Center-Left thinktank goes on listening tour to confirm what they want to hear

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like they embraced what they wanted to hear and downplayed what they didn't, even when they set out with the intention to not do that.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Seems like they were intent on distilling out exactly what they wanted to find, leaving the rest in some deep barrel to be seen no more. Except it will be seen again. Day after day.

The middle 70 might have been true at one time. It might even still be true. But it seems to be shrinking.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
My god, that article strikes an obnoxious tone. The "elites" are doing "anthropological research", roughing it driving a cheap SUV (you know, like the natives) and checking out the exotic landscape (bales of hay in a field)... “Margaret Meads among the Samoans.” Makes me want to barf.

Edit... I think the writer is being obnoxious on purpose, mocking the "anthropologists". So I get it now; there's a certain scoffing going on.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“I had a very hard time with that meeting,” she finally said. “The longer the meeting went on, the more it started to feel to me like just another community that had isolated itself, and it was right and everybody else wasn’t, you know?”
Leftist nut from San Francisco claims middle America has isolated itself. Riiiiiiiiight.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The Atlantic: On Safari in Trump's America

This is a long read but I think it is properly plotted to make you scratch your head when the thinktank's report's findings.
it certainly does

what's funny is that I would be totally cool with this

a pragmatic, moderate, technocratic philosophy, socially liberal but pro-business and wary of big government
you know, if it were actually ever offered to me. I've never seen it, and it certainly doesn't describe Hillary in any way shape or form

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Leftist nut from San Francisco claims middle America has isolated itself.
This might be what she's getting at:

Viroqua, Wisconsin: 97% white, 0.6% black, 0.3% native, 0.7% asian, 0.4% other races; 1% hispanic/latino of any race.

San Francisco, California: 48% whites, 33% asian 6% black, 6% other races; 15% hispanic/latino of any race.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seems like they were intent on distilling out exactly what they wanted to find, leaving the rest in some deep barrel to be seen no more. Except it will be seen again. Day after day.

The middle 70 might have been true at one time. It might even still be true. But it seems to be shrinking.
Third-way democrats (Clintonites, neoliberals, whatever you want to call them) do not understand that it is NOT that people want centrism but that people want the personal circumstances that would engender a desire for status quo politics. What people want is comfort: opportunities for honest jobs, decent wages, a future for themselves and their family, etc. Sometimes that requires big government. Sometimes that requires standoffish government. Sometimes people's brains get rotted out by the 24hr news talking points but really I believe it all comes down to that desire for comfort. Centrism works well for a party when the vast majority of your constituents are comfortable. People aren't comfortable to the degree they were at our postwar peak that some of older voters grew up in and not even as good as the 1970s and 1980s when the middle class decline began to gain steam.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Viroqua, Wisconsin: 97% white, 0.6% black, 0.3% native, 0.7% asian, 0.4% other races; 1% hispanic/latino of any race.

San Francisco, California: 48% whites, 33% asian 6% black, 6% other races; 15% hispanic/latino of any race.
Has middle America really isolated itself? At some point was middle America some racially/ethnically/culturally diverse area before it isolated itself?

Very silly assertion.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

So, you read the article and came away with this conclusion? [emoji848]

That’s not even close. The author of piece nailed it here, “I wondered if any of the tourists from the coasts would be open-minded enough to absorb a reality that might cut against their preconceptions. Did Third Way and Zuckerberg and Huffpo and all the rest want to confront an angry and divided nation head-on, or would they settle for a series of earnest exchanges that left their core assumptions intact?”

Unfortunately, they settled for the last option. They learned that a majority of Americans don’t share their world view. Approximately 67 million people (Republicans & Libertarians) demonstrated at the polls that most of America have no interest in their “Third Way.” Add in another 1.1 million Americans who wrote in candidates that’s ~68 million voting Americans, many in middle America, who disagree with their left-centrist platform. Instead of seeing the diversity in our country they concluded these communities were isolating themselves & didn’t represent most of America. This was at best intellectually dishonest. Ignored the evidence and drew their own conclusions.

This whole tour was about ideology not demographics as you wrongly suggest. I understand those two things are not completely, mutually exclusive. They sought to gain an “understanding” across a large sample of people from several backgrounds. Even some who were Democrats.

To me, this shows yet again how a group connected to the DNC, pumping them information is woefully disconnected from most of America. Yes, they want a “third way” and “mutual understanding” as long as they can define what that means. Their search of a monolithic view point is an exercise in futility until they are willing to engage in the discussion instead of blaming it on isolation which, ironically, is what they’ve done to their organization. They’ve isolated themselves from most of America.

