Misery Index: Louisville, Tennessee, Florida, Clemson & Washington

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alternate Title: Attention Auburn: Only YOU can save Bobby Petrino's Career.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-louisville-hits-new-low-tennessee/766170001/

You know things are bad in Louisville when Bobby Petrino is the honorable, steady hand in your athletic department.

Tennessee: What about Memphis’ Mike Norvell, SMU’s Chad Morris or Alabama-Birmingham's Bill Clark? Contrary to popular belief in Knoxville, this will not be an easy search. And unless Currie can pull a rabbit out of his hat, Vol fans need to prepare themselves for the possibility they’ll end up with a second-tier guy.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Ya know, its funny - but few believed me on my former board when I kept saying Clempson had not played anyone.

It was accepted "conventional wisdom" that FRU with Francois healthy was still a bad team (so WE had not played anyone) , and that Louisville was a great team - thus Clemp beating UL was a "Big Time Win".....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ya know, its funny - but few believed me on my former board when I kept saying Clempson had not played anyone.

It was accepted "conventional wisdom" that FRU with Francois healthy was still a bad team (so WE had not played anyone) , and that Louisville was a great team - thus Clemp beating UL was a "Big Time Win".....
But let's be real - Clemson beats Syracuse going away with Bryant healthy. Their issue is not that they had not been tested or that we knew nothing about them. Their issue is that their offense is totally dependent on their QB (as is the case with most teams).

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
But let's be real - Clemson beats Syracuse going away with Bryant healthy. Their issue is not that they had not been tested or that we knew nothing about them. Their issue is that their offense is totally dependent on their QB (as is the case with most teams).
BINGO the one bad thing about running the offense around a great QB is what happens when he goes down. Or even when he leaves, I look back at so many programs that were great then fell all because of QB. Auburn 2010 Cam Newton UF after Tebow, Texas after Colt McCoy. I like that we have won multiple titles with multiple QB's. BUILD a team not a player. it still takes a really good QB,but we win with good not great QB,s. Kind of like LSU with running back, Fornet was all of their offense, we shut him down and beat them every year he played. Any team that relies on a single player, lives and dies with that one player. We lost to Clemson as they had a balanced attack and a great QB. They were able to run enough to keep us off balance and keep drives alive. They are good team but now that their new QB is out they are maybe 60% as effective.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Truth be told... Auburn fans are even more miserable than the Louisville, Tennessee, Florida, Clemson, Washington, and the West Georgia Penitentiary fans.... ;)

S.N.A.S.S.

The listed teams can be fixed, but Auburn will still be Auburn.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
But I thought the heart of the team was their defense but Syracuse's offense sure had a nice night. But what do I know, I am no expert.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But I thought the heart of the team was their defense but Syracuse's offense sure had a nice night. But what do I know, I am no expert.
Everything builds on everything else in games like this. If Clemson was scoring like they are capable (and Syracuse is allowing 25 ppg, so their defense is weak), then their defense gets rest and plays better. Also, Syracuse's offense fed off of the play of it defense, which was totally a result of the injury to Bryant. It all fed itself, and Dabo never managed to get his team to turn it around.

So, yes, the heart of their team is their defense much like Alabama last year. But what happens to the defense when the offense is totally ineffective?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From all the barn supporters in the know that I talk to, I have heard Gus is safe if he only loses to UGA and us. But if he loses to either Arkansas or aTm it becomes a beat UGA or Bama or else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.