Why isn't Jalen on more top QB lists this year?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He did say that he believes Alabama is still the best team in the country, but the resume of the Crimson Tide is not quite as strong at this point.
Both of those statements are true, but his other comments and the tone of his comments, conveyed a very one-sided message. I was especially amazed and disappointed by his uneducated evaluation of Jalen. Even most of his critics would admit that he has improved as a passer from last year. Even we football simpletons can plainly see that. But he made it clear that he had not improved one little bit. Preposterous.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Both of those statements are true, but his other comments and the tone of his comments, conveyed a very one-sided message. I was especially amazed and disappointed by his uneducated evaluation of Jalen. Even most of his critics would admit that he has improved as a passer from last year. Even we football simpletons can plainly see that. But he made it clear that he had not improved one little bit. Preposterous.
bama has been on top for a decade now. a bama guy negging us is a very popular draw

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I would argue Greg goes out of his way to make sure people don't call him a homer and ends up making stupid comments.

A normal analyst: "Alabama is one of the best teams in the nation. Record shows it, and we can see it on the field."

Greg: "I'm not sure. Who have they beaten?"
I think when Greg first started out in broadcasting, he had a bad habit of saying "we" when referring to Alabama and somebody must have told him so and now he goes out of his way to look impartial

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I'm pretty use to Greg's removing himself from being a Bama Homer which I agree is necessary in his field, like BamainBham said, I was taken back by his overall doom and gloom of the qb play.
Have you guys not figured it out yet?????? It is as plain as the nose on your face. NICK called him and threatend him, bash us, for the teams own good. Start that rat poison stuff greg and you will be banned from returning to campus got it??? I would not put it past Nick to do this kind of stuff, telling explayers do not feed the news beast. Keep it down home cuzz. For the good of the team. If Nick a sked nice and explained, I bet every former Bama player would trash talk us for the good of the team. Makes perfect sense. Nick leaves nothing to chance hehe As players they know how praise can inflate egos. As a Bama player you would listen to former player before a news guy, the former players lived it.Not to mention if former players hinted their teams were really better, might inspire some to prove them wrong. I would not put this past Nick hehe

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Have you guys not figured it out yet?????? It is as plain as the nose on your face. NICK called him and threatend him, bash us, for the teams own good. Start that rat poison stuff greg and you will be banned from returning to campus got it??? I would not put it past Nick to do this kind of stuff, telling explayers do not feed the news beast. Keep it down home cuzz. For the good of the team. If Nick a sked nice and explained, I bet every former Bama player would trash talk us for the good of the team. Makes perfect sense. Nick leaves nothing to chance hehe As players they know how praise can inflate egos. As a Bama player you would listen to former player before a news guy, the former players lived it.Not to mention if former players hinted their teams were really better, might inspire some to prove them wrong. I would not put this past Nick hehe
I agree with previous posters in that it's Greg just trying a little too hard not to be bias

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What changed to make his national image better? His stats cannot have gotten that much better from one game. I agree that he belongs in the conversation because all he does is win. I just know the heisman trophy likes stats.
If Alabama keeps winning and the other guys keep playing on teams taking losses, his odds will improve. But he needs a lot of other teams to lose for him to rally win it, IMO. But it is great to see him and DH getting into the conversation.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I like Greg and think he does a good job overall. It really does not matter what he thinks of Jalen because in the end, we will keep posting the wins.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Does anyone have a video link to these comments by Greg? I'm just curious to hear how he said what he said and what his body language was in saying it.

I know he ruffles a few people's feathers from time to time but I've always really liked him. Yeah he goes a little to far trying to remain impartial but like DzynKing says above... Greg did use to say 'we' a lot on accident when he 1st started appearing on TV. Barrett Jones has been struggling with the same thing.

I mean c'mon you guys know they both bleed Crimson. Greg is still new to this and probably trying to find the balance. You notice he's moving up the ladder lately. Has his own weekly show with Marcus Spears and is doing Color/Analyst roles in higher profile games than before. I'm sure the further his career progresses the more comfortable he will be saying positives things about us without fear of sounding too homer-ish.

