CFN Article - What if Bama and UGA both go 12-0?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But not really. Ohio State got in over Penn State last year despite Penn State winning the conference and winning head to head. If they weighted a conference championship all that highly then there is no question Penn State would have been in.
Again - Penn State had 2 losses. Ohio State had one.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Right. So they weigh number of losses more heavily than conference championships.
Wrong. Conference championships never came into play because the two teams weren't comparable. 2 loss is not comparable to 1 loss in the eyes of the committee..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Wrong. Conference championships never came into play because the two teams weren't comparable. 2 loss is not comparable to 1 loss in the eyes of the committee..
You are saying having 2 losses makes them not comparable which would mean you way losses higher. How is that wrong? That's literally what you are saying.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right. So they weigh number of losses more heavily than conference championships.

You are saying having 2 losses makes them not comparable which would mean you way losses higher. How is that wrong? That's literally what you are saying.
I mean... I guess you can interpret it that way, but it's pretty much a given/understood the teams with the least amount of losses are higher on the board.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I mean... I guess you can interpret it that way, but it's pretty much a given/understood the teams with the least amount of losses are higher on the board.
Lol all I was responding to was someone that said "Yeah, was going to say, thats a bit like saying number of wins isn't heavily weighted, but all the teams chosen have one or no losses..."

Edit: I just meant to point out that the comparison was inaccurate. Clearly losses are heavily weighted but when it comes to conference championships it depends on other factors.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Perception, my friend, is a quirky thing. You can bet that the Auburn game will not only be a tough out for us but probably our most difficult game all season...same is true for dawgs.
IMO, if Bama plays its A game AU has no chance whatsoever, if Bama plays its B game it will most likely be a win. AU is OK, Bama is elite and will rightly be a double digit favorite.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
IMO, if Bama plays its A game AU has no chance whatsoever, if Bama plays its B game it will most likely be a win. AU is OK, Bama is elite and will rightly be a double digit favorite.
I can dig what you are saying and I certainly am no luver of the lil bro team down south. BUT, from what I have seen on the field this year and the knowledge of home games in West Georgia I can tell you stats and record books are out. We will get all we want from them and, double digit favorites or not, our B game loses the contest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think you're missing the point IRT how the playoff committee views conference championships. They are not a be all end all but used as a differentiation factor when all other things are equal or comparable. From the playoff committee website:

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head-to-head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie -breaker; apply specific guidelines)

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

Championships won
•Strength of schedule
•Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
•Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar.

Winning a conference championship is not just another game. It holds significant weight with the committee..
I still think to have two or more teams from one conference in the 4 team playoff there have to be either very weak 2 loss teams or a bunch of 3 loss champs. While tosu didn’t win their conference there was still 4 different conferences represented.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think you're missing the point IRT how the playoff committee views conference championships. They are not a be all end all but used as a differentiation factor when all other things are equal or comparable. From the playoff committee website:

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head-to-head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie -breaker; apply specific guidelines)

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

Championships won
•Strength of schedule
•Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)
•Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar.

Winning a conference championship is not just another game. It holds significant weight with the committee..
Let's see.....Penn State BEAT Ohio State head to head (that's one) and they won the B1G (that's two)......Ohio State SOS (6 vs 34) favors the Buckeyes SUBSTANTIALLY.......comparative outcomes

Rutgers - Ohio State by 58, Penn State by 39
Indiana - Ohio State by 21, PSU by 14
Michigan - Ohio State by 3, Penn State LOST by 39
Wisky - both teams beat by 7
Mich St - Ohio State by 1, PSU by 33

Ohio State 5-0, PSU 4-1

It seems to me the conference title game ONLY holds "significant weight" with the committee if it involves two teams with the same record.......

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
Yeah, I've heard about 2011.

Three differences:

1) Alabama lost to LSU in the regular season, not the last game of the season just prior to the NC or playoff game, and all Okie State had to do was not lose to Iowa State to make it in.

2) The loss was a 3 point overtime loss in a game where Alabama had out-gained and out-played LSU, but the kicker missed 5 FGs and the refs ruled a contentious TD pass an interception.

3) It was a 2 team BCS format, not a 4 team playoff.

