CFN Article - What if Bama and UGA both go 12-0?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017...ten-college-football-playoff-sec-championship

Obviously, there’s still a ton of work to do. Georgia has to deal with a desperate Florida in two weeks, and then South Carolina, and then go to Auburn, and then host Kentucky and Georgia Tech to close things out.

Alabama has to go through the bother of beating Tennessee, then it gets a suddenly-angry LSU, at Mississippi State, Mercer, and then finish up at Auburn.

But the difficult remaining schedules are a positive. If both teams get through them unbeaten, that’s it. As long as there isn’t a total wipeout in the SEC Championship, both teams will probably get in.

And even if there is an acceptable loss along the way. If the 11-1 team beats the 12-0 team in the SEC Championship, the committee would still have an interesting debate to have, considering the ACC, Big 12, and Pac-12 champion will likely be seen as slightly lesser than the SEC title game loser.

There it is for you, Alabama and Georgia. Of course you want to play for the SEC title, and of course you want to win it. But you’re each probably five wins away from getting in the tournament.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is actually doable: If we make it to SEC Championship 12-0 and meet in SEC Championship... The game has to be close going into 4th quarter for both team to have a chance to make it in CFB playoff. A SEC 1 loss team can make it in over several teams so it is doable.

Second scenario- If Bama goes undefeated and Georgia lose 1 game and then Georgia beats Bama... Both still get in.

Either can work. But it really depends on OSU, Penn State, and Clemson losing a game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is why I prefer the CFP over the BCS. There is a very real chance that this plays out, and if it does both go to the CFP. Even ND probably would not upset this apple cart since they lost to GA.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Would need the ACC champion and PAC-12 champion to both have 2 losses. I just don't see a 1 loss team whose not a conference champion getting in over a 1 loss conference champion.

Hypotheticals aside, it's very likely UGA will drop at least 1 game this season. I think Georgia Tech and AU have the best chance to beat them. Florida and South Carolina have a small chance as well..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would need the ACC champion and PAC-12 champion to both have 2 losses. I just don't see a 1 loss team whose not a conference champion getting in over a 1 loss conference champion.

Hypotheticals aside, it's very likely UGA will drop at least 1 game this season. I think Georgia Tech and AU have the best chance to beat them. Florida and South Carolina have a small chance as well..
Depends on a lot of things, like is ND a one loss team? That actually helps GA and hurts the other conferences.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is actually doable: If we make it to SEC Championship 12-0 and meet in SEC Championship... The game has to be close going into 4th quarter for both team to have a chance to make it in CFB playoff. A SEC 1 loss team can make it in over several teams so it is doable.

Second scenario- If Bama goes undefeated and Georgia lose 1 game and then Georgia beats Bama... Both still get in.

Either can work. But it really depends on OSU, Penn State, and Clemson losing a game.
Basically 0% chance of that happening IF all the other conference champions have only 1 loss. Say Oklahoma wins the BIG12, Clemson wins the ACC and Ohio State wins the B1G - none of those teams are getting left out for a 1 loss Bama who didn't win the SEC. By the end of the year we probably aren't going to have a single team on our schedule ranked in the committee's top 25..

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It depends on how the other conferences play out but right now I think there's a very good chance that the loser of a 12-0 vs 12-0 Alabama Georgia SEC title game gets in. The Pac-12 champion will more than likely have two losses and personally I suspect the Big XII Winner will too... B1G is pretty well situated, I'd assume they're going to get in barring a bunch of round robin upsets.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Depends on a lot of things, like is ND a one loss team? That actually helps GA and hurts the other conferences.
ND being a one loss team doesn't change the scenario IMO. I'd be shocked if a 1 loss team who wasn't a conference champion got in over another 1 loss conference champion..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There are so many variables to consider with 6-7 games left to be played.

Remember, the Big 12 has a championship game this year, so TCU could go undefeated and still have to beat OU or OSU a second time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
ND being a one loss team doesn't change the scenario IMO. I'd be shocked if a 1 loss team who wasn't a conference champion got in over another 1 loss conference champion..
You are just assuming that the committee has some sort of directive that they do not have.