Lastly even though these comments specifically sound pretty 'dumb'.....we know Greg is extremely sharp. He's always had a good relationship with CNS too....maybe Greg is being a little wily to not assist in the generous helpings of Rat-Poison going around. :wink:

I just hope we don't ever treat Greg how Ohio State fans have reacted to Herbstreit. Neither of them have ever really said anything grossly inflammatory towards their Alma Mater as far as I remember.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What changed to make his national image better? His stats cannot have gotten that much better from one game. I agree that he belongs in the conversation because all he does is win. I just know the heisman trophy likes stats.
I think part of it is just consistency. Not trying to compare them as players, but I remember when Jay Barker became a Heisman candidate. It wasn't because he was putting up eye popping numbers, he just kept putting his team in a position to win.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU game is going to be huge for Jalen. Best opponent we've played since the opener and it will be in primetime. He'll get more respect with a big game in two Saturdays.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Does anyone have a video link to these comment by Greg? I'm just curious to hear how he said what he said and what his body language was in saying it.

I know he ruffles a few people's feathers from time to time but I've always really liked him. Yeah he goes a little to far trying to remain impartial but like DzynKing says above... Greg did use to say 'we' a lot on accident when he 1st started appearing on TV. Barrett Jones has been struggling with the same thing.

I mean c'mon you guys know they both bleed Crimson. Greg is still new to this and probably trying to find the balance. You notice he's moving up the ladder lately. Has his own weekly show with Marcus Spears and is doing Color/Analyst roles in higher profile games than before. I'm sure the further his career progresses the more comfortable he will be saying positives things about us without fear of sounding too homer-ish.

Lastly even though these comments specifically sound pretty 'dumb'.....we know Greg is extremely sharp. He's always had a good relationship with CNS too....maybe Greg is being a little wily to not assist in the generous helpings of Rat-Poison going around. :wink:

I just hope we don't ever treat Greg how Ohio State fans have reacted to Herbstreit. Neither of them have ever really said anything grossly inflammatory towards their Alma Mater as far as I remember.
Here is the audio Link: http://embeds.audioboom.com/publish...ege football and the future ahead for the SEC

then click on the "Greg McElroy..." link and it will play. The first 8 min is primarily about Bama. He repeats his concern about Jalen and the passing game beginning at the 7:20 mark for about 15 seconds. Again he says he has seen no improvement in Jalen from a passing standpoint; he is welcome to his opinion but that statement is patently false. His statement that Jalen's 20+ down field passing rate is 3-21 could possibly be true but IMO is questionable since I have seen a table showing he is 13-36 on passes of 15+, tied with Austin Allen for 7th in the SEC. That would mean he is 10-15 on passes 15-20 yards. The gut feel says 3-21 is not right, but even if it is, IMO it is misleading.

His performance was not scandalous, but it conveyed a most negative view on things.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I was listening to the round table yesterday and Greg McElroy was on. I was kind of surprised to hear him say "I've seen no improvement what so ever in Jalens passing game"....then he went on to say "I don't know what to make of Alabama because they haven't played anyone yet so I don't know how good they really are." He's always been honest with his thoughts so maybe I shouldn't be that surprised but he's definitely entitled to them. Rtr
Okay I FINALLY found this sound bite and that is NOT what Greg said. He said 'Jalen still didn't look comfortable going through progressions'.

At times that is true.... but not nessasarily Jalen's fault because he often is under a lot of pressure and working plays with slow developing routes imo.

At any rate Gmac is taking some brutally unwarranted heat for his comments. He continually says we are and should be #1 and even says he has to constantly defend Alabama around the office with his colleagues who are 'Alabama antagonists' with 'Alabama Fatigue'.

I suggest everyone listen to the first 3 minutes to hear what Greg REALLY said instead of word of mouth misquotes. The dude is being battered on Twitter from neckbeard fans right now. It's embarrassing.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/former-alabama-qb-greg-mcelroy-crimson-tide-beaten

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Does anyone have a video link to these comments by Greg? I'm just curious to hear how he said what he said and what his body language was in saying it.

I don't think anyone is saying Greg doesn't bleed Crimson nor is anyone being harsh on Greg or treating him in a negative manner. I think all Bama fans have a special place in their hearts for him. I think we're just talking about an over critical point of view, that's all. No one is questioning his loyalty just discussing some comments he made.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Okay I FINALLY found this sound bite and that is NOT what Greg said. He said 'Jalen still didn't look comfortable going through progressions'.