Lastly, if the BCS roulette wheel had landed with OSU #2 and Bama #3, I personally would not have complained, and Alabama would have had no real reason to call foul- we lost to LSU already and therefore didn't even win the division. We had our shot and we messed it up. Thing was, OSU lost to such a pathetic team vs Alabama's loss to the #1 team, the OSU loss was just too bad to overlook.

The way the playoff is set up now, the conference championships basically set up as a play-in game between the major conferences. To ignore one team's loss to a playoff-bound team in the conference title game is to completely invalidate that game. We might as well be playing basketball where teams rest their starters for the conference championship tournament to save them for the NCAA tournament.

I guess what I am saying is, some very special stars had to align for 2011 Alabama to get a rematch with LSU. These are not the same stars as giving any old conference championship loser a re-do just because they have 1 loss, especially when other 1-loss, conference champ teams are out there.

PS-why do I have to add extra spaces between lines now to get one space between lines...
The conference championship game determines the conference champion. The end.

The committee's primary consideration is to get the best 4 teams in the playoff.

They are not related other than the championship game contributes to each teams' resume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The conference championship game determines the conference champion. The end.

The committee's primary consideration is to get the best 4 teams in the playoff.

They are not related other than the championship game contributes to each teams' resume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
The problem is there is no real explanation on whether they are picking between most “deserving” or “best”. Tosu has been a team of controversy in all three years.

2014: TCU entered with a better SOS but tosu was chosen over TCU

2015: Oklahoma and tOSU finished with the same record. Oklahoma had the worst loss, but got the nod over the defending champ

2016: a non champion tOSU gets the nod over PSU.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have not read all 8 pages, but IMO if Alabama and UGA are both undefeated going into the SECC Game the winner is in and the loser gets a New Year's Day bowl game. Do not believe the selection committee is interested in putting two teams from any conference into the playoffs, especially one that would be a rematch. I realize there are numerous scenarios out there, but a one loss conference champion and, probably a one loss Notre Dame, would get in before a one loss conference runner up.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I have not read all 8 pages, but IMO if Alabama and UGA are both undefeated going into the SECC Game the winner is in and the loser gets a New Year's Day bowl game. Do not believe the selection committee is interested in putting two teams from any conference into the playoffs, especially one that would be a rematch. I realize there are numerous scenarios out there, but a one loss conference champion and, probably a one loss Notre Dame, would get in before a one loss conference runner up.
I agree. Just like in the BCS era the SEC championship game becomes a defacto play in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I can dig what you are saying and I certainly am no luver of the lil bro team down south. BUT, from what I have seen on the field this year and the knowledge of home games in West Georgia I can tell you stats and record books are out. We will get all we want from them and, double digit favorites or not, our B game loses the contest.
Since this off topic, I will try to restrain myself to this post :). First, my comments have nothing to do with my "love" or not for AU, it's just about facts as I see them. For the most part, the favorite almost always wins this game, especially a big or double digit favorite. The only exception I remember since the 60's is 1972, even then AU was a top 10 team. The few lesser upsets have been reasonable. I.e., it's a myth that you can "throw the record books out" in this series. Bama is 7 of 9 against AU and 3 of 4 at J-H. The only 2 AU wins were as the number 2 and 4 ranked teams in the country. Bama can certainly lose this game, but as things stand at this point, it would be out of character for this series.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since this off topic, I will try to restrain myself to this post :). First, my comments have nothing to do with my "love" or not for AU, it's just about facts as I see them. For the most part, the favorite almost always wins this game, especially a big or double digit favorite. The only exception I remember since the 60's is 1972, even then AU was a top 10 team. The few lesser upsets have been reasonable. I.e., it's a myth that you can "throw the record books out" in this series. Bama is 7 of 9 against AU and 3 of 4 at J-H. The only 2 AU wins were as the number 2 and 4 ranked teams in the country. Bama can certainly lose this game, but as things stand at this point, it would be out of character for this series.
You forgot 1984. Probably the only true upset

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I'm in the camp of not wanting two SEC teams in the playoff. I just wouldn't want a scenario where Bama would have to beat Ga twice in 4 weeks.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.