New Facility Coming to Campus? Byrne and Others Touring Facilities

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Trying to get my bearings. I know it can't be done on the Walk of Champions end and assume it can not be done on the "graveyard" end or the sorority row side. So I assume it will be on the opposite side of sorority row?
Believe it would be to the right of WoC if you're facing the stadium - the grassy area on the corner before you get to the strip.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Where which fraternity house used to sit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some interesting facts about that spot on the Quad...

When my dad was in school, it used to be Phi Kappa Sigma. Anyone on campus from the 70s - 90s remembers there being an empty space on that row of four houses before a house was moved to the vacant lot from the site of the current Bruno Business Library.

Dad was president of Phi Kappa Sigma (I've also heard former Gov. Bob Riley was president about 5-10 years after Dad). Sometime right after that, the house burned, leaving the gap that was later filled by the other house. Why this is noteworthy is that Ethelred Sykes, the author of the song "Yea, Alabama," wrote that song on a piano that was being housed in the basement of the Phi Kappa Sigma house at the time of the fire. There was a plaque on the side of the piano noting Sykes' contribution, and the Phi Kappa Sigma brothers were hopeful that it had survived the fire. But when they went down in what was left of the basement, the piano was nowhere to be found.

And then it turned up years later, seemingly unharmed, at another house, I believe Lambda Chi Alpha.

This to me is a great mystery to be solved, because it would suggest arson if true. Phi Kappa Sigma largely disappeared from campus for awhile; had the house not burned, perhaps that wouldn't have happened. When I was at UA in the early 90s, they still had a small group meeting at a residential house behind Tutwiler. I'm not sure if they're still on campus or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.