JessN: Tennessee wrap-up: Tide started slow, but hapless Vols offered no resistance afterwar

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Thanks for the wrap-up after another wonderful win over UT. I did find it interesting that you mentioned that Jalen played one of his better games. I think he was his typical calm, cool self and handled the team well, but I thought his passing was way off in the first half. He was behind or low and sometimes behind and low his receivers on several throws. It put them in bad positions where they could have been lit up. Otherwise, yes, his play was its normal solid performance. I also thought the call where they gave us the penalty and the yardage that Smith earned before fumbling was the oddest call I've seen in a long time. That block in the back call was definitely bogus, though. I look forward to reading your wrap-up every Sunday morning, so thanks again.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Thanks for the wrap-up after another wonderful win over UT. I did find it interesting that you mentioned that Jalen played one of his better games. I think he was his typical calm, cool self and handled the team well, but I thought his passing was way off in the first half. He was behind or low and sometimes behind and low his receivers on several throws. It put them in bad positions where they could have been lit up. Otherwise, yes, his play was its normal solid performance. I also thought the call where they gave us the penalty and the yardage that Smith earned before fumbling was the oddest call I've seen in a long time. That block in the back call was definitely bogus, though. I look forward to reading your wrap-up every Sunday morning, so thanks again.
Yeah, I thought 15 yards from LOS, but then if you think about it, had he fumbled OOB on the sideline, we would have gotten the penalty marked from the spot of the fumble. If UT had recovered in the end zone it would have been different, but since it went OOB, it was ours.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
These kinds of games can be hard to analyze because the opponent's abject failure as a unit looms over everything you see.

I agree that really what we demonstrated in this game is that we are aware of our predictability in spots on offense and defense and we're letting the future opponents know we have alternatives that attack cheating towards those tendencies. That is refreshing because in years past it felt like this "self-awareness" needed a bye week to happen (more on offense than defense honestly). Instead, we're getting week-to-week offensive adjustments.

Last week I felt Arkansas was beginning to demonstrate that the conference had caught up to our quick-out and hitch pass game. This week, we used the pop pass to hit up the between the hashes and threw a few more square in plays over the deep middle. If I had to guess, Daboll is leaning on the analysts more than Kiffin. Not that Kiffin was ignoring them but simply that Daboll's pro experience is showing up in his ability to manage those guys and get good self-scouting.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
These kinds of games can be hard to analyze because the opponent's abject failure as a unit looms over everything you see.

I agree that really what we demonstrated in this game is that we are aware of our predictability in spots on offense and defense and we're letting the future opponents know we have alternatives that attack cheating towards those tendencies. That is refreshing because in years past it felt like this "self-awareness" needed a bye week to happen (more on offense than defense honestly). Instead, we're getting week-to-week offensive adjustments.

Last week I felt Arkansas was beginning to demonstrate that the conference had caught up to our quick-out and hitch pass game. This week, we used the pop pass to hit up the between the hashes and threw a few more square in plays over the deep middle. If I had to guess, Daboll is leaning on the analysts more than Kiffin. Not that Kiffin was ignoring them but simply that Daboll's pro experience is showing up in his ability to manage those guys and get good self-scouting.
It bodes well for the future. We don’t seem predicated on certain plays. The only hang up is it’s taking a while for those in game adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Yeah, I thought 15 yards from LOS, but then if you think about it, had he fumbled OOB on the sideline, we would have gotten the penalty marked from the spot of the fumble. If UT had recovered in the end zone it would have been different, but since it went OOB, it was ours.
That makes no sense. Absent a penalty, had he fumbled out of bounds, the play would’ve ended at the spot he lost the ball. Absent the penalty, a fumble through the end zone is a touchback.

Had it been a pass play resulting in an interception, the penalty would’ve been 15 from the previous spot, with Alabama retaining possession. That’s the better simile here I think. But this much seems certain to me: when referees, coaches, and announcers don’t know the rules of the game, the rules are too complex...

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess, for another great wrap-up. It is such a great time to be a Bama fan. To be so dominating against UT is awesome! LSU is playing much better. Looking forward to the next game. I am sure the team needs this week off to get ready for the stretch run. I know I do... :)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Once again we won in spite of ourselves. The first quarter was listless after Harris lite em up for a TD. Jalen and his receivers didn't mesh very well in the 1st half. The Refs did their best to keep Tennessee in the game too. If I had to guess I'd say Coach Saban built a fire under our guys at halftime. In the second half, after our 1st score... The Tennessee team was like their coach... Dead man walking...
Did I mention... I HATE TENNESSEE.
Mediocre Coach, Mediocre Team.
We kicked Ole Smoky off our porch without putting forth any effort.
On the plus side we got valuable experience for our 2s,3s,4s, and 5s. PRICELESS.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Will Cam Sims win any kind of Bull Fighter award from Coach Saban on the way he Oh Layed on the interception return?
Sims was running full speed and got pushed in the back just before he could make the tackle/shove out of bounds. Could have been called block in the back if anything.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Of course he was.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Will Cam Sims win any kind of Bull Fighter award from Coach Saban on the way he Oh Layed on the interception return?
Curles crew missed two egregious calls Saturday, and both would have been to Alabama's benefit (sorry, Tennessee): The block in the back on Marks' punt return (there was none), and eating the flag on the pick-six. Sims got shoved in the back.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If you ever start to feel sorry for them, just think about how they behave when they are winning.
You're absolutely right.

But you also have to remember: those of us old enough to have full and first-hand understanding of what you're talking about are dang few and dying fast.

Blessedly, no blue font.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
That makes no sense. Absent a penalty, had he fumbled out of bounds, the play would’ve ended at the spot he lost the ball. Absent the penalty, a fumble through the end zone is a touchback.

Had it been a pass play resulting in an interception, the penalty would’ve been 15 from the previous spot, with Alabama retaining possession. That’s the better simile here I think. But this much seems certain to me: when referees, coaches, and announcers don’t know the rules of the game, the rules are too complex...

I disagree. They aren't too complex. That was​ a very rare scenario. Should TN have gotten possession after that egregious hands to the face? No!!! Should we have given up those yards? No!!!! (A 5-star, 4th yr DL is just trying to stop the play by any means) In essence, it was a free play, like an offsides that didn't make it to the level of encroachment, but it is considered a Personal Foul, which by rule is enforced from the end of "The Run". That may be part of the reason the refs use that verbiage? Fortunately there was a rule to address it.

What happens if a punt is caught by the returner, who subsequently fumbles it and it is picked up by a player from the kicking team who fumbles it back to a member of the receiving team who picks it up, tries to make a move, runs back into their end zone and is tackled? Meanwhile, in coverage, while the ball is being fumbled between the two teams (no one has possession), there is an illegal hands to the face on the kicking team? What is the call? Who gets possession and where?

I don't know what should happen. Nor should I, even as a guy that watches 15-20 full games a week (mostly FBS, some NFL). I can't recall that ever happening.

Luckily, the guys the refs are listening to on the headsets at the SEC office know ALL the rules and have a well tabbed rulebook on hand to tell them what to do.

Just because we haven't seen it doesn't make it wrong or too complex. It was a pretty complex situation that needed a complex rule. If the the viles want to complain, they should address all grievances to:

Coach Butch Jones
Football Program
The University of Tennessee Athletic Dept.
ATTN: Jonathan Kongbo
Knoxville, TN 37996

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.