Link: Levi Wallace named mid-season all American by AP

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Congrats to Levi, great job. This is why I question the reliability of recruiting services. I would guess as many 5 star recruits don't make it at the major college level as those who do. Then there are those, like Levi, who make it on their own perseverance and are coachable.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Elite natural talent is one way but good talent and hard work is another. We have some walk-ons that could have probably been starters somewhere else in the FBS ranks. Derrick Gore went to ULM as a graduate transfer and is their leading rusher in a time-share backfield. Donnie Lee Jr may have seen the field in some role a few years from now if he could've acted right.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You might call him a late bloomer. That’s how NFL players from St Cloud State happen. They hadn’t developed until they get to college and suddenly they are an NFL talent that the recruiting services wiffed on.

Congrats to Levi, great job. This is why I question the reliability of recruiting services. I would guess as many 5 star recruits don't make it at the major college level as those who do. Then there are those, like Levi, who make it on their own perseverance and are coachable.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Gray, you make a great point on the ever debatable recruiting services.
take a look at the FBS CB comparison. aside from Bama, Penn St, and Washington most of the Top 7 shut down CBs are from mid tier programs.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm sure everybody agrees stories like this are one of the major hooks to following sport...a true feel good, damn proud of the player type story.

Well done Levi.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
And you would be wrong. The vast majority of 5-star players do exactly what they are predicted to do: start at the major college level. Yes, there are busts who never make an impact but they are a relatively small number.

The recruiting services aren't trying to project where a player will be in four years or, especially, where he will end up in the NFL draft; they are predicting primarily how ready the player is to contribute from day one with a small nod toward eventual production.

For example, an athletic freak who goes on to become a unanimous All-American, a first-round draft pick, and an NFL Hall of Famer would correctly be labelled as a 3-star if he didn't play football until his senior year and took two years of development at the major college level before he was able to really start regularly making an impact on the field.

Another example of a 3-star player is the guy who doesn't show the skills in high school, for whatever reason, to be able to start as a freshman or maybe even a sophomore but has the talent to at least be a role player. Then, after a couple of seasons in college, he becomes a late-bloomer who earns a starting job and starts displaying top-level skills late in his college career. Example given, Levi Wallace.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.