All add this as well- the Republican Party starting down this exact same road. Seeing what they want to see and hearing what they want to hear. The DNC has just traveled farther down it than them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
it certainly does

what's funny is that I would be totally cool with this

you know, if it were actually ever offered to me. I've never seen it, and it certainly doesn't describe Hillary in any way shape or form
I agree with that list except I would be socially conservative/moderate. I would have voted for that candidate regardless of party. I suppose, in some sense, I did when I voted for Gary Johnson. He was much closer to their standard than Hillary. But for them he was affiliated with the wrong party. If they hold to those principles, it baffles me how they supported Hillary as their candidate.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I agree with that list except I would be socially conservative/moderate. I would have voted for that candidate regardless of party. I suppose, in some sense, I did when I voted for Gary Johnson. He was much closer to their standard than Hillary. But for them he was affiliated with the wrong party. If they hold to those principles, it baffles me how they supported Hillary as their candidate.

right there with you across the board. Voted for Johnson in 12 and would have again if I didn't consider Trump to be so spectacularly unfit as a human to hold this or any office that I had to pull the lever for Hillary

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I always laugh my ash off every single time I hear this hackneyed liberal phrase (or a variant) - "Republicans persuaded people to vote against their own interests."

This is the most condescending, mind-boggling sack of crap argument I've ever heard, and I've heard it now for thirty years. But I've come to expect that from the leftist theoriticians who confuse THEIR best interests (more power for them) with those voters they're basically saying are "stupid."

Here's a hint everybody needs to learn - just because someone votes for Candidate X (whoever that is) DOES NOT mean that they endorse the most distasteful thing about that candidate as any sort of asset or that they even approve of it. (Amazingly enough, these folks never had a problem with saying "just because I voted for Clinton doesn't mean I approve of him cheating on his wife" and yet they think voting for Trump is a vote for white nationalism because of David Duke - sorry, that ain't reality).

The REAL divide is not and has never been left/right, it's rural/city dwellers. And because some stupid snits like living in the city themselves (free country, nothing wrong with it) they not only don't understand someone who likes the country but they want to change that person because from their arrogant standpoint there is obviously something wrong with anyone who would want to just be left the hell alone. (Notice that I am not saying every single person who lives in the city is a stupid snit - just the ones who want to impose their own thoughts on others).

The stupid thing is that they get this lesson so many times and they just don't get it. What they do instead is concoct the idea that the reason they lost was NOT because something was wrong with them and NOT because people didn't buy what they're selling but - egads! - they lost because of "racist appeals" by the Republicans/conservatives.

I'm not by any stretch saying we should follow every hare-brained idea from out in the country any more than we should from the supposed elites.

The thing with these articles is they always bring out their own condescending smugness while insisting how open-minded they are. What I've found to be almost always 100% true is that the more a person HAS to insist that THEY are being open-minded, the more closed-minded they actually are.

Or to paraphrase what I once learned in a military class, "It doesn't fit my paradigm."

These idiots aren't smart enough to realize their paradigm might possibly be the problem.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Leftist nut from San Francisco claims middle America has isolated itself. Riiiiiiiiight.

I don't understand the comment.

It seems to me the isolationism being discussed pertained to ideology and not race.

Portland is 71% white. Alabama 68%. Both have a history of treating blacks poorly. Alabama is 26% black. Portland is 5%. Yet Portland is one extreme and Alabama another. Yet Alabama is "more diverse" than Portland by percentage of white population, though not by total mix.

And the "hippies" and unionists in the article were every bit as isolationist as any conservative groups. They also placed blame on "the other" every bit as much.

Race appears to be a red herring here. The issue seems more ideological/partisan purity, not racial purity. And it seems to come from both major parties.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This whole tour was about ideology not demographics as you wrongly suggest. I understand those two things are not completely, mutually exclusive. They sought to gain an “understanding” across a large sample of people from several backgrounds. Even some who were Democrats.
It seems to me the isolationism being discussed pertained to ideology and not race.

Portland is 71% white. Alabama 68%. Both have a history of treating blacks poorly. Alabama is 26% black. Portland is 5%. Yet Portland is one extreme and Alabama another. Yet Alabama is "more diverse" than Portland by percentage of white population, though not by total mix.
Calm down, guys. I barely skimmed the article and was merely offering an alternative explanation to whatever point Bodhi was intimating.

I'm not sure what relevance Portland and Alabama have to this comment, nor the relevance of comparing racial makeup of a city to an entire state. The woman he cited was from SF and made the comment about isolation while standing in a small Wisconsin town that happens to be nearly 100% white and non-hispanic. Homogeneity of people tends to yield homogeneity of ideas, which is how I interpreted her comment.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Calm down, guys. I barely skimmed the article and was merely offering an alternative explanation to whatever point Bodhi was intimating.

I'm not sure what relevance Portland and Alabama have to this comment, nor the relevance of comparing racial makeup of a city to an entire state. The woman he cited was from SF and made the comment about isolation while standing in a small Wisconsin town that happens to be nearly 100% white and non-hispanic. Homogeneity of people tends to yield homogeneity of ideas, which is how I interpreted her comment.
folks seem to be eager to scoff condescendingly at the elites

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.