News Article: GameDay Final: Misery loves company, and there was plenty of it in Week 8

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
All I can say to this is..... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

"October is the month of discontent for teams whose fortunes have taken a turn for the worse. Coaches become agitated, fans get despondent and, all of a sudden, players on mediocre teams celebrate cutting a deficit to three touchdowns by flipping off the opposing team's fans.

And that's just Tennessee."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal102117/the-best-stuff-week-8

There's even a soon-to-be classic photo thrown in:

:)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
What amazes me is that any UT fan actually traveled all the way to Tuscaloosa to get what they had to know was going to be a beating. Can we call them masochists?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
What amazes me is that any UT fan actually traveled all the way to Tuscaloosa to get what they had to know was going to be a beating. Can we call them masochists?
I've thought about that. Tuscaloosa is approximately a 5-hour drive from here, so why did they make the trip for an almost guaranteed beatdown?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I just love the fact that Tennessee has a tradition of fans wearing paper bags over their heads at games because they are ashamed to be seen with their team. What kind of loser program has a tradition that revolves specifically around being mediocre lol.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I call any fan who would do this among the best fans on the planet. Any front runner can go watch their team win.

tidegrandpa

All-American
2 years ago I offered leave south Texas, pick up my LSU fan brother in Shreveport, drive us to T-Town for LSU-Bama, spring for hotel and gas.

All he had to do was pay for his ticket and food, he replied "I ain't riding that whole way to see y'all whip our a_s".

Sometime I wondered if we had different parents.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
If they are such great fans, why bring a bag knowing you are going co cover your face with it. I love Bama and never gave up on them in the down years, but never spent a load of money to go 500 miles to see them get killed. I went to home games and watched road games on TV for free. YOU want to get better empty the stadium, schools get movingto replace losers with winners whenit costs them money. NO matter how big a fan, it is just stupid to buy a ticket buy gas and drive 5 hrs to see them killed. You want the adminto fire butch, show them you will not accept being this big a loser.If they had a chance I get it, upsets happen, but really ticket gas and 5 hrs each way with bag on the head for this game?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
If they are such great fans, why bring a bag knowing you are going co cover your face with it. I love Bama and never gave up on them in the down years, but never spent a load of money to go 500 miles to see them get killed. I went to home games and watched road games on TV for free. YOU want to get better empty the stadium, schools get movingto replace losers with winners whenit costs them money. NO matter how big a fan, it is just stupid to buy a ticket buy gas and drive 5 hrs to see them killed. You want the adminto fire butch, show them you will not accept being this big a loser.If they had a chance I get it, upsets happen, but really ticket gas and 5 hrs each way with bag on the head for this game?
I agree totally. Believe me, I would love to see Butch coach there for the next 20 years, as long as he turns in a similar performance every year, meaning poor to mediocre.

However.... if UT fans really want change, they're going to have to vote with their feet by not buying tickets, not going to games, not buying merchandise, etc..... Money talks, and when the money supply starts drying up, they'll get a clue.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have spent thousands of dollars supporting my friends, family and sports programs, even when they had zero chance of winning a game - especially when they had zero chance of winning. Front runners are only there when things are going well. Real fans will pay to support those that they love no matter what - and this includes their school.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I have spent thousands of dollars supporting my friends, family and sports programs, even when they had zero chance of winning a game - especially when they had zero chance of winning. Front runners are only there when things are going well. Real fans will pay to support those that they love no matter what - and this includes their school.
Kind of like the 9 people who post on the hoops board ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well I hope their real fans never see anything better than Butch and Derek for the rest of their lives, and there are few “real” fans in future generations.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well I hope their real fans never see anything better than Butch and Derek for the rest of their lives, and there are few “real” fans in future generations.
Understand, I am not talking about TN fans - I am talking about any fans of any college program. Support your team at all times or you are a front runner.

I get voting with your feet with the NFL, but not college or high school.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Understand, I am not talking about TN fans .
Well also understand that there is a lot of bad blood between Bama and Tennessee fans, and despite an 11 year streak many Bama fans still haven't let the fact that Fulmer went out of his way to actually destroy our program go. And these "real" Tennessee fans applauded him for doing it. They were in many ways worse than Auburn fans from 1995- 2009. Yeah Auburn boosters tried with Jelks, but they never succeeded plus it wasn’t Pat Dye leading the charge on it over a random recruit from Memphis. Many outsiders and younger fans just don’t get how toxic the tsio really is.

So saying this when talking about these "real" Tennessee fans:

I call any fan who would do this among the best fans on the planet. Any front runner can go watch their team win.
probably isn't going to be taken well without context.

But to your argument...

I am talking about any fans of any college program. Support your team
at all times or you are a front runner.

Okay. But you can just as well support your team from the couch and put your ticket up for sale when you know its not worth driving 500 miles to get heckled and beaten like a dog. Heck I will never go to a road game in which I think there is a good or equal chance of losing ever again after last year's Ole Miss game. So where are you drawing the line of what a real fan is?

I get voting with your feet with the NFL, but not college or high
school.

High school no

college yes. Ask Chizik in 2012. The guy won a championship 2 years earlier.

At the end of the day no one wants to be bare in the pockets and bare in the stands on national tv. There are exceptions to the latter when there isn't a huge fanbase (Miami) or the time of the game (11:00 breakfast games or race weekends), but when you start seeing stadiums bare at traditional powers and teams that are usually in competition then you know that the coach needs to go.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.