Hate Crime or PTSD? Marine attacks Iraqi restaurant in Portland

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This story makes me incredibly angry. It's baffling how poorly we have handled mental health in the US. If we can't address mental health issues with our vets we aren't ever going to address it for the broader population.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This story makes me incredibly angry. It's baffling how poorly we have handled mental health in the US. If we can't address mental health issues with our vets we aren't ever going to address it for the broader population.
You can't make them go to treatment. I would hazard a guess that admitting their mind is getting the best of them is not very easy.

I can't imagine how terrible it is for those brave soldiers. I've hit and killed 3 people at work and it stays with you in being varying degrees. Watching scenarios like he experienced would definitely change you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
You can't make them go to treatment. I would hazard a guess that admitting their mind is getting the best of them is not very easy.

I can't imagine how terrible it is for those brave soldiers. I've hit and killed 3 people at work and it stays with you in being varying degrees. Watching scenarios like he experienced would definitely change you.

Goodness! You must work in rail.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Goodness! You must work in rail.
Yep. 15 years. Many years ago I met a Canadian man who was riding with a transformer we were carrying (I think it was Optimus Prime, but he never spoke, just sat on the rail car in disguise). He told us he had worked at Canadian National for 28 years and had hit 14 people in his career, including a track worker at 97mph (passenger service). I'm not sure my sanity would hold up past 10.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I feel for him and also for the Iraqi. In the end, though, there is free will. His mental condition should be taken into consideration as a mitigating circumstance but it shouldn't be a get out of jail free card...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For those who don't know, not only do I have the memory illness, I've got PTSD, too.

I guess I TRY to put myself as much as possible in the guy's place but it's difficult for me to let it pass. Personally, I've never been fond of labeling anything a 'hate crime,' as if that somehow makes it worse. OJ didn't kill Nicole and Ron because he loved them, but that would likely be called a 'crime of passion.'

btw - I don't want to speak for Dr Staci nor will I disclose details (some of us know) but there was a recent tragedy that is somewhat similar that she's talked about that was/is rough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.