Some program really needs to hire Mack Brown to be their head coach...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, Don Criqui (sp?).....;)
You named a retired guy, a dead guy, the Notre Dame guy, and the Forrest Gump of sports announcers (Michaels manages to win up everywhere just by chance).

Summerall was worse than Verne Lundquist about getting the wrong player from the wrong team.

The other three plus Dick Enberg very good but you'll still find folks who hate them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I watched part of a game two weeks ago where neither announcer gave the score, seldom gave the position on the field, but both of them prattled on and on about nothing. A little of that goes a long way. (Seinfeld, over and over again)
I once read an article about some famous baseball announcer. (Can’t recall who). He said he kept a small egg timer hourglass on the desk in front of him. When the sand ran out, he’d give the score and flip it over. By doing this, he’d be sure to give the score every two-three minutes or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I would say FSU could hire him, but he is just like Fisher, had no back up QB up to stepping in and running the team. I am amazed how many of these so called great coaches can get so many accolades, then not a word about their shortcomings when staring QB goes out. If you scheme basically falls apart when the starting QB goes out, how are you considered such a great coach. If the position is so vital to your scheme working, why do you not have a better plan for backup, or have a better back up. NO way anyone will convince me, that a program like FSU cannot get 2 good QB's. I look around at smaller programs with very good QB's, money says 99% of the big teams never offered them a scholarship. NOW say what you want about Nick Saban people, but he has won multiple titles with multiple QB's. We seem to keep rolling each year with the next guy in line. Now that is a great coach, he gets more than ONE good QB, he just reloads like every other position. It started with Greg McElroy, and since then we have not risen or fallen with our QB. Maybe he is showing the blue print to sustaining excellence, do not rely so much on ONE player to win games.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
You named a retired guy, a dead guy, the Notre Dame guy, and the Forrest Gump of sports announcers (Michaels manages to win up everywhere just by chance).

Summerall was worse than Verne Lundquist about getting the wrong player from the wrong team.

The other three plus Dick Enberg very good but you'll still find folks who hate them.
Until I realized you weren’t describing them in the order you named them, I thought you’d failed to Selma them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Just don't like Mack cause his voice is annoying as heck..I'd rather listen to Les Miles..
I watched about 2 minutes of the TCU-Kansas game. Not cuz of the terrible matchup but because I saw the booth team was Tim Brando, Spencer Tillman, and Les. Nothing against Tillman, but those other two corndogs has gots to go!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The quality of talent, or better yet LACK of quality talent in the booth today is killing college football. I basically watch games muted, only hit volume when I need to here what a call is or why something was called. Other than that I can see what is happeneing, and most add nothing beyond explaining exactly what I see. No good factoids or updates about stats that are not already displayed on TV. I can watch in mute mode and not miss one thing. That tells me the announcers ADD nothing to the game, they just verbalize what is already totally visible to anyone watching. Why pay them at all, why have them at all. Put some grad student in there to explain the best places in the town to eat and get drunk, at least that would be info not provided visually on the screen during the game. Really when was the last time an announcer added to the game, they just jabber on about crap. the worst offenders spend a lot of time hyping up another game or player, If I want to hear about that stupid OU QB I will watch that game not Bama game. So less is more boys, the 3 rules of talk, is it true, is it necessary, and is it nice. If not then shut up. Remeber gary and verne at least 5 time a game every game the whole time Ingram played. They had to mention his dad in prison, many times a game for 2-3 years. Like anyone watching Bama game had not been made aware of that by them many times before. What puprose did that serve to enhance a game?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think you buried old Al Michaels too soon. He's doing a great job of calling the Falcons vs. Pats tonight...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think you buried old Al Michaels too soon. He's doing a great job of calling the Falcons vs. Pats tonight...

Oh, I like Al Michaels. He's great.

But he's Forrest Gump, not that he's dumb, but he literally winds up everywhere.

He's a Cincinnati Reds baseball announcer and just happens to get to call Clemente's last game, which is when the Reds win the pennant on a wild pitch; he's sent to do Miracle on Ice (that we assume we'll lose) because he's the only ABC guy who had ever called a hockey game, he wins a NEWS Emmy because of the earthquake at the 1989 World Series, and he happens to be on when the OJ Bronco chase goes on and realizes there's a clown telling Peter Jennings he's at OJ's house when he isn't and cuts in.

Al literally winds up everywhere, just like Gump.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, I like Al Michaels. He's great.

But he's Forrest Gump, not that he's dumb, but he literally winds up everywhere.

He's a Cincinnati Reds baseball announcer and just happens to get to call Clemente's last game, which is when the Reds win the pennant on a wild pitch; he's sent to do Miracle on Ice (that we assume we'll lose) because he's the only ABC guy who had ever called a hockey game, he wins a NEWS Emmy because of the earthquake at the 1989 World Series, and he happens to be on when the OJ Bronco chase goes on and realizes there's a clown telling Peter Jennings he's at OJ's house when he isn't and cuts in.

Al literally winds up everywhere, just like Gump.
I actually was watching the earthquake ball game. My daughter had just moved to Oakland and was commuting into Frisco every day on the freeway which pancaked. It was an anxious 30 minutes or so until we could verify her safety ("all circuits busy"). Several years after that, I financed a raft trip through the Grand Canyon for her. (She had been a raft guide on the Chatooga and Ocoee.) They had a historic flood, volumes up over 100K cfs, and she saw several older people die at Crystal Rapid. There was no way to contact her. When she got to Phantom Ranch, the only crossing point, she called and relieved our minds. However, Al Michaels wasn't there... :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.