Link: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State and the Embrace of ‘Basketball on Grass’

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

This is a fantastic read on football concepts and the recent evolution of offenses and how defenses are combating things.

When Mike Gundy first became Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator in 1994, his Cowboys operated out of the I-formation and offset-I. Sure, his Pokes would attempt a little bit of misdirection out of this, and they threw more than some other I-formation teams. But that formation was the standard of the day. It was especially the standard for Gundy’s mentor and head coach, Pat Jones.

The game began to change, however, and Gundy, out from under Jones’ wing, began to change with it. When he became his alma mater’s head coach in the mid-2000s, he began to find extreme value in changing before it.

“We’ve been on the cutting edge on no-huddle, on hurry-up offense, on nutrition, on hydration, on sleep, on cutting back on physicality in practice,” Gundy says. “We’re not scared to take chances.”

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well give the man credit. Okie State used to be the Mississippi State of their conference but he has made them a consistent 8, 9, and 10 win program. Only one Big 12 Championship and no NC’s though. I still think Alabama and LSU would have crushed them in 2011.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great article - loved the detail that he goes into with respect the RPO offense. But remember that Gundy's RPO offense is nothing like Alabama's because he does not have someone like Jalen at QB. The RPO is far more effective if the QB is a threat to run on every play.

Gundy is a smart man who needs some haircut advice. Until his teams play defense, they are not going to win championships.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well give the man credit. Okie State used to be the Mississippi State of their conference but he has made them a consistent 8, 9, and 10 win program. Only one Big 12 Championship and no NC’s though. I still think Alabama and LSU would have crushed them in 2011.
We now play a 12 game schedule with a 13th game if you make it to the conference CG. Not as hard to be a 10 win team today as it used to be - not by a long shot.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Bama fans should remember this...
We do what the QB does best.
Really awesome article.
Says Gundy: “Offense is always based on your quarterback. Pee wee, junior high, high school, college, NFL, 90 percent of the teams are going to go as their quarterback goes. If you’re trying to accomplish something your quarterback’s not good at, you’re going to lose.
“I don’t care how good a throwing guru you are, you have to execute what the quarterback can. If he’s a very cerebral player, you can do a lot.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.