jefferson davis high school in ms. being renamed for obama

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Note to self....never bring up David Duke, he kills the thread.........
Well it is a thread partially about black people, so....

If anyone wants to get it back on track I'll avoid further derails.

In that vein I have no issues with schools making this choice for themselves.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well it is a thread partially about black people, so....

If anyone wants to get it back on track I'll avoid further derails.

In that vein I have no issues with schools making this choice for themselves.
To be fair - it was MY fault ha ha....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Trying hard but finding it difficult to care. Their school, they can name it what they wish.

Just let them try to name a majority black school George Corley Walllace High School and watch what happens.....

However, at core I agree with you.

Of course that's the catch.....it doesn't bother me if a school in WVA names itself after that former Klansman Robert Byrd. I'm sure it has happened. But something tells me some would object.

I honestly don't care if a school names itself after "evil person who shall not be named." But I don't think it would be smart.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Okay, to revive the thread (I love a Lost Cause).
Jefferson Davis may have shared the racial attitudes of many Americans that black people were nto ready for the responsibilities f self-government, but, unlike others, Jefferson Davis undertook steps to bring them to such responsibilities.
On his plantation, he established a court system in which slave defendants were tried by a jury of slaves. If convicted, slaves themselves determined the punishment. Davis himself sat as judge, but by his own rule, he could set aside or lessen a punishment (if he felt the jury had been unfair to the defendant), but he could not increase the punishment. He stated that his intent was to prepare his charges for the responsibilities of self-government.

In February 1864, Mrs Davis saw a black child being beaten by a black woman and intervened to stop the beating. The child said his name was Jim Limber. The Davis family adopted Jim (although there was no legal adoption law in Virginia at the time) and Jim stayed with the Davis family until the US Army separated Jim from the Davis' when Jefferson Davis was arrested in Georgia in 1865.

That might restart the thread...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.