At times that is true.... but not nessasarily Jalen's fault because he often is under a lot of pressure and working plays with slow developing routes imo.

At any rate Gmac is taking some brutally unwarranted heat for his comments. He continually says we are and should be #1 and even says he has to constantly defend Alabama around the office with his colleagues who are 'Alabama antagonists' with 'Alabama Fatigue'.

I suggest everyone listen to the first 3 minutes to hear what Greg REALLY said instead of word of mouth misquotes. The dude is being battered on Twitter from neckbeard fans right now. It's embarrassing.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/former-alabama-qb-greg-mcelroy-crimson-tide-beaten
Greg did say that in the first three minutes, but he also goes on to say "Jalen has shown no progression from last year" that's in the later part of the interview. Again, he's welcome to his opinion and he may have a good reason for it. I just think Jalen has shown improvement from last year.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I didn't misquote anything and would really appreciate you listening to the whole interview before highlighting my post and stating people are misquoting. BamainBham has broken down the time segment for everyone in his previous post

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Greg did say that in the first three minutes, but he also goes on to say "Jalen has shown no progression from last year" that's in the later part of the interview. Again, he's welcome to his opinion and he may have a good reason for it. I just think Jalen has shown improvement from last year.
My apologies he does say that later.... but he then quantifies it in regards to downfield passing and brings up the 3 of 21 stat on passes that travel 20+ yards which was almost dead last among P5 QB's. He's more or less just saying it's a concern going forward facing a situation where we are forced into being a passing threat deep.

But he praises the defense, the running game, and Jalen's positive contributions especially within the running game ....but says there is still a lot of room for improvement in the passing game. Which is true statistically.

I dunno maybe he could have worded it better but I don't think he's throwing anyone under the bus. He's just highlighting a weak point on paper that we will probably have to overcome at some point on the road to a championship.

I mean he would know honestly. Greg couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in October 2009. But then in Nov-Dec something clicked and he ripped LSU, MSU, AU and FLA up. If he doesn't do that we don't win a Title in 2009.

If/when we face a big time defense that discombobulates our running game in 2017 and forces us to beat them through the air we will have to prove we can do it. It could be the difference in winning or not winning a title. He's not completely out of bounds or anything.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Here is the audio Link: http://embeds.audioboom.com/publish...ege football and the future ahead for the SEC

then click on the "Greg McElroy..." link and it will play. The first 8 min is primarily about Bama. He repeats his concern about Jalen and the passing game beginning at the 7:20 mark for about 15 seconds. Again he says he has seen no improvement in Jalen from a passing standpoint; he is welcome to his opinion but that statement is patently false. His statement that Jalen's 20+ down field passing rate is 3-21 could possibly be true but IMO is questionable since I have seen a table showing he is 13-36 on passes of 15+, tied with Austin Allen for 7th in the SEC. That would mean he is 10-15 on passes 15-20 yards. The gut feel says 3-21 is not right, but even if it is, IMO it is misleading.

His performance was not scandalous, but it conveyed a most negative view on things.
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard it. Now that I have, I'm really surprised at the uproar. Referring to that as "most negative" doesn't seem right at all to me.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I didn't misquote anything and would really appreciate you listening to the whole interview before highlighting my post and stating people are misquoting. BamainBham has broken down the time segment for everyone in his previous post
I did and again I apologize. I think everyone needs to listen to it and not get so upset though. He's praising us more than criticizing. He's mainly saying 'this is people's concern with Alabama's resume.....I may or may not agree but on paper they have a point....but I still defend my team around the office'.

I didn't mean to target you though I'm sorry. I just got a little worked up myself when I saw what people were saying on Greg's Twitter and the SEC network FB comments sections. People are bashing him on a personal level and showing the worst side of 'fandom'.

The dude loves Alabama and is just trying to be objective and people are calling him a bum game-manager QB who couldn't hack it in the NFL and 'he needs to remember who made him'. It's ridiculous in places other than here right now.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
You didn't literally misquote him but you did snip a quote from context and in my opinion made it seem worse than it really was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.