Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Vols (aka elevensee)

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Just some stats regarding our amazing offensive production this year. We have been a bit spoiled, and it may have contributed to a perceived slow start to the TN game.

Prior to TN game:
1st quarter cumulative scoring: Alabama 100 Opponents 9 (No first quarter touchdowns allowed)
2nd quarter cumulative scoring: Alabama 69 Opponents 17
1st HALF cumulative scoring: Alabama 169 Opponents 26

Against the Vols, we scored 21 first half points to their 0 points to bring the year's cumulative total to 190-26.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Vols...

You're welcome to your opinion. Saban will not be happy with the mistakes or with the execution at times, but half-hearted? Perhaps a touch harsh.
Just watched the game again and came away agreeing with you. The 2nd and 3rd offensive possessions were kinda sad, but other than that, Alabama played well and put forth great effort. Long, methodical drives on offense and a staggering defense.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just some stats regarding our amazing offensive production this year. We have been a bit spoiled, and it may have contributed to a perceived slow start to the TN game.

Prior to TN game:
1st quarter cumulative scoring: Alabama 100 Opponents 9 (No first quarter touchdowns allowed)

Against the Vols, we scored 21 first half points to their 0 points to bring the year's cumulative total to 190-26.
What an insane combination of offense and defense. If they can remain relatively healthy and stay focused, this will likely go down as one of, if not the most, dominant Alabama teams ever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Just watched the game again and came away agreeing with you. The 2nd and 3rd offensive possessions were kinda sad, but other than that, Alabama played well and put forth great effort. Long, methodical drives on offense and a staggering defense.
Missed watching most of the game (got home after the pick-six), so I had to watch the first half yesterday.

The offense looked sluggish through the first half for various reasons, which I was suspecting after hearing Saban's remarks during the week.

Daboll decided to go fast, which is when the offense picked up steam. Link

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Saw his twitter, but he said Tua make decisions before the ball is snap.
He said he's not afraid to pull the trigger.... and inferred that he gets the ball off so fast reaction wise.... that it's almost as IF he made the decision pre-snap.

That's a big distinction. You can visibly see Tua actually go through his progressions. To say he's made the decision of where to go before the snap is a no-no in most cases and a bad thing. That is the tell-tale sign of a QB who is forcing something and taking risks.

Tua is playing smart and fast. He's obviously only had 1 glaring bad play and the explanation is he just flat didn't see the defender. If he was 'making decisions before the ball is snapped' we would have seen MANY mistakes by now.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL

Prior to TN game:

So, if my math holds, the average score at the end of the first half of this year's games has been roughly 24-3 Bama (rounding up and down for effect). I'll take that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re-watched the game tonight - goodness, Bama sleep-walked through much of the game and completely destroyed tennessee...

I know it's 'second-half thinking', but watching Tagovailoa in the second half is more amazing now. That guy is flipping amazing.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re-watched the game tonight - goodness, Bama sleep-walked through much of the game and completely destroyed tennessee...

I know it's 'second-half thinking', but watching Tagovailoa in the second half is more amazing now. That guy is flipping amazing.
Among those who have thrown 25 or more passes, Tua is leading the SEC by almost 20 points in QBR, except for Fromm by 8. He has made two of the most amazing throws I've ever seen in just 42 attempts. It's electric when he enters the game even though it's a blowout by then - he is breathtaking. Hope it's not just the competition.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Don't get me wrong. I haven't watched it again yet, but I know the effort was inconsistent at times. It seemed on some plays 9 guys were in the play and 2 others were halfway home already. The was effort was lacking in spots. They did finally dial it up a notch.

I also think (perhaps wrongly) that Saban was sending a message by putting in many 2nd stringers when the game was still theoretically not completely in the bag. It was 28-7 and Saban usually waits until much later with a larger lead.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Don't get me wrong. I haven't watched it again yet, but I know the effort was inconsistent at times. It seemed on some plays 9 guys were in the play and 2 others were halfway home already. The was effort was lacking in spots. They did finally dial it up a notch.

I also think (perhaps wrongly) that Saban was sending a message by putting in many 2nd stringers when the game was still theoretically not completely in the bag. It was 28-7 and Saban usually waits until much later with a larger lead.
That's not how I saw it. I thought the best drive of the game was the first of the second half. I believe the passing over the middle was a dress rehearsal for the LSU game (after last year we can't count on just running) and after the dress rehearsal the understudies came in according to plan.

PS: at 28-7 in that game, the game was in the bag, in the freezer, and tagged for burial.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

That's not how I saw it. I thought the best drive of the game was the first of the second half. I believe the passing over the middle was a dress rehearsal for the LSU game (after last year we can't count on just running) and after the dress rehearsal the understudies came in according to plan.

PS: at 28-7 in that game, the game was in the bag, in the freezer, and tagged for burial.
Agreed and agreed.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Among those who have thrown 25 or more passes, Tua is leading the SEC by almost 20 points in QBR, except for Fromm by 8. He has made two of the most amazing throws I've ever seen in just 42 attempts. It's electric when he enters the game even though it's a blowout by then - he is breathtaking. Hope it's not just the competition.
It's odd....we find ourselves with our own version of Deshawn Watson and we are happy, then we get our own version of a Johnny Manziel/Drew Brees love child waiting in the wings. That's a football first world problem right there.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
As long as we keep putting away teams by half, we will get to see more of him. Both good things.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
He said he's not afraid to pull the trigger.... and inferred that he gets the ball off so fast reaction wise.... that it's almost as IF he made the decision pre-snap.

That's a big distinction. You can visibly see Tua actually go through his progressions. To say he's made the decision of where to go before the snap is a no-no in most cases and a bad thing. That is the tell-tale sign of a QB who is forcing something and taking risks.

Tua is playing smart and fast. He's obviously only had 1 glaring bad play and the explanation is he just flat didn't see the defender. If he was 'making decisions before the ball is snapped' we would have seen MANY mistakes by now.
Actually a lot of QB decisions are made pre snap by reading the defense. If you see a defense line up in a way you get a mismatch, a good QB exploits that. NOT saying you do not continue to read D to make sure they do not change coverage at snap. I have heard many coaches say how important pre snap reads are. They study a lot fo film and when they see a tale tale sign pre snap it can and has led to huge plays. Again not saying you see something and just go with it, but it is a vital part of being a great QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.