jefferson davis high school in ms. being renamed for obama

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
link to clarion ledger

A predominately black public school in Mississippi named after Jefferson Davis will have its Confederate tied namesake stripped next year and replaced with the title of another president whose character students, parents and teachers have said is more fitting— Barack Obama.

Davis Magnet IB PTA President Janelle Jefferson announced at the Jackson Public Schools Board of Trustees meeting Tuesday evening that school stakeholders voted on Oct. 5 to rename the school Barack Obama Magnet IB.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
In general, I don't have a real problem with it. I just don't think Barack has earned the right to have a school named after him. (Same for a lot of presidents, I guess.)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There is a new school here named after the former president. My firm designed it. It was previous named after the area it was in they changed it just before it opened its doors.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
he did more to earn it than jefferson davis
I think that's debatable, but I can certainly recognize the value of inspiring a generation of young Mississippians, especially predominately black Mississippians in inspiring them to reach for the stars at that young age.
Obama rose form being the son of an immigrant to occupying the highest elective office in the land. Twice. Not too shabby.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In general, I don't have a real problem with it. I just don't think Barack has earned the right to have a school named after him. (Same for a lot of presidents, I guess.)
Well, if a country can go around renaming a bunch of things like airports and Cape Canaveral after a President mostly on the basis of his demise.....and name a bunch of schools after his less accomplished brother in 1969....then naming one after Obama isn't too much. I'm sure there will be others, and one can hardly blame a heavily black area for doing this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Personally, it seems logical to me. I hope it doesn't get like the Martin Luther King, Jr. boulevards. One wag said that, whenever you found yourself on one, you were not in a very good part of town... :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Personally, it seems logical to me. I hope it doesn't get like the Martin Luther King, Jr. boulevards. One wag said that, whenever you found yourself on one, you were not in a very good part of town... :)
Which I always wondered about....if we are truly a melting pot society...why not name those streets after someone who is not black and name streets in predominantly non-black neighborhoods after a black man.

Seriously.....who wouldn't want to live on Jackie Robinson Street? Or Condoleeza Rice Avenue?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This reminded me of a controversy prior to the 1990-91 school year back home.

In 1984, voters approved bond issues for all three county high schools to get new buildings. Two, in fact, were old 1940s buildings that had burned down at the different schools. Our school was built first (I was in the first graduation class from the new building in 1987). After it was built, the PTB wanted to change the name of our school in honor of this old lady who had been there since the Dead Sea wasn't even sick, a saintly old woman named Ms King. We were denied this request because the school board was trying to avoid controversy over names, so they basically had a rule that you couldn't name your school after a person (because they knew full well what was going to happen in rural MS, and this was about the time the Rebel flag controversy really began to heat up).

So we kept our name and named the BUILDING after the lady. Fair enough, right?

A few years later, the majority black school in the other part of the county got their new school. The old school - I'm 99% sure of this - was named for a slave owner. So they were basically told to pick another name that was NOT a name of a person.

Naturally, these geniuses picked M L King.

Naturally, the school board told them no.

And naturally, the charges of racism blah blah blah came out. Because of the county rules, school was delayed a full week due to protests and sit outs and the whole thing......and when it was all over, they gave a geographical name to the place and named the BUILDING after M L King.

I mean, it's not like they were expected to stand for the anthem or nothing......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Which I always wondered about....if we are truly a melting pot society...why not name those streets after someone who is not black and name streets in predominantly non-black neighborhoods after a black man.

Seriously.....who wouldn't want to live on Jackie Robinson Street? Or Condoleeza Rice Avenue?
I'm thinking David Duke might not want to live on those but.....hell, he's David Duke so who cares?

There's Native American names all over the south. Not too many NAs, though. (Yes, I KNOW why.....)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.