The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- Volunteer Style...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
LSU will fall, they have not played well against us, they are built like us and play like us but not to our standard. Their run works on many defenses in SEC butnot ours, we love stopping the run. To beat us they need a passing game that is good, they do not have that. Auburn, give me a break as much hype as they have gotten struggled to bet mercer. They will play up and make it look good one half, but our depth and talent will win second half as it has so many times. UGA if they make SECCG has the best shot of any SEC team to beat us, still not happening. Nick always beats his coordinators turned HC. But Kirby is real deal, next year it may be different. As long as we play as we have been laying no team out there can match up well enough to beat us, not meaning we cannot lose. But only team that can really beat us, is us. Complacency is our biggest foe.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Bama had only 2 drives in the 1st qtr: 12 play drive for TD; 7 play drive, 2 FDs then punt. Is that bad ?

You don't seem to care for Jalen but Bama gained more yards ~330-270, scored more points 28-17, had fewer TOs 0-1 with Jalen. All this against a fresher D. Tua is good and exciting, but Jalen is good and should be the QB.
Since I did not mention any names, you must think that Jalen throws late and behind receivers. I'm just pointing out things that need improvement. I'm not calling for Jalen to move to running back.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Do we have anything concrete or is that just speculative?

I kind of get the narrative though. Clearly some attempts were made to protect Hurts (less runs and more Tua). Furthermore, the second half drive did feel a bit like, ok they wanted a TD so they could put in Tua. That does beg the question of why they didn't let Hurts do that all game?

The thing is I'm not sure who to attribute these types of choices to. I've said this before but Daboll is someone that's inexperienced in the college game and had a shaky resume as an NFL OC. I'm not complaining about his overall performance, but I'm also not sure what to attribute some things to. It does seem like most of his gameplan is made prior to the game with little adjustment to what the other team is doing. That's fine against an inferior opponent, but it feels like Alabama is slow sometimes to adjust to what the other team is doing. The throwing down the middle drive in the second half either signals being slow to adjust or sandbagging and I'm not sure which that is.
Pure speculation based on past performance, if that makes sense.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Good - the evident goodwill and esteem between the two quarterbacks

More good - Daboll calling seams and crossing routes, and Jalen hitting them

Even more good - the whole second team offense, which could have beat the Vols today

Bad - a 1-quarter slump on offense after the first TD, punt return loose balls

Ugly - flipping off the crowd, this is more at the level of Troy after they beat LSU.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Good - the evident goodwill and esteem between the two quarterbacks

More good - Daboll calling seams and crossing routes, and Jalen hitting them

Even more good - the whole second team offense, which could have beat the Vols today

Bad - a 1-quarter slump on offense after the first TD, punt return loose balls

Ugly - flipping off the crowd, this is more at the level of Troy after they beat LSU.
Had UT been 3 TD's ahead when he flipped us off, I would not like it. But doing it 3 TD's down just shows the kids frustration, I can forgive that.I mean really folks being a VOL right now is a tough gig. Let the kid vent, I laughed as that was all he had for us . He is young and he has been beaten down, which one of us would not be upset and fruustrated. It was actually funny to me, means we were residing rent free in his head.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Had UT been 3 TD's ahead when he flipped us off, I would not like it. But doing it 3 TD's down just shows the kids frustration, I can forgive that.I mean really folks being a VOL right now is a tough gig. Let the kid vent, I laughed as that was all he had for us . He is young and he has been beaten down, which one of us would not be upset and fruustrated. It was actually funny to me, means we were residing rent free in his head.
I agree that it has to be very frustrating for those kids right now, but that doesn't make it okay to do that. Like you say, though, it is understandable. I don't understand a lot of kids these days because I'm getting to be an old codger, I suppose. I think it was the Missouri game that I was watching a little of this morning, and I saw kids who scored a TD do a celebration dance with clapping and slapping and dancing. I thought it seemed stupid to be dancing when they were down by 50 points. Then, I tried thinking from a more modern perspective. Games should be fun, and they scored a TD so why shouldn't they dance? I don't know; I guess I just wouldn't feel much like dancing if I was getting my tail whipped by fifty on national TV.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
THE GOOD..... We won w/o much effort. ;)
THE BAD........ Our punt returns.
THE UGLY....... Tennessee Orange (Ugly as Derek Dooley's pants)

