Oklahoma team who lost to Iowa St, or any other one loss team would be more deserving than Alabama to get into the playoffs who would have just lost to the new #1 and undefeated team in the country? That would be the best loss of any other one loss team and it would have been to an undefeated team. Of course Alabama would deserve a spot over any other 1 loss team. Who cares when the game was played.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Rule Number 1 - the committee has CLEARLY valued WINS over LOSSES

That point is indisputable. Just look at Ohio State 2014 and 2016.

Blue bloods sort of get a mulligan but it's dependent upon other factors. Ohio St was a better team in 2015 than 2016 in my view but they had the misfortune of playing in a conference where an unbeaten and a one-loss team met in the title game, guaranteeing they were not going to the big dance.

Oklahoma's loss in 2015 to Texas was terrible, but they made the playoff.

Rule Number 2 - almost nobody on Tidefans speaking defiantly about selection really knows what they're talking about

I've seen the posts now for five years - "the only reason for the playoff is to keep 2 SEC teams out" and something about a "conference champion requirement." Well that went by the wayside last year because nobody really knew what they were talking about. In a world where UGA goes unbeaten but loses the SECCG, esp a close one, I think they can get in because they'd have beaten some pretty decent foes (N Dame on road, Tech, Auburn on road, Florida)....ironically, we may have a tougher route losing than UGA because FSU has turned out to be....not so good.

The addition of two spots automatically INCREASED the odds of two teams making it. This is simple math and logic, I don't know why fans have taken that dogmatic stance from day one.

Rule Number 3 - it's too damned early for anyone to worry about.

Let's take a look.....

October 17, 2005 (first BCS rankings)
1) USC
2) Texas
3) Va Tech
4) UGA
5) Alabama
6) LSU (one loss)
7) Texas Tech
8) Miami (one loss)
9) UCLA

(Seven unbeaten teams for two spots....and Alabama fans saying, "But if we win out, we're on the outside looking in because we began the year too low!!!" It didn't matter....)

Indeed, the only REAL problem we would have ever had with the BCS and four teams was 2009, when five teams finished the season unbeaten.

Can you imagine the stink that would have come up when the committee selected one-loss Florida over either TCU, Boise St, or Cincinnati?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Is the GA/ND game totally meaningless if ND makes the playoffs at 11-1 and GA does not after losing to Alabama with a final record of 12-1?

Every game matters - not just 5 games/year.
👆🏼This is exactly my point. 1 loss is one loss and the best one loss counts for more no matter when the loss occured.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Here's the thing.....

Looking at the Top 20 as of today -- we can take out:

UCF and USF -- so we are down to 18.....

Of the remaining 18:

SEC 2 - Bama/UGA
B1G 5 - PSU/Wisc/tOSU/MichSt/Mich
ACC 4 - Clemson/Miami/NCState/VaTech
B12 3 - OU/OkState/TCU
PAC 2 - USCw/Washington
IND - ND

Bold teams are Undefeated

TCU gets OU and probably OU again (or OkState)
Wisc gets Michigan and Penn State
Miami gets Va Tech/Notre Dame/ACCCG (clemson)
Penn State gets Michigan/Mich State/Ohio State/Wisconsin

If just two of these teams get at least one loss -- and you have #1 vs #2 in the SECCG -- both undefeated -- I'm not sure you can keep the other one out of the top 4....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.