Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Vols (aka elevensee)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Starting to look like a Bama, Penn State, Norte Dame and either UGA, Wisconsin, or OU playoff.

If so, then just give us the trophy now ;)

It will be a bloodbath.

To beat Bama you have to have an elite defense....only UGA is showing signs of one
I think Baker Mayfield could give us problems.other than that, I pretty much agree.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Well, if that be true, my hat's off to them for knowing and enforcing it. Did the article say anything about the no first down? Also, I thought that two PFs got you pitched nowadays...
I think I may have found the answer to the no first down defensive holding call. According to the NCAA rule book:

Use of Hands or Arms by Defense: Passing Downs
ARTICLE 5. During a legal forward pass play in which the pass crosses the neutral zone, if before the pass is touched there is a contact foul BY Team B beyond the neutral zone against an eligible receiver (other than pass interference), the penalty includes an automatic first down.
PENALTY—10 or 15 yards and automatic first down if the first down is not in conflict with other rules [S38].
I interpret this as meaning if Jalen had thrown the ball, it would have been an automatic first down, but because he didn't, it wasn't. (I am remembering this play correctly right?)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think I may have found the answer to the no first down defensive holding call. According to the NCAA rule book:

I interpret this as meaning if Jalen had thrown the ball, it would have been an automatic first down, but because he didn't, it wasn't. (I am remembering this play correctly right?)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I was hearing that last night, the difference between passing and running downs. I guess it just never came up before...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I thought that there was a change of possession in the play -- the fumble. I know I'm stubborn, but I still believe they botched it. (Like that??? :cool2:

I thought the same about the PF...must be a flagrant or something. I know nothing anymore...if I ever did.
I agree. There is no way that is right. The end of the run resulted in a fumble and change of possession. I'll just say in all my years of watching football that that would go against anything I've ever seen or heard. How can they just act like the fumble didn't happen? Anyway, I'm glad it happened in a game like this where the outcome was not in doubt.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I have to give kudos to Jonah... no idea how he kept his composure with a dude choking him out. I know all kinds of things happen in football, in the scrim, under the pile, etc. ... But wow. I would've taken it out on Kongbo. Glad our guys are disciplined.

One funny thing in that regard: Jennings was getting frustrated and did "speak" to refs a couple of times, once especially, when his jersey was dang near completely removed...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I knew how cool headed Jalen was last year. Some big lineman got him just after a pass completion. Stayed on top of him while he tried to get up, even pushed down on him a few times. Jalen just layed there until he was done being a punk. Got up with a semi smile and went back to work. YOU will not rattle this kid ever. I would have been all in his face after getting up. Good thing was a Bama lineman saw it and got in his face LOL. No matter what is happening around him Jalen looks so cool and calm. Best thing a QB can be.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Vols...

Thanks for the flippant response. I said "but we both know Tua isn't Bateman", which was an explicit way of saying the two are not equal (and nothing else I said was about Bateman). For the record, on-its-face absurd is also plotting scenarios in which one of the top quarterbacks in the nation can be benched (not accusing anyone in particular but that was what I was addressing).
Prior to yesterday, the flat, out of sync nature of our passing game is a very real scenario in which our quarterback - who may or may not be "one of the top quarterbacks in the nation" - could be swapped out for his teammate, who in a particular scenario, could give Alabama a better chance to win.

That said, yesterday's playcalling opened up a lot of avenues for the offense to follow. I think it unlikely that we find ourselves in a situation like we did from Auburn through Clemson last year, as our offensive coordinator is neither drunk nor looking for another job. However, should Jalen find himself in such a situation, allowing Tua to take the reigns might not be a bad idea. Even Gary Danielson noted that Jalen had some problems in passing early on when he missed an almost certain touchdown to Ridley early in the game. That can be corrected, but it's worth noting.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I agree. There is no way that is right. The end of the run resulted in a fumble and change of possession. I'll just say in all my years of watching football that that would go against anything I've ever seen or heard. How can they just act like the fumble didn't happen? Anyway, I'm glad it happened in a game like this where the outcome was not in doubt.
2008 UA-BAMA the "blackout game" 1st quarter: Glenn Coffee is running toward the goal line as he is stripped from behind. He fumbles, UGA recovers, and the change of possession is signaled. However, before the fumble there was a roughing the passer on John Parker that gave us the ball back, half the distance from the goal where Coffee fumbled. As long as I've been watching football, I've seen that if the penalty occurs before the turnover, it's negated.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
2008 UA-BAMA the "blackout game" 1st quarter: Glenn Coffee is running toward the goal line as he is stripped from behind. He fumbles, UGA recovers, and the change of possession is signaled. However, before the fumble there was a roughing the passer on John Parker that gave us the ball back, half the distance from the goal where Coffee fumbled. As long as I've been watching football, I've seen that if the penalty occurs before the turnover, it's negated.
I think you bring up a good point. It's not seen very often but really a simple, what do you do with the penalty committed by the defense if the recover a turnover by the offense in the same play? You can't just disregard the penalty. Question from where is the spot the penalty is assessed. Personal foul calls are always tacked onto the end of a play. It just looked odd yesterday given the turnover toward the endzone. I think they got it right now that I have had time to think about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
For those in the know.....is there any discussion regarding putting our most sure-handed ball-catchers out there to fair-catch punt returns? Injuries are on all of our minds this year, but a fair-catch would mitigate the risk. This issue was the only way Tennessee was able to get in the red zone yesterday.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I still wonder why Jones let that player finish the game after he flipped off the Alabama student section. By letting him finish the game, he showed the whole world where his priorities really were, and they were not in building "Champions of Life".

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It is funny to see Jalen and TUA next to each other, ststa show they are 1 pound different and 1 inch difference but in game I owuld swear Tua is much taller. Time to get my glasses checked LOL.. It is funny how guys look different until they are next to each other of vice versa.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I still wonder why Jones let that player finish the game after he flipped off the Alabama student section. By letting him finish the game, he showed the whole world where his priorities really were, and they were not in building "Champions of Life".
I heard in church this morning (from UT fans) that Butch didn’t realize what had happened. Not that I believe that, but it had been a long time since his team had seen the end zone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is funny to see Jalen and TUA next to each other, ststa show they are 1 pound different and 1 inch difference but in game I owuld swear Tua is much taller. Time to get my glasses checked LOL.. It is funny how guys look different until they are next to each other of vice versa.
And Tua has on cleats there while Jalen is in socks.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.