A one loss ND team would have many wins against ACC and it would have beaten USC, Michigan State and Stanford. In other words, ND would look better than most other conference champions other than the SEC. Way better.

Their only loss would be to GA. So a one loss GA team gets in ahead of them, and they get in ahead of ACC and PAC winners. A one loss ND team hurts every conference other than the SEC (and TCU, but only it they go undefeated)

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think a one loss Notre Dame team is almost a lock to get in over a 1 loss non-blueblood conference champ. Like, TCU over Notre Dame? No way. Committee won't admit it, but this is a business guys.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The crazies scenario I can think of is if Georgia and Alabama win out and Georgia loses a close one in the SECCG. Notre Dame wins out which would include wins over USC, NC State, Miami, and Stanford. Then a 1 loss(to ND) Miami wins the ACC. Let's also assume the Pac 12 winner is a 2 loss USC, the winner of the Big 10 is a 1 loss team and the winner of the Big 12 is a 2 loss team.

Basically, in this situation the top contenders would be as follows (no order)

Alabama 13-0 - conference champs
Georgia 12-1 - 1 loss in a close game to the #1 undefeated team. Plus a great win over ND
Notre Dame - Wins over 2 conference champs(Miami and USC). 1 loss by 1 point to a 1 loss Georgia
Miami - 1 loss in to Notre Dame and conference champs
1 loss Big 10 winner - Conference champs and if this is Ohio State their one loss would be to a possible conference champion in OU at home.

Who gets in here because I have no idea.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Not a fan really. If Alabama and UGA go undefeated, then meet in the SECC, and one loses- well you just lost to the team going to the playoff. Good season, go home, go to your New Years bowl. If they both go to the playoff there was literally no point in the two teams playing one game prior. It is an immediate mulligan. Double elimination for one team, the other team gets no credit for the win.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With next few games coming up:
I'm going to focus on Undefeated teams with potential tough games this year.

Penn State- Tough games against Ohio State, Michigan.
TCU - Iowa State and Texas.
Wisconsin - Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota
Alabama- LSU and Auburn
Georgia- Florida, Auburn, Georgia Tech
Miami- Syracuse and ND ( I will not be shocked if Miami is in top 5 at the end of the season.)

Out of those games, I actually think Three teams that are undefeated will suffer a loss between now and then. The question is who?

So I don't think It's really a virtually lock for Alabama and Georgia to get in CFB if they lose a game because of so many 1 loss teams. We need several teams to have 2 losses between now and conference championship for both to get in. If USF or UCF are undefeated at end of season... Now, that would be a hoot. That's another story for another time.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You'll be surprised. They have said that in the past they would do it if the situation warrants it.
If the situation warrants isn't just germane to the SEC. If they're deciding between a conference champion with 2 losses and another 1 loss team then it's possible for any conference to get 2 teams in. Would need the majority of conference champions to have 2 losses which hasn't happened since they started the playoff system..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
With next few games coming up:
I'm going to focus on Undefeated teams with potential tough games this year.

Penn State- Tough games against Ohio State, Michigan.
TCU - Iowa State and Texas.
Wisconsin - Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota
Alabama- LSU and Auburn
Georgia- Florida, Auburn, Georgia Tech
Miami- Syracuse and ND ( I will not be shocked if Miami is in top 5 at the end of the season.)

Out of those games, I actually think Three teams that are undefeated will suffer a loss between now and then. The question is who?

So I don't think It's really a virtually lock for Alabama and Georgia to get in CFB if they lose a game because of so many 1 loss teams. We need several teams to have 2 losses between now and conference championship for both to get in. If USF or UCF are undefeated at end of season... Now, that would be a hoot. That's another story for another time.
there is still a potential for a 1-loss kentucky to visit athens in nov to play for the east division title.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not a fan really. If Alabama and UGA go undefeated, then meet in the SECC, and one loses- well you just lost to the team going to the playoff. Good season, go home, go to your New Years bowl. If they both go to the playoff there was literally no point in the two teams playing one game prior. It is an immediate mulligan. Double elimination for one team, the other team gets no credit for the win.
Unless it is Alabama, of course. See 2011.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.