Why isn't Jalen on more top QB lists this year?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
A few sites list their best QB's so far and not one listing Jalen. His stats are not that great, but his record and efficiency are awesome. I guess today the biggest point of interest is stats, even if blown up by real weak defenses. Glad we did not recruit stat master but win master. Am I just a bama homer or is there more to a great QB than pass stats? According to a few articles I have seen they judge greatness only by stats. To me this is why a heisman has totally lost all meaning to me. It is supposed to be for best player, not best stats. I would take Jalen over any of those guys in a NC game when game is on the line. Easy to make passes to wide open guys in crap games. Can any do tht in tight coverage when a big game is on the line. For Example the USC QB they all raved for weeks about, looked like bad HS QB vs Penn St defense. First real defense they faced. Not many west coast teams even try to cover. Most highlights on weekend show wide open guys that any decent QB could hit. I guess they do not factor in competition to grading these so called great QB's. Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine hehe. Like running backs running for 300 yds on div 2 teams. I am not impressed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Many lists from sports about best QB's thus far

Alabama players either get too much credit or not enough credit because they play for Alabama. Get used to it. It comes with winning. Every Alabama player is surrounded by other great players.

Are Alabama RBs the best in the country, or are they running behind the best o-line in the country?

Did Alabama win 14 games last year because Jalen was the QB, or did Jalen win 14 games last year because he played QB for Alabama?

It is easy to identify great players on weak teams - much harder to decide when a player is on a team like yours.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Alabama players either get too much credit or not enough credit because they play for Alabama. Get used to it. It comes with winning. Every Alabama player is surrounded by other great players.

Are Alabama RBs the best in the country, or are they running behind the best o-line in the country?

Did Alabama win 14 games last year because Jalen was the QB, or did Jalen win 14 games last year because he played QB for Alabama?

It is easy to identify great players on weak teams - much harder to decide when a player is on a team like yours.
Yea this basically sums it up but I would add position is part of it.

QBs tend to get less credit then they deserve while here because they are playing with great talent around them. RBs tend to get too much credit because OL run blocking is an underrated part of the game.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

It's kinda hard to get the credit you deserve when you and your team are so good you only play a half a game. I honestly don't think there is anyone in the SEC I would trade for him at QB.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Hurts is not even the best QB on the team...

Tagovailoa QB rating of 178.19; Hurts 149.29 oops, I think I just helped prove your point.:smile:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Hurts is not even the best QB on the team...

Tagovailoa QB rating of 178.19; Hurts 149.29 oops, I think I just helped prove your point.:smile:
In all seriousness, that does affect how he is perceived. Jalen is very good and getting better and Tua is ahead of where Jalen was as a freshman as far as throwing the football. We are much better off at the position than last year and maybe even several years.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Our balanced offense spreads the wealth so not one component stands out over the other..If a defense keys on stopping the run, Hurts will burn them passing the ball, then we will pound the ball if they key on our passing game..

It has to drive opposing DC's crazy cause our offense hasn't been shut down this year & it gets better each game we play..Scary thought..

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I'm confused about the USC QB struggling against the Penn State defense. Maybe I didn't read that right.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Much better than I could say it but was thinking something along those lines. When enough people say you're a game manager and a running back who throws on occasion, then everyone starts believing it. I do find it funny how most national pundits who critique Bama seem to have never watched an entire Bama game. Same goes for critics of other teams as well.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Sure. there's more to a QB than great pass stats but stats are all sportswriters go by. There's no stat like leadership rating. Ability to perform in a clutch situation also cannot be measured by a number. All they see is that we were ranked #82 last season in passing yards and so far this season we are ranked #84 so they reach a conclusion that Jalen is not a good QB. Passing numbers sometimes come down to coaching philosophy instead of QB ability. Coach Saban believes in a balanced offense and strong defense. He is not a coach who would ever rely almost exclusively on the pass, even if he had the best QB in the nation.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A few sites list their best QB's so far and not one listing Jalen. His stats are not that great, but his record and efficiency are awesome. I guess today the biggest point of interest is stats, even if blown up by real weak defenses. Glad we did not recruit stat master but win master. Am I just a bama homer oris there more to a great QB than pass stats? According to a few articles I have steen they judge greatness only by stats. To me this is why a heisman has totally lost all meaning to me. It is supposed to be for best player, not best stats. I would take Jalen over any of those guys in a NC game when game is on the line. Easy to make passes to wide open guys in crap games. Can any do tht in tight coverage when a big game is on the line. For Example the USC QB they all raved for weeks about, looked like bad HS QB vs Penn St defense. First real defense they faced. Not many west coast teams even try to cover. Most highlights on weekend show wide open guys that any decent QB could hit. I guess they do not factor in competition to grading these so called great QB's. Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine hehe. Like running backs running for 300 yds on div 2 teams. I am not impressed.
Reading a lot of your posts, I would say that yes you are a Bama homer. If I might ask a question, why does it matter as long as the team wins?

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Jalen is a great leader but his passing game has some notable holes that count against being at the top. I am not going to rehash what everyone already has discussed ad nauseum, but to B1G's point, some of Jalen's weak points are covered because we have a great running game and he has a very good receiver corps, too. And he is a great runner, which is to his credit but is not exactly going to put one on a top QB list. He's more likely to win the Heisman than a best QB award. Like RG3 won the Heisman but nobody really thought he was a better QB than Luck.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Am I the only one confused by the thread title?
Takes some work sometimes when coming over to this forum from other ones ;-) Sometimes I think the OPs mean one thing and then the thread takes another turn elsewhere -- further confusing things. I do like this forum enforces the teaser titles though. That stuff is annoying.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

I think before it's said and done, you can look at Jalen as the most dominant QB to hit the SEC in years if not ever. Because of the consistent dominance of Bama it won't get the same coverage as a Tebow, whose arrival coincided with the turnaround of Urban's program. But Saban's success and consistency is in large due to his recruiting dominance, and Jalen is one of those elite prospects, and this is Jalen's team on the field.

He's only a true sophomore, but he's lead us to victory for every regular season game since he was in his first game as a true freshman, and yes it was his presence that changed that USC game into a beat down. He also scored the go ahead touchdown with minutes to go on his last possession of the National championship game (he was robbed of a historic moment due to a uncalled pick play). But without some key injuries to the defense towards the end of the year (Eddie and Shaun) and Bo's injury in the middle of the game, he'd already have a Undefeated national championship to his name, does have an undefeated SEC championship along with SEC offensive player of the year to his name as a freshman. He seems like the type of kid that is an extension of Coach Saban's focus, and wouldn't allow his previous success prevent him from doing it again.

This guy has 2.5 years of eligibility left. Is completely unselfish, and what he adds to the running game is pure dominance. I'm just ready to soak it up and enjoy it. Jalen is simply the man.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Takes some work sometimes when coming over to this forum from other ones ;-) Sometimes I think the OPs mean one thing and then the thread takes another turn elsewhere -- further confusing things. I do like this forum enforces the teaser titles though. That stuff is annoying.
We've always had a teaser title rule and enforced it. We've never had a thread drift rule, although we've occasionally pulled one back to the title topic, if the drift is a bit too far...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.