Link: Florida coach Jim McElwain says family, players getting death threats

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
CJM is a pretty good coach. Truth is you can't win em all.
(Even if your Alabama)
Idiot Gators will make it attractive for CJM to take another job.
Gators will wind up with somebody like Gus... (They deserve it)
The reality is that the BEST thing Florida could do right now is rally behind this team - come what may - and support their coach. If they unload Coach Mac this winter - OR if he leaves for "greener" (less unrealistic) pastures, they will be making their THIRD Coach Hire in Seven? years?

At what point do top candidates start to look at a job and wonder if its a good as its made out to be?

Remember - When Spurrier arrived, FRU and Miami were riding high. But when they hired Meyer, NOT SO MUCH. Diddy Bowden was in the Twilight of his career, and it was right around that time that Miami unloaded Coker and began the Randy Shannon tenure - which was no great shakes. The State of Florida was ripe for the taking, and Meyer Cleaned Up on in state talent right from the start.

That's 180 degrees opposite of the situation now. Today, Florida is competing with a Saban protege in Tally - and even though Jim-Blo is having a rough year, he's still recruiting lights out. And now you have "Saint Mark" Richt bringing Miami back to life. PLUS you have Saban (and Saban-lite at UGA) raiding Florida talent.

UF is not the ripe "Cherry" of a job that it was in 2004/05 when Urban was hired, or even the job it was 3 years ago when Coach Mac started.

They MIGHT just be surprised at the LACK of interest their top targets might show, IF the job were to come open.

IMO - without the freak injuries and suspensions they've had the past few years they'd have had very competitive teams.

I just don't think its a ALL Certain that they could upgrade the HC position over what they have right now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The reality is that the BEST thing Florida could do right now is rally behind this team - come what may - and support their coach.
Yup. I don't think mane (if any) coaches could be successful with what CJM has had to deal with - between injuries and suspensions, his team has been gutted three years in a row.

That said, the man can coach - zero question - but it's starting to feel like he's just not the right fit for UF.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yup. I don't think mane (if any) coaches could be successful with what CJM has had to deal with - between injuries and suspensions, his team has been gutted three years in a row.

That said, the man can coach - zero question - but it's starting to feel like he's just not the right fit for UF.
If he got rid of Nuss then he probably would be okay. But take into account that injuries and sanctions didn’t fly for Shula. At some point the excuses are going to run out, and the questions of quality of depth and being predictable on offense are going to bite him.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If you want a different take.

https://n.rivals.com

Rivals has Tennessee #7 and Florida #8.
Hey, I was just answering your question when you posted "What recruiting?"

Just out of curiosity......did you know that Florida was doing so well with next year's class (#1 or #2 depending on which source we both posted) when you posted your comment?

No big deal if you didn't. To be honest....there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that most fans don't realize.

And I'm not pointing a finger at you - look at all the uninformed Gator "fans" who are bagging on Florida's coaching staff - when in reality, under the circumstances, Florida's coaching staff should be awarded a medal for keeping the team competitive this season

Neither has Florida with a single 5 star. We both know Bama in the end will be 1-5 and Florida under Mac is going to probably be out of the top 10. The guy hasn’t recruited well at all at Florida and that is a fact.
Bama should finish ahead of Florida and I would be surprised if they didn't. They have more stability than any other program in the SEC and possibly in the entire country. That means a lot to a high school recruit. Florida on the other hand has had terrible stability issues, but they are improving, hence the improvement in recruiting. The new assistant coach hires Mac made in the off season are paying dividends. But you don't hear that mentioned much these days.

No that doesn’t mean he deserves death threats, but at the same time bringing it to light has a “I'm trying to keep my job” kinda feel to it. I bet you CNS gets them every day of the week with as many people who really hate Bama.
The comment he made about death threats (I believe) was in response to a reporter asking if the coaches are getting any credit for the work they are doing, considering the players missing on the depth chart. I'd have to go back and listen to that part of the presser - I could be wrong. In any event, I wholeheartedly agree...no coaches should ever receive death threats. That is beyond ridiculous and extremely sick. But doesn't surprise me, given the mentality of certain "so-called" fans of the game.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Didn't read all posts but enough to see that some might lean toward the manufacture of the threat(s). First off, unless I'm totally wrong, CJM isn't the kinda coach to manufacture a deflection from the pressing issues. And in this day and age of the "digital footprint" I'd think once the threat(s) were initially reported the university police and probable PI's would have been dispatched to verify accordingly. Then, and only then, would the events been made public. And based on the ridiculous rogue fandom of some people I wouldn't doubt the reality of a threat AT ALL.

Sad. Truly sad.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With Dan Mullins relationship with the AD, he will be the next head coach at UF.
It wouldn’t surprise me. I think with Strong and Kiffin having early success in the state, Frost and Richt building powers, and Jimbo still recruiting very well it is troubleling a lot of Gator fans at the success around them.

If they fire Mac then Mullen and Frost are probably #1 and #2 on their list.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It wouldn’t surprise me. I think with Strong and Kiffin having early success in the state, Frost and Richt building powers, and Jimbo still recruiting very well it is troubleling a lot of Gator fans at the success around them.

If they fire Mac then Mullen and Frost are probably #1 and #2 on their list.
It's funny I've heard people constantly link Scott Frost to Nebraska -- I think he's far more likely to wait out the UF job. He's emphasized recruiting base and speed over and over when discussing why he picked UCF. If McElwain goes I think Frost could be the guy.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Some buzz on a couple sites about Mac wanting out now. Depending on a couple things (one being how the game ends up on Saturday) this could happen as early as Sunday. I am shocked! Nothing firm has appeared...just chatter based on some insider's information.

But check out this twitter pic from Mac's wife.....(hint: those aren't Gator hats in the pic!) :(

Mac & Blondie‏ @macandblondie

The best evenings are spent with family and a home-cooked meal.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My thing is, even IF threats were really made, why go public with it? The more prudent thing to do would be to turn over all information to the proper authorities, notify the UF administration, and then keep quiet/maintain confidentiality on the matter while it is investigated. Mac has to know that, and that’s why I’m a little suspicious about all of this.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just sayin': https://www.seccountry.com/florida/espn-florida-administrators-discussing-firing-jim-mcelwain

After failing to find any evidence to substantiate claims made by McElwain this week that family and players received death threats, Florida administrators have worked to see if McElwain’s allegations were enough to relieve the university from paying McElwain’s full buyout of $12.9 million if he were to be fired.

Sources told ESPN that they believe the university has enough cause to fire McElwain without having to pay his buyout. Sources also said that if McElwain were to be relieved of his duties, defensive coordinator Randy Shannon would be asked to be the team’s interim coach.
Spidey sense...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Some buzz on a couple sites about Mac wanting out now. Depending on a couple things (one being how the game ends up on Saturday) this could happen as early as Sunday. I am shocked! Nothing firm has appeared...just chatter based on some insider's information.

But check out this twitter pic from Mac's wife.....(hint: those aren't Gator hats in the pic!) :(

Mac & Blondie‏ @macandblondie

The best evenings are spent with family and a home-cooked meal.

Mac to Nebraska would be a win-win for everyone involved if it’s this bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
No one is this stupid to post something like this unless you want to antagonize. If relieved of his duties with no buyout that means Nebraska doesn't have to invest in his buyout. This and pseudo death threat allegations looks like an orchestration to me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.