The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- Volunteer Style...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
So in short, the referees got both calls correct. As much grief as we give them, that does show how difficult it is to keep all the rules straight: two obscure once in twenty year calls happened during the game (the fumble out of the endzone not equaling a turnover and thus being placed at the spot of the fumble, and the defensive holding on a run play call). We can complain about the rules themselves, but the refs actually made correct calls.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The Good - most of the game. Slow start on O was annoying but not overly surprising.

The Bad - The Tua pick 6 looked pretty bad and the fact that we let it be returned, but he will learn from it. Also, I may have underrated his running ability.

The Ugly - Nothing was really ugly. I just can't stand Gary Danielson

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
So in short, the referees got both calls correct. As much grief as we give them, that does show how difficult it is to keep all the rules straight: two obscure once in twenty year calls happened during the game (the fumble out of the endzone not equaling a turnover and thus being placed at the spot of the fumble, and the defensive holding on a run play call). We can complain about the rules themselves, but the refs actually made correct calls.
and ironically..the very same call for holding occurred in the USC-ND game. USC was awarded half the distance but the down was simply replayed.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Good Everything Bama
Bad TV announcers, most all of them
Ugly everything UT

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I missed this one. Defensive holding is an automatic first down only if the ball is thrown and passes the line of scrimmage.
I wasn't commenting on the ref's call, but my opinion of the rule. Just an opinion: that it should not be that a pass is required because the holding may be why the QB does not throw the ball.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm not sure why some are complaining about Bama's "slow offensive start". The first drive was a nice 12 play TD drive, the only other possession in qtr 1 was a 7 play drive that ended in a punt. That's not great but is it that bad ? The second qtr: one 3 and out, 2 long ( 15 play 85, 6 play 77 at end of half) TD drives. The entire first half Bama had 5 possessions: 3 long TD drives, one 7 play possession and punt, one 3 and out, ~18 minutes of TOP. Jalen 144 yards passing. UT is not a good team, but they came to play and were as physical as they could be - they did not back down. I was impressed with that aspect of their game. Bama's first half was not scintillating offensively, but certainly effective. Is that bad ?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not sure why some are complaining about Bama's "slow offensive start". The first drive was a nice 12 play TD drive, the only other possession in qtr 1 was a 7 play drive that ended in a punt. That's not great but is it that bad ? The second qtr: one 3 and out, 2 long ( 15 play 85, 6 play 77 at end of half) TD drives. The entire first half Bama had 5 possessions: 3 long TD drives, one 7 play possession and punt, one 3 and out, ~18 minutes of TOP. Jalen 144 yards passing. UT is not a good team, but they came to play and were as physical as they could be - they did not back down. I was impressed with that aspect of their game. Bama's first half was not scintillating offensively, but certainly effective. Is that bad ?
i was wondering the same during the near meltdown on the game thread.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It was a slow start in the sense that 2 of the first 3 drives went no where and it was more methodical than at least I expected. I guess I didn't really expect to need 12 and 15 play drives to score an expected more big plays. I guess it wasnt really a "slow start" just slower than I expected.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
The good-both the offense and defense
the bad-probably sealed the chances that Butch Jones won't be back next year.
the ugly-punts muffed and U cheat scored

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It was a slow start in the sense that 2 of the first 3 drives went no where and it was more methodical than at least I expected. I guess I didn't really expect to need 12 and 15 play drives to score an expected more big plays. I guess it wasnt really a "slow start" just slower than I expected.
Because two of the touchdowns were right before end of half, until 4:48 remaining in the second half, we had no more than a 7 point lead, which was far below expectation.

Tennessee's defense had been terrible all year, especially against the run, which is the strength of the Alabama offense.

We had been expecting a blood bath, and that wasn't happening, at least until it got turned around.

Also, there were several stops for no gain, and some off-the-mark passes which contributed to the sense of frustration.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Because two of the touchdowns were right before end of half, until 4:48 remaining in the second half, we had no more than a 7 point lead, which was far below expectation.

Tennessee's defense had been terrible all year, especially against the run, which is the strength of the Alabama offense.

We had been expecting a blood bath, and that wasn't happening, at least until it got turned around.

Also, there were several stops for no gain, and some off-the-mark passes which contributed to the sense of frustration.
I guess it depends on what "start" means. If it is the beginning of the game - Bama scored on its first possession; if it's the next 2 possessions - they did not score; if it is the last 2 - they scored TDs on both.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.