CFN Article - What if Bama and UGA both go 12-0?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
They lost the NC to LSU though.

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that in the very specific instance of two potential playoff teams playing each other in the first post-regular-season game before the playoff selection, if one loses to the other, I think that carries a lot of weight.

Say Team A is ranked #1, team B is #2, team C 3, team D 4:

Team A & C play each other for the conference title. Team A wins. Next game. Team A & C play in the semifinal game to see which team is better and more deserving of the NC? We just did that. It just doesn't make sense to me. IMO, the only reason you are including team C in the playoff is because you can't think of any other team to invite, but you already agreed to play two semifinal games so you have to invite them anyways even though you just found out that team A is the more deserving team. IDK. While I enjoy the more meaningful New Years bowls that the playoff creates, as in the playoff games, I don't think the playoff is really doing anything meaningful in deciding the best team. It is always the two clearly top teams and two teams thrown in there because the other two need opponents.
I admit that the optics and entertainment build up in this scenario would be annoying. But, I still rather watch part II of a good game than see a blow out or another Big 10 team get shutout

That's a good point though I do think Ohio St's schedule last year is much tougher than UGA's this year. With the SEC being down, by the end of the year UGA will probably have beaten only 1 ranked team in the committee's final top 25 which would be Notre Dame. Of course that doesn't change the fact that Washington's schedule is pillow soft. I still think if it came down to it that PAC12 champion Washington or USCw would get in over 1 loss UGA. Would be an interesting debate for sure..
The UGA win over Notre Dame would carry a lot of weight. The funny thing will be when this scenario plays out but Notre Dame gets the 4th slot (along with Alabama, Big 12 winner and ACC winner) leaving UGA and Washington fans grumbling.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Would be an interesting debate for sure..
Judging by this thread, it already is an interesting debate. :)

While I enjoy the more meaningful New Years bowls that the playoff creates, as in the playoff games, I don't think the playoff is really doing anything meaningful in deciding the best team. It is always the two clearly top teams and two teams thrown in there because the other two need opponents.
This is an interesting point to make, because my argument all along was that I felt the BCS was better for a variety of reasons. So, part of your explanation evokes a response, yeah well I didn't want this to happen in the first place! I think it was dangerous to mess with the bowls more, the post season more, all that tradition. College football is special, and last year we saw for the first time in recent memory major stars intentionally sitting out bowl games (which I believe the playoffs have devalued further). So, I ask sincerely if this was all worth it. But here we are now, and I do think in order to preserve the integrity of the process, to do it right, they just have to choose the 4 most deserving. Not the 4 most entertaining matchups, or the 4 hottest teams, or any of that. This is about doing the right thing, and the right thing is to choose the 4 teams that deserve it. If this is a rematch, or what ever, you still have to do it. I shudder at the thought of a committee that chooses matchups for other reasons.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Working under the assumption one team goes 13-0 and the other goes 12-1, how do you seed UA and UGA in the playoff? Clemson jumped Ohio State last year after winning the ACC. The only team that I see that could be #1 other than UA and UGA would be Penn State.

If they're the only two remaining undefeated teams, do you seed them #1 and #4 after the SECCG? Or does the loser only drop to #3.
IMO, and this is just my assumption of what the committee would do, the conference loser gets seeded where they have to play the conference winner for the semi. They are there by grace alone and would be lined up to prove they are better than the team that beat them. So if Bama beats UGA, Bama #1, UGA #4. If UGA beats Bama, and for some reason PSU gets placed #1, then UGA #2 and Bama #3. Who knows though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Working under the assumption one team goes 13-0 and the other goes 12-1, how do you seed UA and UGA in the playoff? Clemson jumped Ohio State last year after winning the ACC. The only team that I see that could be #1 other than UA and UGA would be Penn State.

If they're the only two remaining undefeated teams, do you seed them #1 and #4 after the SECCG? Or does the loser only drop to #3.
I would drop the loser to #3 to avoid a first round rematch, but that assumes that the game is close. If Alabama and GA are both 12-0 going into the game but GA gets smoked by Alabama, they only make the playoff if some really weird stuff happens (lots of 2 loss conference champions, including ND). Not sure what would happen if GA beat Alabama by 20 points. It has been 10 years since Alabama lost in that manner. But I suspect that your play over the last 10 years gets you in unless you really collapse against GA.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.