Goodbye 'Botch', it's been fun. :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
a and m wasn't all that, they got "momentum" when we turned over the ball in our own territory. the game was never in doubt
true but they at least put up a decent fight. What other SEC team so far even got close?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I agree that it has to be very frustrating for those kids right now, but that doesn't make it okay to do that. Like you say, though, it is understandable. I don't understand a lot of kids these days because I'm getting to be an old codger, I suppose. I think it was the Missouri game that I was watching a little of this morning, and I saw kids who scored a TD do a celebration dance with clapping and slapping and dancing. I thought it seemed stupid to be dancing when they were down by 50 points. Then, I tried thinking from a more modern perspective. Games should be fun, and they scored a TD so why shouldn't they dance? I don't know; I guess I just wouldn't feel much like dancing if I was getting my tail whipped by fifty on national TV.
Yeah the celebration LEVEL when still getting beat is funny to me. I do not know the answer, but I have to go back to old saying credited to Bear Bryant, not sure if he really said it, but great advice.No matter the score when you make a score or great play, act like you have been there before. I love whenbeating a team bad, auburn especially, they do it a lot, They finally stuff say a run paly for no gain, when down 30 points. They jump around like they won a National Title. Seems silly to me to celebrate a tackle when you have given up hundreds of rushing yards and many TD;s :biggrin2:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Phil and Eli stated the rule is different, down close to the goal line.

Didn't hear all of it, because (the utterly ridiculous)

The stinking Tune-in "app" interrupts the game at the worst possible time with some stupid commercial.

Missed the goal line stand................Tua's TD run...........all for some stupid Macy's commercial. (Usually, they stop that nonsense, sometime in Q1. This week, made into Q3 before it started, but once it did......................)

(I'm so mad having that they interrupted the game with that garbage that it has put me in a foul mood...............like after a certain API game.)

(So mad I can't even take a nap now!)
Did you have it on the Alabama Crimson Tide Sports Network? They also play it on a different channel under the "College Football" heading.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Phil and Eli stated the rule is different, down close to the goal line. Didn't hear all of it, .......
I was raising a ruckus about not getting an automatic 1st down when I heard Phil and Eli state the auto-first down doesn't apply in college if the offense is inside the defense's 10-yard line. I've never heard of that exception before, and can only assume Phil and Eli knew what they were talking about.

The Good: Dominating TN
The Bad: Tua's Pick-6
The Ugly: The Block-in-the-Back penalty against us that was actually a textbook block

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I was raising a ruckus about not getting an automatic 1st down when I heard Phil and Eli state the auto-first down doesn't apply in college if the offense is inside the defense's 10-yard line. I've never heard of that exception before, and can only assume Phil and Eli knew what they were talking about.

The Good: Dominating TN
The Bad: Tua's Pick-6
The Ugly: The Block-in-the-Back penalty against us that was actually a textbook block
I've never heard that either. Here is a link to the NCAA Football Rule Book -- I could not find that rule. I did see where on a play where the runner fumbles out of the end zone and there is a defensive penalty, the play goes back to the end of the run -- which is the fumble. I have never heard of that in my 66+ years...oh well. I still think they blew the automatic first down...

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17updated.pdf

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've never heard that either. Here is a link to the NCAA Football Rule Book -- I could not find that rule. I did see where on a play where the runner fumbles out of the end zone and there is a defensive penalty, the play goes back to the end of the run -- which is the fumble. I have never heard of that in my 66+ years...oh well. I still think they blew the automatic first down...

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17updated.pdf
they blew it

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Good: Smoking Tennessee 11 years straight
The Bad: They scored
The Ugly: our fans that constantly want to bring up a certain topic (both on and off this site) and the eeyores as always

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.