JessN: Tennessee preview: It’s been a rocky year for UT, and not likely to get better...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Tennessee preview: It’s been a rocky year for UT, and not likely to get better...

Tennessee preview: It’s been a rocky year for UT, and not likely to get better this week
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 19th, 2017 01:16 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Oct. 19, 2017 Somewhere this week, there’s a Tennessee fan wondering how Alabama is still in business – and also wondering why his own team barely is. One of the perhaps-apocryphal stories of Alabama’s long walk through the woods circa 1993-2007 was that then-Tennessee head coach Phil Fulmer told former […]

Read More Here

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Tennessee preview: It’s been a rocky year for UT, and not likely to get better th

Knew you would find a way to throw them a bone. Giving them ST even though their PK is likely out and his backup is a disaster. This after your punt returners had a bad game, which will result in some special "Saban" focus this week. :biggrin:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Re: Tennessee preview: It’s been a rocky year for UT, and not likely to get better th

UT is 116th in total offense in 2017, and is “balanced” in the regard that the Volunteers are 96th in rushing offense and 98th through the air
:) Awesome line!

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

I'd like to see a repeat of the Vandy score, 59-0. I really think that if or when Bama has complete command of the game in the 2nd half, Coach Saban will stay the season course and play ALOT of our young players, which makes predicting the final point total difficult. Our twos and threes have played very well this season and played more minutes it seems than any team in last several years. I think this is a very good thing! Get ready to light them up if you have them! RTR!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Bama is still in business, and business is GOOD on . :cool2:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I'd like to see a repeat of the Vandy score, 59-0. I really think that if or when Bama has complete command of the game in the 2nd half, Coach Saban will stay the season course and play ALOT of our young players, which makes predicting the final point total difficult. Our twos and threes have played very well this season and played more minutes it seems than any team in last several years. I think this is a very good thing! Get ready to light them up if you have them! RTR!
This is what I keep thinking about for how this year's Tennessee's game could be very different from years past. We have played a lot of backups in these games so maybe the 1's aren't quite as tired from the 7 game straight grind as we may think.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

The sportsmanship I like to think I have goes out the window against these guys......I hope we score everytime we touch the ball and keep them from crossing mid-field. It's Tennessee week! Roll Tide!

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

The sportsmanship I like to think I have goes out the window against these guys......I hope we score everytime we touch the ball and keep them from crossing mid-field. It's Tennessee week! Roll Tide!
I agree. This is my favorite week of the year. I call it the Hate Bowl. I only wish that they had fired Botch and named Phat Phil interim coach. My dream is to see Phats keel over and die of a heart attack on the sideline from the stress of being beaten 72-0 by Bama.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

These goons stole ten years of college football from me. I hope they never win another game. I don't want them to get the death penalty. I want them to be Kansas forever.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

I agree. This is my favorite week of the year. I call it the Hate Bowl. I only wish that they had fired Botch and named Phat Phil interim coach. My dream is to see Phats keel over and die of a heart attack on the sideline from the stress of being beaten 72-0 by Bama.
Now thats what I call true hate. I have never posted I wanted to see Phat Phil dead, but I would not be the one to start CPR on him if he had a heart attack and I was present.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

My one request for the offense? I do not want to see J.K. Scott punt. That is all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

On the bright side for the Vols, they might get to witness, for the third week in a row, Damien Harris run for a touchdown on Bama's first play from scrimmage.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

Now who could argue with this?
It pretty much sums up how I would like to see the events of Saturday unfold as well.

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

Thanks Jess, I will take 42-6, but would love 59-0...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

Knew you would find a way to throw them a bone. Giving them ST even though their PK is likely out and his backup is a disaster. This after your punt returners had a bad game, which will result in some special "Saban" focus this week. :biggrin:
Their return teams are really good and the punter was probably 2nd/3rd in the SEC coming into the year. With Scott struggling a little (and to be fair to their PK, he's pretty good on shorter kicks), it wasn't a gift. But if Alabama plays up to standard on ST, they're hard to beat.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

"For fans who had to put up with the all-too-cozy relationship between Fulmer, the SEC office and NCAA investigators during the late 90s and early 2000s, there is little sympathy to go around. The fans will be clamoring for a 60-point win, but the likelihood is that Tennessee has sort of a dead-cat-bounce effort here to keep things reasonable. Still, expecting Tennessee to actually threaten an upset is probably not on the table."

^^^
Maybe change this phrase to "dead-dog-bounce"? . . . . or "dead-hound-bounce"? . . . :biggrin2:

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

Great writeup. Thank you for mentioning Fulmer and the "out of business" story. People have short memories these days and football fans are no different, and I don't want his actions to ever be forgotten. Right now, we have a generation of young fans who, like myself, are growing up with a winning Alabama team. This is awesome, but many of them probably don't know or care about what went on back in the 90's and have probably never even heard this story.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.