Rich men and sexual harassment: a catch-all thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Mike Dubose? His may have been just an affair. But tried to cover it up nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
i know there were those. but there were (and still are) a scary number that are all in.
A very small percentage are still all in and it’s decreasing every week. Disapproval rating up to 56% this week. That’s a yuge number.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A very small percentage are still all in and it’s decreasing every week. Disapproval rating up to 56% this week. That’s a yuge number.

his approval numbers have been bouncing around the mid-30s since march or so. and his approval among republicans is still 80% as his has been since about the same time.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
George HW is pushing 90 and in a wheel chair. I doubt he is in full control of his thoughts/emotions. A family friend's mother is 90 and in a care home. She is convinced the nurse is trying to rob her blind.
If Heather Lind was wearing one of those Push-up outfits like she wore in Turn: American Spies, I wouldn't be in full control of my thoughts/emotions either.

There is no telling what Bush actually did to get this complaint.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Washington Examiner

This one really surprised me, but it seems that he is admitting to her accusations.
I don't see any admission of anything. He apologized if a joke he told was offensive, not for anything else. And we don't know the joke and I bet he doesn't even remember which joke he told. I don't think it's fair to jump to the conclusion he is admitting sexual assault just because his sense of decency leads him to offer the apology for something unintended, and something he said in front of his wife. As for the sexual assault itself, the article says this...

"When I got the chance to meet George H. W. Bush four years ago to promote a historical television show I was working on, he sexually assaulted me while I was posing for a similar photo," Lind wrote, using the "Me Too" hashtag sparked by the ongoing Harvey Weinstein-Hollywood controversy. "He didn't shake my hand," Lind continued. "He touched me from behind from his wheelchair with his wife Barbara Bush by his side. He told me a dirty joke. And then, all the while being photographed, touched me again."

Barbara Bush "rolled her eyes as if to say 'not again'" in response to the encounter and that a security guard told her she "shouldn't have stood next to him for the photo," Lind wrote.
"My fellow cast mates and producers helped me that day and continue to support me," she added. "I am grateful for the bravery of other women who have spoken up and written about their experiences."
So she calls being touched "sexual assault". Whatever he did, it was in front of his wife and everyone else, who shrugged it off. Here's the photo.

I mean, really, yeah, his left hand is not quite visible, but sexual assault? It's possible I guess. I guess. Harvey Weinstein this is not.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
his approval numbers have been bouncing around the mid-30s since march or so. and his approval among republicans is still 80% as his has been since about the same time.
It’s @ 38%. He’s dropping large percentage points in the demographics that largely made up his base (12 points among one; 8 in another).

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...approval-rating-hits-new-low-in-fox-news-poll

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/donald-trump-support-key-republican-voters

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It’s @ 38%. He’s dropping large percentage points in the demographics that largely made up his base (12 points among one; 8 in another).

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...approval-rating-hits-new-low-in-fox-news-poll

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/donald-trump-support-key-republican-voters

thanks, i was using the gallup tracking poll which has been pretty stable since spring (mid to high 30's approval with low 80's republican approval). the main number i am focused on is the consistent 80+ support from republicans. i'm not going to consider his support slipping until that # starts going down

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So what is sexual assault? Is grabbing someone's butt sexual assault? Is it touching them on the back or shoulder? When I think of sexual assault and maybe I'm old school, unfortunately, I think of rape or attempted rape. I guess in this case of 41, I just think of him as a dirty old man, but not trying to impose his brute force lust on someone. It isn't right, but is it sexual assault?

I don't know...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
So what is sexual assault? Is grabbing someone's butt sexual assault? Is it touching them on the back or shoulder? When I think of sexual assault and maybe I'm old school, unfortunately, I think of rape or attempted rape. I guess in this case of 41, I just think of him as a dirty old man, but not trying to impose his brute force lust on someone. It isn't right, but is it sexual assault?

I don't know...
Pinching, slapping, stroking, or squeezing someone’s butt is a bit personal in my opinion. Repeatedly doing such to a person can make the matter much worse. There really is no social, non-sports context where this would be considered normal. Sports is the only context where assslapping has been considered normal, but even in that context, I don’t find it necessary.

Whether or not touching someone on the arm or shoulder could be harassment probably depends on what accompanies the touching. For example, the toucher’s words could change the meaning of the touch.

For me, I don’t mind if someone touches my arm, shoulder, or back as long as I know the individual and the context is appropriate. Even at work it’s not a problem for me because the people I work with are some of my best friends. Such touches generally accompany camaraderie.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I would think there needs to be a clearer definition between harassment and assault. I've had to deal with some sexual harassment issues of one employee toward another recently and it cost us an employee because of unwanted advances, unprofessional comments, etc.

I'm not excusing 41's behavior, I just wonder if there is a clearer delineation between an actual "assault" v. harassment. In his case it seems to be a little more gray. An inappropriate remark, followed by a "pat" on the butt.

Stupid, maybe a little senile, maybe using his age as an excuse...I don't know.

As for Weinstein. He's an outright predator and needs to be put down.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Sexual harassment? Yes. Sexual assault? No.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I would think there needs to be a clearer definition between harassment and assault. I've had to deal with some sexual harassment issues of one employee toward another recently and it cost us an employee because of unwanted advances, unprofessional comments, etc.

I'm not excusing 41's behavior, I just wonder if there is a clearer delineation between an actual "assault" v. harassment. In his case it seems to be a little more gray. An inappropriate remark, followed by a "pat" on the butt.

Stupid, maybe a little senile, maybe using his age as an excuse...I don't know.

As for Weinstein. He's an outright predator and needs to be put down.
The issue to me lies with the definition of assault. Seems that simply touching someone is sometimes considered assault, which seems a bit extreme to me. A clearer definition of assault would involve physical, forcible restraint. It’s one thing to lean over and kiss a girl on the cheek, which may be considered assault under the law; but it’s another thing to grab a girl forcibly, restrain her from flight, and kiss her on the cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.